Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I'm thinking about doing the same- $175-200 CAD per box is steep. I remember selling Lafreniere YGs and YGCs for ~$200-250 CAD at release so I wonder if Bedard pushes $400-500. I guess we'll have had 4 months of watching him in the NHL to build up hype
LCS will intentionally hold onto boxes limiting supplies and drive up prices.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm thinking about doing the same- $175-200 CAD per box is steep. I remember selling Lafreniere YGs and YGCs for ~$200-250 CAD at release so I wonder if Bedard pushes $400-500. I guess we'll have had 4 months of watching him in the NHL to build up hype
Bedard YG has got to push more.

His rookie from MVP is 500+

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have to check now, but there is a local store that is doing pre-orders. If you want to pre-order season 2 you have to pre-order the same amount of season 1.

I could've sworn it was going to be for the same price, but maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
20230929_091447.jpg

My collection inside a collection.

I collection Roy, but I like to collect the late 90s, early 2000s of cards that are pretty much the exact same, except there's a serial number slapped on it and the cards value goes up by 20, 30, 50, or even 100 times.

Those are my newest additions.

Attachments

• 20230929_091450.jpg
    20230929_091450.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230929_091455.jpg
    20230929_091455.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230929_091459.jpg
    20230929_091459.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 5

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
What do you more veteran card collectors think this Gretzky rookie will go for? I am looking an investment.

If owning a Wayne Gretzky near-mint rookie card is going to bring you joy then by all means go ahead.

But for the love of God please don't do it as an "investment". Take that $4700 bucks and drop it into a TFSA (if you're Canadian) and then buy into a index mutual fund.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If owning a Wayne Gretzky near-mint rookie card is going to bring you joy then by all means go ahead.

But for the love of God please don't do it as an "investment". Take that $4700 bucks and drop it into a TFSA (if you're Canadian) and then buy into a index mutual fund.
Yeah right. I have tons of stocks. Been terrible last 2 years

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah right. I have tons of stocks. Been terrible last 2 years

Over the last two years stocks have been basically flat, so not exactly terrible but not great. Over the last 5 years they've been very good.

I would still maintain buying collectibles as an investment is a terrible idea. If you want to collect something, go ahead! If it winds up being worth more money down the road, even better!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Over the last two years stocks have been basically flat, so not exactly terrible but not great. Over the last 5 years they've been very good.

I would still maintain buying collectibles as an investment is a terrible idea. If you want to collect something, go ahead! If it winds up being worth more money down the road, even better

I would still maintain buying collectibles as an investment is a terrible idea. If you want to collect something, go ahead! If it winds up being worth more money down the road, even better!
Flat? Christmas 2021 S&P500 was 4,800. Now it's hoveriing around 4,300. That's not flat, that's terrible. A two year return of minus 10%

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
What do you more veteran card collectors think this Gretzky rookie will go for? I am looking an investment.

I wouldn't touch it, often a KSA card will drop at least 2 levels to a PSA, menaing there's a good chance this is a PSA 6. Look up the prices sold for PSA 6, you're taking a big risk at that price.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Anybody who doesn't think Bedards YG's will drop at 800 to 1k are fooling themselves and that's low end.

When and IF it drops its going to be the card everyone is going to be chasing from all sports and all the breakers will be ripping it.

Did I mention Upper Deck changed their flagship product just for breakers? I mean nobody put two and two together or did everyone actually think they made their flagship product more Fanatics gambling-esque to what? Save money?

UD flagship is the hockey equivalent of Bowman Chrome baseball with the prospect autographs replaced with Young Guns. Bedard is a bigger deal then anybody on the baseball prospect checklist.

Generational talent, most popular team in the states that just so happens to be the only cap era dynasty. Yeah....that cards easily a grand. The influencers are chomping at the bit to pump the kid up then watch everyone buy him at ridiculous prices.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
So, Bedard Canvas is in Series 1 ?
Can’t make a card of anybody until they play a regular season game. UD is so far behind that in order to help catch up they decided to make S1 all holdover rookies from last season, that way they could get a head start and run the presses early to get S1 out at a reasonable time like it used to be. Most if not all of S1 has probably been printed already and can’t contain a Bedard card.

I’m betting the Bedard canvas will be held for Extended to help drive that product. This years S1 is going to be a filler product that isn’t going to sell, evidenced by shops making people order S1 if they want any shot of getting S2. It won’t sell on its own because it’s effectively DOA and everybody knows it so shops want you to burn money on it for the privilege of getting S2.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Flat? Christmas 2021 S&P500 was 4,800. Now it's hoveriing around 4,300. That's not flat, that's terrible. A two year return of minus 10%
Largely skewed by 2022. It happens. What you're invested in also matters. Despite the turmoil of '22 many, including myself, are still ahead. I am looking long term. I like my chances with a mutual fund over a card that anyone that can afford it, most likely, already has. To each his own.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Just got back into collecting again after taking 10+ years off. Since having kids it's become way too expensive. Anyways happy to be back.

Just bought the latest Beckett with Bergeron on the cover. I noticed that a lot of the early mass produced cards are no longer listed in Beckett. 90's Pro Sets, Parkhurst and even Score. Funny because there are some very good rookies in these sets, Hasek, Lidstrom, Lindros and Brodeur. Does anyone know why Beckett doesnt price them anymore?

I just bought a Parkhurst PSA 10 Hasek rookie off of Ebay, I was interested in knowing what the value of the ungraded Hasek would be?
Is the Upperdeck or Parkhurst Hasek more desirable?

Thanks

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Anybody who doesn't think Bedards YG's will drop at 800 to 1k are fooling themselves and that's low end.

When and IF it drops its going to be the card everyone is going to be chasing from all sports and all the breakers will be ripping it.

Did I mention Upper Deck changed their flagship product just for breakers? I mean nobody put two and two together or did everyone actually think they made their flagship product more Fanatics gambling-esque to what? Save money?

UD flagship is the hockey equivalent of Bowman Chrome baseball with the prospect autographs replaced with Young Guns. Bedard is a bigger deal then anybody on the baseball prospect checklist.

Generational talent, most popular team in the states that just so happens to be the only cap era dynasty. Yeah....that cards easily a grand. The influencers are chomping at the bit to pump the kid up then watch everyone buy him at ridiculous prices.

Id expect that bedard to be more laf was in that ballpark and bedards more hype plus laf didnt blow away the field

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

And look at the drop that already happening with all sorts of collectibles. It's a lot more than 10%, and Gretzky's are already down more than 10% from two years ago.

Can’t make a card of anybody until they play a regular season game. UD is so far behind that in order to help catch up they decided to make S1 all holdover rookies from last season, that way they could get a head start and run the presses early to get S1 out at a reasonable time like it used to be. Most if not all of S1 has probably been printed already and can’t contain a Bedard card.

I’m betting the Bedard canvas will be held for Extended to help drive that product. This years S1 is going to be a filler product that isn’t going to sell, evidenced by shops making people order S1 if they want any shot of getting S2. It won’t sell on its own because it’s effectively DOA and everybody knows it so shops want you to burn money on it for the privilege of getting S2.
I'm skipping S1. If there are good Flames rookies I'll go into a team select group break, but that's likely it until it goes on sale. My best is you'll be able to find $8-15 USD blasters, just like 2021/22 S2.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Gotta love UD. I sent in 2 damaged cards from Extended. One was a SPx /50 of Shane Wright and the other was a History Class /25 of Slavkovsky. This is what the replacements were:

IMG_6969.jpeg

The Clarke /25 goes for less then what the Slaf History Class /100 has been going for and they used the bonus irrelevant YG to balance out the value from what the rep told me today. These will wind up back with Upper Deck shortly for an upgrade.

• Wow
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad