Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Went to Blowout cards today - one of the workers there thinks that due to Bedard being injured AND so many of them being printed, the product will be a lot cheaper in a few months. Another one said prior to that that the product will go up even higher. I wasn't collecting when other big rookies came out - so do I try to snag some boxes/tins on day of release or wait?

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I’ve changed my mind. I’m swapping out McDavid for an OPC Gretzky rookie. Upper Deck printed too many McDavid cards for my liking. So with that said, between the great one, and Sid the kid, who is your go to?
Sid for sure. Less of his cards out there, already has top 5-10 career. McDavid could surpass him but odds are he won’t.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
You’d take Sid even over an OPC Gretzky rookie?
I would yup. Card collecting wasn't near as popular in 2005 as it is now. So because of that, they were not printing near as many as they do now, or even did in 1979 with Gretzky. Sid will go down as one of the best ever and due to supply and demand down the road, I only see his card going way up over the years.

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Calgary, AB
I would yup. Card collecting wasn't near as popular in 2005 as it is now. So because of that, they were not printing near as many as they do now, or even did in 1979 with Gretzky. Sid will go down as one of the best ever and due to supply and demand down the road, I only see his card going way up over the years.
Wonder how many copies of the OPC Gretz they printed back in 79. I know McDavid is absolutely flooding the market which is why I’m staying away from him

PSfan

Dec 20, 2018
Dude is sitting there with his card worth 700 dollars now.
um, there is a listing on ebay for one, and they are asking $12499.00 cnd, I think you missed the part where they where looking for the high gloss flavor

This only peaked my interest because a High Gloss Vincent Desharnais young guns showed up on my facebook marketplace and he was asking $700.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
um, there is a listing on ebay for one, and they are asking $12499.00 cnd, I think you missed the part where they where looking for the high gloss flavor

This only peaked my interest because a High Gloss Vincent Desharnais young guns showed up on my facebook marketplace and he was asking $700.
Asking and getting something for it are two different things.

You have to check sold part to see what someone is, or at least was willing to pay for it.

Reactions: Hippasus and Spear

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Wonder how many copies of the OPC Gretz they printed back in 79. I know McDavid is absolutely flooding the market which is why I’m staying away from him
How do you know? Does Beckett have a population report still for BGS graded cards or something?

When it comes to Gretzky, McDavid, Crosby, I think highest potential all-time ranking is by far the most important criterion, and that's the order I would put them in. Even if it's not their most valuable rookie, that doesn't matter that much to me anymore. I love my two Yzerman Topps rookies in their hard jewel cases, even though O-Pee-Chee is usually considered more valuable.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1707233597017.png
1707233635205.png
1707233680624.png

ive been speckling ygs on epack since uds1 released last week... completed 5 so far including this flames trio

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Beckett 9.5 are equivalent to psa 10, beckett 10 are of a higher grade then psa 10 (stupid i know)
I've almost always seen the PSA 10 sell for more than Beckett 9.5. It's almost because there's a 10 on it.

PSA 10 should be worth less than Beckett 9.5, but for some reason it isn't

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1707317355560.png

Last one for a bit - there's only like ~450 odd Wright ygs on the ePack platform so this one took a couple days. The Kraken jersey looks great with the 22-23 YG design imo. I think I'll try to do Brandt Clarke over the weekend.

Reactions: BWJM

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
As someone who was a huge collector back in the day and slowly is getting back into it, and whose son is really getting into the hobby...

Is it safe to suggest that the hobby is a whole lot different than the peak in the late 80s into the mid-90s? Back then it was about completing sets and collecting as many common cards, with the feeling of hitting the jackpot if you got a specialty card. Whereas these days it feels like (and certainly tell me if I'm wrong) it is the opposite -- common cards are ho-hum, and it's all about getting the 1 of X cards, autographed and/or jersey cards, specific players/rookies, etc. Not to mention the huge emphasis on having your cards graded to ensure their value and condition.

I'm of the mindset that quality is greater than quantity. Spend the money on the cards you are most interested in. I also speak as one, who perhaps is in the minority, who views card collecting as something for my lifelong keepsakes than merely investment opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad