Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Have you seen the prices of Panini Prizm for other sports? A hobby box of Prizm football is around $900. There's about 30 different parallels for it now. The Prizm hockey cards from 12-13 (inserted into Rookie Anthology) and 13-14 have gotten a little bump in value.

• Wow
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I think it's better to focus on rookies than all these inserts and specialty cards--defined as a greater than or equal to 99 base set print run corresponding to the given player's rookie NHL season. Lindros' Score rookie might be an exception, but still.

Last edited:

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Calgary, AB
Say you’ve got cash for only 1 card. Who do you go for? Crosby YG or McDavid YG? Have either of them topped out yet value wise or is there room to grow? I’m torn

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
My worry is that they made so many McDavid cards which will hurt resale value down the road. Or not, I dunno
I recently picked up an Alex Ovechkin hard signed true rookie auto for almost 50% the cost of a PSA 10 Ovechkin YG. I think the YGs are overrated as a whole. There's a good amount of supply and demand which makes them easy to move, but the stuff I'm buying to hold long term are hard signed true rookie cards.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Series 2 at that price range is wild. Especially with the rumours that a couple of the top prospects will be placed in extended instead…

Might be $500+ for a chance of Bedard that’s it.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Best company to send cards to, to get graded?

People send them via UPS or something insured To company?
If you're looking to keep them in your own personal collection, my humble opinion is SGC. They're nice slabs, and much less expensive than PSA. If you're looking to flip, and think you may have a 10, then definitely PSA. PSA cards fetch a lot more than SGC, and miles more than KSA.

Last edited:

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I sent in a Jason Robertson The Cup Rookie Patch Auto Home jersey paralell card about a year ago last winter. It's the one with 4 patch section on the corners of the card.

Never got any update from Upper Deck, but just the other day the card showed up in a random bubble mailer style envelope. I'll take it!!
Let's see it!

Reactions: Selanne00008

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Incoming BGS 8.5.... will look nice with the PSA 7 I bought a few years ago.

1705679287959.png
1705679352724.png

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I guess they had Ovechkin sign all 299 cards in one sitting. His wrist must have gotten tired at some point after signing card #191 because it looks shorter and a bit different on card #257. It would be interesting to see card #1 and card #299 beside each other just to see how much his signature changed at the end of the signing session. Nice cards though. :thumbu:

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
2023-24 UDS2 tins pre-ordering for ... $175 CAD lmfao. Context: UDS1 tins are $65 CAD

That is market value.

They are cutting out the resellers. It is what it is.

If tins were retail price, they wouldn't be available anyways because they would get scooped up the same day.

Demand for hockey cards has increased substantially over the last few years because of people outside of hockey turning to it as a substitute product for sports that are more popular.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Stumbled across boxes and boxes sports cards in an abandoned auction house. Mostly late 80's early 90s stuff, the dead era of sports cards unfortunately. Tons of decent names of the era but nothing of value. Ended up selling big boxes of cards for $25 a piece. Seemed like the value was more in all the plastic cases on each of the cards. I got excited to go through it all, as it was a nice trip down memory lane, but checking sold items on ebay the most valuable thing I found was just a few bucks. To make money you need something really old or the really new fancy ones. 30 years ago they just printed too many of these things.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That is market value.

They are cutting out the resellers. It is what it is.

If tins were retail price, they wouldn't be available anyways because they would get scooped up the same day.

Demand for hockey cards has increased substantially over the last few years because of people outside of hockey turning to it as a substitute product for sports that are more popular.

I bought two cases of tins from a retailer in Quebec. I'm pretty skeptical about whether I will actually receive them. If I don't, I don't think it will be the end of the world. Bedard looks good, but I don't see his cards holding the value of a Crosby or McDavid in the future. Plus they will print the crap out of his YGs.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I guess they had Ovechkin sign all 299 cards in one sitting. His wrist must have gotten tired at some point after signing card #191 because it looks shorter and a bit different on card #257. It would be interesting to see card #1 and card #299 beside each other just to see how much his signature changed at the end of the signing session. Nice cards though. :thumbu:
lmao yeah, i thought the same thing - but as long as there's no streaks and the auto is big/bold i'll take it.

a lot of his new stuff looks rushed as hell (this is from 21-22 cup)

1705702892106.png

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
God what a shitty hobby.

It's a hobby based around gambling and speculation. It's basically scratch tickets but probably less efficient so I can't take anybody complaining about the price of sealed boxes being placed at market value seriously.

There is no reasonable argument of why people should expect a tin where you have an equal chance at a flagship card that will be worth $1000 to be the same price as a tin where the flagship Young Guns card was worth $100 or whatever.

The only people I respect in the hobby are obscure player collectors, or weirdos who put together base sets. Those are the people who love hockey cards with zero interest in gambling or capitalizing. It's ironic for people to get upset at distributors, card shops, or resellers, when the entire hobby is built on capitalizing, gambling, and speculating. There are very few people who are in the hobby with no financial angle or stake.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I bought two cases of tins from a retailer in Quebec. I'm pretty skeptical about whether I will actually receive them. If I don't, I don't think it will be the end of the world. Bedard looks good, but I don't see his cards holding the value of a Crosby or McDavid in the future. Plus they will print the crap out of his YGs.

I don't mind hobby shops charging market value, but it would be pretty low to cancel pre-orders, unless it is a situation where they have absolutely no choice due to the distributors not honouring the original price.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

This always makes me think, how many cards do players sign every year? Rookies must have thousands, but has anyone done a count on it?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I don't mind hobby shops charging market value, but it would be pretty low to cancel pre-orders, unless it is a situation where they have absolutely no choice due to the distributors not honouring the original price.

I ran the risk of ordering from a store that I can't physically go to, as the price was just so much better than everywhere else. My fear is that they've oversold, either purposely or not. It would be extremely low, to cancel a pre-order just because the price went up though. That may happen too.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
It's a hobby based around gambling and speculation. It's basically scratch tickets but probably less efficient so I can't take anybody complaining about the price of sealed boxes being placed at market value seriously.

There is no reasonable argument of why people should expect a tin where you have an equal chance at a flagship card that will be worth $1000 to be the same price as a tin where the flagship Young Guns card was worth $100 or whatever.

The only people I respect in the hobby are obscure player collectors, or weirdos who put together base sets. Those are the people who love hockey cards with zero interest in gambling or capitalizing. It's ironic for people to get upset at distributors, card shops, or resellers, when the entire hobby is built on capitalizing, gambling, and speculating. There are very few people who are in the hobby with no financial angle or stake.
I’m one of the weirdos who likes base cards. They are cheap, have a picture of the very same player, and I can build unique collections for hardly any cost at all. Why pay $100 for a card when I can get one for $0.30? I have weird collections but they are mine…and did I mention they were cheap?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I am not about the investment factor. I like collecting Vancouver Canuck rookie cards. I try and get the all time greats in BGS 9.5 or PSA 10, but for the most part I like collecting Canucks rookies just to keep my OCD content.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad