Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nhlanon1

Oct 15, 2023
I don't buy trading cards, but I do follow it some. It's basically another form of gambling/loot boxes at this point. Aside from the odds, the worst part about it is that the condition of the card is another form of gambling on its own. Even if you find the big hit, there's no saying there won't be a dent on it or that it won't be a poor print, completely tanking its value. I can't believe that's a problem that exists in 2023.

I also have a hard time believing that the companies don't keep the good cards for themselves or give their friends/family members first dibs on them. There's no legal oversight, there's no way to know and there's potentially millions up for grabs. I wouldn't even be shocked if some of the big youtubers like Packman are sponsored by the trading card companies themselves to promote card sales.

If I was going into this, I would just invest in older cards with an established track record and buy new rookie cards directly. Buying blasters and mega boxes is like a slot machine that costs $30-$300 a pull and the odds are not in your favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I went to the national. The biggest card show on the planet and can confirm the hobby is dead.

I would suggest people here find the sports cards radio channel on youtube.
In the U.S I agree that Baseball/Basketball/Football is much more popular, my statement was go to "Toronto" in November. Hockey is still very popular in Canada.
I've opened two cases and have pulled four Bedards.

SSSSP they are not
OK, so you can't stop talking about how hockey is dead. And then you go and buy two cases....

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
just bought two boxes, not cases. will come in monday. give me all of your energy when i open the boxes

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
IMG_7125.jpeg
IMG_7124.jpeg

Broke 4 boxes of my case of s2. These are the better hits minus my YGs for the set. 8 boxes left to go but I might just let them sit for a bit. Only 2 dupe YGs out of 4 boxes which is nice. The Outburst parallels look shawp in person. Good to see they replaced the French base with something that actually looks cool. The deluxe cards are just confusing to look at.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Is the new Connor Bedard SP-1 Draft Pick card way over valued right now? Seems like they are going for a lot for a card without a limited # or auto.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Is the new Connor Bedard SP-1 Draft Pick card way over valued right now? Seems like they are going for a lot for a card without a limited # or auto.
The short answer is yes. The only way it changes is if he turns into the player he’s projected to be (all signs point to yes with that). So is just about everything in the industry though.

Somewhat related note, I hit one of them and will probably let it collect dust since I’m lazy and don’t care to sell anything anymore due to what sneakerheads and the street wear bros did to the hobby.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I just spent a week organizing and hard-sleeving my modest childhood collection, which dates from 1972-76 (mainly). It had been boxed up for 40+ years, and while not really interested in selling ATM I looked at eBay to see which were the more valuable among them. Most aren't worth anything, obviously, especially the ones I wrote on or used for various games we'd play, but some were being offered at fairly impressive prices. However, there seemed to be a lot of eBay auctions/offers for even the high priced, supposely rare, ones, and I didn't notice any of those actually selling during the time I was looking at them.

I am a long-time collector of postcards, including some hockey ones, so I know how collectibles markets work, and how pricing can be disappointing sometimes (most times), but I was wondering what the state of the (older) hockey card market was like right now and whether there is a better way than looking on eBay to get a grasp of their typical selling prices these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad