Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yes it has always been and will always come down to rookie cards of past or future hall of famers. That’s what holds value. Numbered cards mid career won’t hold value unless they are first ballot hall of famers, and even then it’s really the generational ones that count.
I would like to add, the charismatic players who make people get out of their seats by non-goal scoring methods will also have traction for their small print run singles as well. National heroes, O6 franchise heroes, top fighters, tough guys, etc.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Can someone explain how e-cards worth? Like, is the UD E-Pack platform the way to start getting back into the hobby?

I have no use for e-cards and want the physical card itself. So is that an option (trying to understand the process from the search online)?
Yes you can ship your hits from epack home. Base cards are digital. But it's overpriced and it's gambling. You'll end up being disappointed most of the time.

You'd be better off depositing that money on COMC.com and bullding a collection to send home.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
Yes you can ship your hits from epack home. Base cards are digital. But it's overpriced and it's gambling. You'll end up being disappointed most of the time.

You'd be better off depositing that money on COMC.com and bullding a collection to send home.
Yeah, I’ve never done epack but I’ve ripped some boxes, and I’ve usually been disappointed. I’ve narrowed my collecting to a few players and one team, and focus on getting just the cards I want. So much more enjoyable, and no disappointment of bad boxes.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
They created an online site for Upper Deck products as a way to cut the middleman out. Ideally you’re buying the same product that’s in store and can ship home whatever’s physical. Base can be combined for an epack exclusive parallel as long as it doesn’t come from the free packs. Join and buy a few random packs to test it out if anything. Prices are MSRP so they are higher then what most LCS charge though which is a downside.
This isn’t really true although some LCS may think so. UD EPack still has to ship but now they have to deal more customers and they still have a middleman…I believe they use COMC for fulfillment. Now if they sold their eproduct for a discount, like 25% off retail instead of full retail, then for sure that would be predatory against LCS, especially in Canada.

The reason why EPack was made was to save money on base cards and to reach customers who don’t have a LCS that carries their product.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

There's more to ePack than just opening packs/gambling. You can buy singles from people (just join the ePack Facebook group) and trade with other people on the platform. I rarely open wax on ePack but I buy a ton of singles from people so I can build the rainbow speckled foil young guns.

I'd rather have my cards sitting on ePack instead of comc because on ePack I can trade them or sell them (via the facebook groups) without having to pay comc's fees.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
This isn’t really true although some LCS may think so. UD EPack still has to ship but now they have to deal more customers and they still have a middleman…I believe they use COMC for fulfillment. Now if they sold their eproduct for a discount, like 25% off retail instead of full retail, then for sure that would be predatory against LCS, especially in Canada.

The reason why EPack was made was to save money on base cards and to reach customers who don’t have a LCS that carries their product.
You don't need a LCS to buy products. You can get them online and shipped to your place at the discounted rate. I use Dave&Adams and Steelcity Collectibles a lot.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

With todays day and age of the internet, you can find just about every product cheaper than what Epacks charges. They’re releasing more “exclusive” products right now and soon it’ll be even more. Watch them cut out something like SP retail or SPx from retail stores to make it epacks only just to drum up business. Ovation, Ultra and Parkhurst all don’t have physical releases. I’ve been on the site since it started and all we’ve seen is QC go down substantially and customer service doing next to nothing about it.
If you want to go the COMC route, look at what the stock image cards are compared to what you recieve. 20-21 Metal was the perfect result of this. I had 5 Ovi Inserts all set substantially miscut compared to the stock image and COMC could care less.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Thanks for the responses regarding the e-packs. I opened up an account and have "opened" the free packs to get a "feel" of it.

But essentially they are pictures on my computer? The only way I can get a physical card is to buy e-packs off the site (not the free ones opened daily) and for it to have a physical equivalent?

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Thanks for the responses regarding the e-packs. I opened up an account and have "opened" the free packs to get a "feel" of it.

But essentially they are pictures on my computer? The only way I can get a physical card is to buy e-packs off the site (not the free ones opened daily) and for it to have a physical equivalent?
Yeah the free packs are useless. Typically when you buy a box, the inserts are physical cards, usually 1 per pack. Then you have the option to ship them home or transfer to COMC. You can sell the cards on COMC or ship them home from there.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO

The digital versions in purchased packs can also be combined (called foiling) to create physical versions.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

You can collect the whole set of free pack cards for a new avatar logo. That’s about it with them. If anything, buy a few packs of whatever cards you’re interested in to get some stuff to use as traders to then flip for other cards you may like more.

Reactions: CutOnDime97

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
20230829_124148-1.jpg

Picked this one up recently

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Came across this story about a collector with one of the more rarer card collections - HOFer Mike Piazza as a member of the Florida Marlins. For those that don't follow baseball closely - Piazza was traded by the Dodgers to Florida and then only spent 8 days and played in 5 games before getting traded to the NY Mets.

from wbur.org:

Jerry Dworkin is a collector. And his collection is so vast and so strange ... well, I’ll let him say it.

"I think you could say, arguably, this is the most unusual collection of any Hall of Famer, probably ever to be, given that the trading card company industry is not what it was way back when," Jerry says.

8 Days, 5 Games With The Marlins

It began in May of 1998. That’s when the Dodgers traded future Hall of Famer Mike Piazza to the then-Florida Marlins.

Eight days and five games later, Piazza was shipped north to the New York Mets.

Jerry Dworkin wasn’t aware of any of this when it happened. See, he’s not actually a baseball fan, and in 1998 he didn’t set out to collect anything.

But when one of Jerry’s friends mentioned that a trading card had been issued to commemorate Piazza’s eight days, five games in Miami…

"I was just struck by the oddity of the situation and that a card had been produced," Jerry says. "And it would probably become valuable someday. So I did buy it."

0317_oag-piazza-400x600.jpg

A few of Jerry Dworkin's Mike Piazza Marlins cards.

Jerry couldn’t describe that card for me. He doesn’t remember exactly which card in his collection was first. That’s because there were a lot more Piazza Marlins cards issued, and eventually Jerry would set out to collect them all.

Full story: Piazza's 8 Days, 5 Games With Marlins Leads To Decades-Long Obsession

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Came across this story about a collector with one of the more rarer card collections - HOFer Mike Piazza as a member of the Florida Marlins. For those that don't follow baseball closely - Piazza was traded by the Dodgers to Florida and then only spent 8 days and played in 5 games before getting traded to the NY Mets.

from wbur.org:

Jerry Dworkin is a collector. And his collection is so vast and so strange ... well, I’ll let him say it.

"I think you could say, arguably, this is the most unusual collection of any Hall of Famer, probably ever to be, given that the trading card company industry is not what it was way back when," Jerry says.

8 Days, 5 Games With The Marlins

It began in May of 1998. That’s when the Dodgers traded future Hall of Famer Mike Piazza to the then-Florida Marlins.

Eight days and five games later, Piazza was shipped north to the New York Mets.

Jerry Dworkin wasn’t aware of any of this when it happened. See, he’s not actually a baseball fan, and in 1998 he didn’t set out to collect anything.

But when one of Jerry’s friends mentioned that a trading card had been issued to commemorate Piazza’s eight days, five games in Miami…

"I was just struck by the oddity of the situation and that a card had been produced," Jerry says. "And it would probably become valuable someday. So I did buy it."

0317_oag-piazza-400x600.jpg

A few of Jerry Dworkin's Mike Piazza Marlins cards.

Jerry couldn’t describe that card for me. He doesn’t remember exactly which card in his collection was first. That’s because there were a lot more Piazza Marlins cards issued, and eventually Jerry would set out to collect them all.

Full story: Piazza's 8 Days, 5 Games With Marlins Leads To Decades-Long Obsession
He definitely has a corner on that market.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I just noticed that all 5 of the cards posted above are using slightly different versions of the exact same picture of Piazza. I guess when you only play 5 games there's not a lot to chose from. :laugh:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Those Sedin rookies are rated pretty high for that year. I think that Black Diamond set had a poor quality print run. I remember that because I think Thornton's best rookie is from that set.

Reactions: BWJM

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Steel City Collectibles is selling S2 for $80 more than S1. Is there scuttlebutt the Bedard will be in S2? I have yet to see a checklist for S1 posted.

Also how about the set of balls on UD: Upper Deck’s Flagship Series Has Been Refreshed! We’ve made notable changes to the Upper Deck Series to deliver an even more compelling collecting experience!

That is an imaginative way of saying "less for more".

Reactions: Satan

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Steel City Collectibles is selling S2 for $80 more than S1. Is there scuttlebutt the Bedard will be in S2? I have yet to see a checklist for S1 posted.

Also how about the set of balls on UD: Upper Deck’s Flagship Series Has Been Refreshed! We’ve made notable changes to the Upper Deck Series to deliver an even more compelling collecting experience!

That is an imaginative way of saying "less for more".
Yeah Bedard is expected to be in S2. My understanding is S1 won’t have any Bedard (not even canvas YG). I was talking with a buddy on the weekend who has a card shop and he said based on what’s he’s seen for S2 preorder, he expects retail price will be around $200CDN for a hobby box.

Upper Deck wants more of a cut because of the Bedard factor, and distributors are marking up prices while withholding product for the same reason. Dealers submit pre-orders for X amount of cases, and then being told by their distributor reps they won’t get nearly as much as they’re asking for. It’s expected that distributors are going to sit on a ton of product to limit supply and increase prices due to demand. Each time hobby shops want to re-order product with Bedard rookies, the price will only rise.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm torn on weather or not to pre-order S2. I may just wait until E-Pack comes out for hobby and hope to find some retail on sale.

Reactions: Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm torn on weather or not to pre-order S2. I may just wait until E-Pack comes out for hobby and hope to find some retail on sale.
I'm thinking about doing the same- $175-200 CAD per box is steep. I remember selling Lafreniere YGs and YGCs for ~$200-250 CAD at release so I wonder if Bedard pushes $400-500. I guess we'll have had 4 months of watching him in the NHL to build up hype

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm thinking that's the way I'm going the e-pack way.

Not only that, but overtime upper deck will send you free shit, so why not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad