Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I just spent a week organizing and hard-sleeving my modest childhood collection, which dates from 1972-76 (mainly). It had been boxed up for 40+ years, and while not really interested in selling ATM I looked at eBay to see which were the more valuable among them. Most aren't worth anything, obviously, especially the ones I wrote on or used for various games we'd play, but some were being offered at fairly impressive prices. However, there seemed to be a lot of eBay auctions/offers for even the high priced, supposely rare, ones, and I didn't notice any of those actually selling during the time I was looking at them.

I am a long-time collector of postcards, including some hockey ones, so I know how collectibles markets work, and how pricing can be disappointing sometimes (most times), but I was wondering what the state of the (older) hockey card market was like right now and whether there is a better way than looking on eBay to get a grasp of their typical selling prices these days.

I use 130point website as it also includes some auction house sales in addition to ebay. Much more efficient to look something up.

Reactions: Andy6

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Is the new Connor Bedard SP-1 Draft Pick card way over valued right now? Seems like they are going for a lot for a card without a limited # or auto.

If you want to know if a card is overpriced, you can look at equivalent cards and what they sell for now.

Unless the hobby as a whole goes into a boom period, people are almost certainly overpaying for the Bedard card at 500 CAD+ per.

It isn't so much the price as it is that nobody cares about that short print. Interest in that card is inflated right now because there is nothing else out there of his to buy. There is a PSA 9 of the McDavid equivalent, sitting around unsold at 750 CAD. The Jack Hughes equivalent is a $200 or so CAD card, give or take.

So you can probably conclude that in the long run, even if everything goes great for Bedard, those cards aren't a good buy.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
UDS1 is $14 per pack in Sweden. There is a Swedish dealer selling packs, boxes, tins, blasters and binders at Avicii.

Prices were astronomical but they must pay a penny or two to import into Sweden.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Stature comes out on Wednesday. Dont forget to contact me if anything Islanders is pulled from it.

• Haha
Reactions: BWJM

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
IMG_5060.jpeg

Traded a couple NBA slabs for this guy at the Langley Event Center card show this weekend. Basketball for hockey is always a win in my books.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
IMG_7319.jpeg
This is why I’m a massive fan of Stature. Design alone just keeps getting better compared to what UD has done over the years with SPA/SPx/SPGU/Artifacts. Price point is actually decent for what you get (8 cards for $135 USD) compared to what some other comparables go for in that range.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Another good looking one. Stature is a great product imo.
Honestly would probably rank it as best product line they’ve put out in recent years. Everything is on card, the patches are top notch and the artwork is beautiful. 20-21 was just a mess with the QC (centering issues galore) but just about everything then was.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I am new to getting my cards graded, thinking about doing my first submission, but want to know some people's thoughts. I bought some so I know how it works pretty well but never the other way around

It's mostly young guns and Future Watch Auto, in mid-late 00's since I only ever bought UD1/2 and SPA. And only 1 or 2 boxes a year. So like they're all retired/retiring soon and be HOFers. So they're valuable but not like it's The Cup or anything.

I have some questions, is it worth it if I know my card won't get a 10, and probably not a 9. I'd be happy with an 8? Like my one Crosby YG came out of the box with a bad corner. So I'm paranoided it will get like a 6 or something.

How far down the value should I get cards graded, like the Perry, Getzlaf, Carter, Staals, Backstrom, Kessel, Pietrangelo, Checklists of the world? Like by the time I pay for the grading fee, insurance, shipping etc and all in US dollars it's gets expensive.

I don't plan on flipping them on ebay but I'm willing to invest if I do ever decide to sell

NYRfan39

Dec 29, 2011
Anyone here crack any new "2021-2022 The CUP" boxes/cases? Been watching them. Seems decent but came out so late.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
Anyone here crack any new "2021-2022 The CUP" boxes/cases? Been watching them. Seems decent but came out so late.
Watched zeeree on YouTube crack one, feel bad for anyone buying boxes/cases at the current price. Box should be half the price it is…still doesn’t seem like the value would be there even then. Prices on “higher end” hockey are nuts and in no way sustainable

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

NYRfan39

Dec 29, 2011
Watched zeeree on YouTube crack one, feel bad for anyone buying boxes/cases at the current price. Box should be half the price it is…still doesn’t seem like the value would be there even then. Prices on “higher end” hockey are nuts and in no way sustainable
Totally agreed, overpriced! Better to buy singles.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
We all don’t have Ranger corporate ticket money to afford The Cup. Product is way too expensive. Stature at $130 is fancy enough.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
Totally agreed, overpriced! Better to buy singles.
That’s mostly what I do as well, but then I suppose we need someone to crack the boxes lol. I but the occasional hobby box of S1 or S2, and without fail, I’m disappointed every time. I enjoy ripping packs, but when it’s all said and done there’s no way I’m getting my money back selling the “hits”. I mostly collect Avs cards, and singles are substantially cheaper than trying to collect pulls to sell/trade for what I actually want

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I am new to getting my cards graded, thinking about doing my first submission, but want to know some people's thoughts. I bought some so I know how it works pretty well but never the other way around

It's mostly young guns and Future Watch Auto, in mid-late 00's since I only ever bought UD1/2 and SPA. And only 1 or 2 boxes a year. So like they're all retired/retiring soon and be HOFers. So they're valuable but not like it's The Cup or anything.

I have some questions, is it worth it if I know my card won't get a 10, and probably not a 9. I'd be happy with an 8? Like my one Crosby YG came out of the box with a bad corner. So I'm paranoided it will get like a 6 or something.

How far down the value should I get cards graded, like the Perry, Getzlaf, Carter, Staals, Backstrom, Kessel, Pietrangelo, Checklists of the world? Like by the time I pay for the grading fee, insurance, shipping etc and all in US dollars it's gets expensive.

I don't plan on flipping them on ebay but I'm willing to invest if I do ever decide to sell
Crosby graded is worth it.

Do an ebay search for those rookies graded for which company you're going with and see if it's worth it in your opinion.

If you're going with Beckett and it's for yourself and the cost isn't really an issue, I'd go for lesser cards as I like the slabs beckett has. PSA seems more generous with their grading, but their slabs aren't as nice.

Reactions: tmlms13

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Never buy loose boxes of this product.

99.9% of the time, for modern cards, only grade cards you think you’ll get a 10 on.

Reactions: Keggatron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad