Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There are a handful of hobby boxes available in the $100-$150 CAD range. When you consider inflation, a $100 box now would be the equivalent to a $78 box in 2014.

I suspect a lot of 22-23 stuff will go down further in price. Before the pandemic, there were boxes sitting on shelves for 5-10 years, unsold even at markdowns. Even something like 15-16 OPC Platinum was available for under $200 in quantities from some hobby shops. There was a run on sealed product during the pandemic and everything got cleared out.

People will say that Bedard will bring interest to the hobby, but he won't. He will bring interest to Bedard-year products. Additionally, people who gamble on boxes will move their limited funds away from products that don't have Bedard, to fund purchasing Bedard-year products. Those Bedard-year products are going to be obscenely expensive.

Unless someone breaks out huge like Draisaitl did for 14-15, those sealed products are going to continue to go down in value if there is as much of them on the shelf as it seems like.

No one who is excited about Bedard cards is running to buy a hobby box of Upper Deck extended to chase a Cam Dineen Young Guns.

You can already buy 24 pack retail boxes of 2021/22 Series 1 and 2 for $20 USD. Can't really lose with those prices. Some great rookies in there, like Byfield, Zegras, Caufield, McTavish, Raymond, Seider, Perfetti, Swayman, etc... one of them is bound to break out in 5ish years.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
So bad it's good? lol

2023-24-Upper-Deck-Series-1-Hockey-Cards-UD-Portraits-Connor-McDavid.jpeg

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
You can already buy 24 pack retail boxes of 2021/22 Series 1 and 2 for $20 USD. Can't really lose with those prices. Some great rookies in there, like Byfield, Zegras, Caufield, McTavish, Raymond, Seider, Perfetti, Swayman, etc... one of them is bound to break out in 5ish years.
Have you got a link for this? Haven't bought any cards in years but I'm kind of curious. Thanks!

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Reactions: Sparty

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Wtf. Arent they robed from top cards and repacked? Thats huge discount. In Slovakia, there is is 22/23 hoby box for at least 120 €.
No. These are sealed products. All three of these sites are very reputable and all very well known. Yes, unless there is a huge rookie, the products go on big discounts a couple of years after they produced.

Reactions: joestevens29

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Since i buy to collect only, I wait till they are at clearance level prices. Every time I have bought current stuff when joining the hype, i have regretted it.

I buy a little new release stuff some time. You can often make some cash back by selling over-hyped stuff that you don't want to keep. It's also fun to get in on the excitement of a new product. It's almost always a bad investment to buy stuff new, with the exception of for example, getting a McDavid level product at retail.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I can only afford one at the moment

What grade range you looking at picking up?

I think i would go with a crosby. His career is closer to ending so probably less risk of his card price plummeting due to a stupid scandal. Mcdavid comes off pretty dry but we really have no idea what hes really like in life

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Calgary, AB
What grade range you looking at picking up?

I think i would go with a crosby. His career is closer to ending so probably less risk of his card price plummeting due to a stupid scandal. Mcdavid comes off pretty dry but we really have no idea what hes really like in life
I’ve changed my mind. I’m swapping out McDavid for an OPC Gretzky rookie. Upper Deck printed too many McDavid cards for my liking. So with that said, between the great one, and Sid the kid, who is your go to?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad