Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I miss when Panini hockey products were dirt cheap and no one wanted them. They couldn’t give away 12-13 and 13-14 stuff for the most part
Panini had some great stuff. Classic Signatures was a nice set, and the Private Signings (inserted in various sets) had such a clean design and it was unique having the SP variants. Some of the SPs and SSPs sold extremely. Haven’t looked them up in a while but I imagine some still sell quite well.

Reactions: miscs75

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Young Guns are pretty overrated IMO. I’ve got exactly one in my PC and it’s a Sidney Crosby. They printed WAY less back then than they do now. McDavid’s print run is many multiples higher than Sid’s.

People keep sleeping on the Ultimate Rookies Auto RC.
Ice /99s I feel are criminally underrated by people. They’re the only true rookie that’s acetate and such insanely hard pulls. UD should have kept making Ice over SPGU and SPx in recent years.

Panini had some great stuff. Classic Signatures was a nice set, and the Private Signings (inserted in various sets) had such a clean design and it was unique having the SP variants. Some of the SPs and SSPs sold extremely. Haven’t looked them up in a while but I imagine some still sell quite well.
Private signings are such a massive set overall. The closest set to them is Franchise History Autographs. I’m missing 4 or 5 (including the triple auto) to have all the Islanders to date.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It will be very interesting to see what UD does with Bedard cards. Has UD signed him so they have autograph rights? Or is that still up in the air?

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
It will be very interesting to see what UD does with Bedard cards. Has UD signed him so they have autograph rights? Or is that still up in the air?
They will most likely push hard for an exclusive once he’s drafted. They are already working with him for CHL licensed cards. And there’s always the possibility that Leaf comes over the top and tries to sign him to an exclusive deal which would be a disaster for UD products. They’ve done it before albeit with lesser names. Hischier being one example.

Fingers crossed UD gets Bedard locked up.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I need a better box to keep my Roy cards. Switched to the smaller box, but was hoping to keep the slabs in there, but didn't quite fit.

Attachments

• 20230331_130054.jpg
    20230331_130054.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230331_125923.jpg
    20230331_125923.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 12

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Who's the first company to make a bathroom used piece of toilet paper card?

And who would be the fans who actually would want a card with Tom Brady's skid mark?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This was another fun set to complete. The names in it as well are solid too:

For me collecting lost a lot of its fun around 1990 when it just became a big market saturation and an investment thing. Lots of interesting innovations came along mind you but for me much of the joy and fun was destroyed. For the most part, my full set collection stopped not long after (like 94 or 95), which was kinda sad because I had been at it a few decades. That said, since 2000 there is one set I have actually tried to complete and I am still 7 cards short. They almost never surface. It's the 2003-04 Parkhurst Original 6 Toronto set. Not that it is anything spectacular, just a challenge. If I could ever finish it, it would be at most 1 of 20 complete sets, though possibly the only one, given there are many cards numbered to 20 or less.

Man oh man is it hard to get the last 7. Missing:

Sawchuk/20 Glove
Kennedy/20 glove
Conacher/20
Clark/30
Barilko/20
Sundin/50
Bailey/20 RN Glove

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
For me collecting lost a lot of its fun around 1990 when it just became a big market saturation and an investment thing. Lots of interesting innovations came along mind you but for me much of the joy and fun was destroyed. For the most part, my full set collection stopped not long after (like 94 or 95), which was kinda sad because I had been at it a few decades. That said, since 2000 there is one set I have actually tried to complete and I am still 7 cards short. They almost never surface. It's the 2003-04 Parkhurst Original 6 Toronto set. Not that it is anything spectacular, just a challenge. If I could ever finish it, it would be at most 1 of 20 complete sets, though possibly the only one, given there are many cards numbered to 20 or less.

Man oh man is it hard to get the last 7. Missing:

Sawchuk/20 Glove
Kennedy/20 glove
Conacher/20
Clark/30
Barilko/20
Sundin/50
Bailey/20 RN Glove
I had a huge gap from like 2003 to 2009 where I just didn’t pay attention. Talk about rough years to miss out on. All those early 00s ITG sets were amazing. The relics were all legit game used pieces and the artwork was spot on.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
I had a huge gap from like 2003 to 2009 where I just didn’t pay attention. Talk about rough years to miss out on. All those early 00s ITG sets were amazing. The relics were all legit game used pieces and the artwork was spot on.
Yeah those itg sets were legitimately sickening.

I think they cut up game used Vezina pads. I know they cut up a stick. I know they got a lot of flack for it but who wouldn't want to own something that belongs in a hall of fame? Same as a piece of a Ruth or DiMaggio bat or jersey.

There was that Babe Ruth collection junk wax where you had a shot at a really small sliver of his bat on clearance for 9.99 a box (remember those days?) at retail years ago and I lucked out into getting one when the odds were against it and most of the relics were old Yankee stadium seat cards which was in small letters on the front of the box. The only time I ever freaked out over a retail pull.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I think they cut up game used Vezina pads. I know they cut up a stick. I know they got a lot of flack for it but who wouldn't want to own something that belongs in a hall of fame? Same as a piece of a Ruth or DiMaggio bat or jersey.

There was that Babe Ruth collection junk wax where you had a shot at a really small sliver of his bat on clearance for 9.99 a box (remember those days?) at retail years ago and I lucked out into getting one when the odds were against it and most of the relics were old Yankee stadium seat cards which was in small letters on the front of the box. The only time I ever freaked out over a retail pull.
I never understood why ITG never had more traction? I never realized until recently that the man responsible is still involved but producing 1 of 1 cards and such. I was actually talking to him not long ago because I have some autographs I thought he might like to have for cards (Hap Day, King Clancy, Ballard, Howe and a whole slew of others).

Reactions: Cubs2024wildcard

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
I never understood why ITG never had more traction? I never realized until recently that the man responsible is still involved but producing 1 of 1 cards and such. I was actually talking to him not long ago because I have some autographs I thought he might like to have for cards (Hap Day, King Clancy, Ballard, Howe and a whole slew of others).
Your talking to the choir man.

I think they even had a little sub on their website that listed the actual games the pieces of relics came from.

(Don't quote me it could have been a investigative fan site that had that)

I'm not a jersey card guy at all but I sure as shit will take a relic from players from the 20's and 30's. I cannot stress that type of stuff no matter how tiny it is belongs in a museum.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I think they even had a little sub on their website that listed the actual games the pieces of relics came from.

I'm not a jersey card guy at all but I sure as shit will take a relic from players from the 20's and 30's. I cannot stress that type of stuff no matter how tiny it is belongs in a museum.
I was actually surprised that UD had no interest at all in guys like Hap Day, King Clancy etc. I wasn’t even looking to sell them, just thought it deserved its reverence like being on someone’s cherished card versus in my box upon box of memorabilia. Was literally offering to give it to UD but no interest. Not THAT surprised in that I don’t have much respect for UD to begin with. The other individual was interested (also doesn’t surprise me…..you can tell who has actual reverence for the game). Heck I even have the HHOF interested in some of my stuff…..not UD though. Lol

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Oh and funnily enough, my favourite most recent find was in some recent repackaged Walmart packs. They were like maybe $10 and I bought 3. Pulled 2 cards from a set I had never heard of which upon research were made by the same ITG guy but the set was never released . A Woody Dumart and Sid Abel autographed pre parkie! Gold to me versus any modern card.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Those were before my time. I’m 34 so I may have been young when that came out. I just like how they used true game used stuff over the event worn junk Panini and Upper Deck we’re pushing in recent years.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
After two days of getting dogwalked on social media, Beckett announced that their grading scale changes are going to be reconsidered with another announcement next week.

What a circus that company is- but the negativity was loud enough for it to be impossible to ignore.

1680380041948.png

Reactions: Hippasus

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Ehh I like to collect players on my favorite teams or players I have “draft crushes” on. So picking up a card of any of those players just doesn’t do it for me personally. I was too young or not even alive when some of those players were playing, if I was alive or have memories of watching those players play then yeah I could justify picking up some of those cards. I can justify paying 3k for a Kap FWPA because he’s one of my favorite players, playing on one of my favorite teams. Obviously I’m speaking for myself here and every collector is different.

TLDR: I like to collect players I’ve watched play or are on teams I like and don’t care if I see a return on investment on cards.
Very good points, I guess I'm just speaking on behalf of people who are looking to invest. I'm a lot older than you so my heroes were Lafleur and Dryden. But TBH, buy a regular PSA 10 Kaprizov for a couple hundred bucks and take the rest of the $3000 and invest in Vintage, you'll thank me in 10-20 years.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I havent done much digging but is there another thread where its a general "card" thread? Not just hockey.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I know PSA is top dog in grading but if you wanted to go with an alternative would you choose BGS or SGC for vintage hockey and for junk wax era?

I have both some vintage and some junk wax that I'm thinking about grading and I don't want the long wait times associated with PSA. I know junk wax is not worth much but I still have a ton of the big rookies from that era and will only send in the ones that have a chance of getting 10s.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I know PSA is top dog in grading but if you wanted to go with an alternative would you choose BGS or SGC for vintage hockey and for junk wax era.

I have both some vintage and some junk wax that I'm thinking about grading and I don't want the long wait times associated with PSA. I know junk wax is not worth much but I still have a ton of the big rookies from that era and will only send in the ones that have a chance of getting 10s.
Nope. PSA is king.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yeah, but what's the next best option?
Are you looking to resell or just strictly slabbing for your collection?

BGS is a sinking ship. I can't think of a reason to submit with BGS right now outside of the fact that their slab is aesthetically pleasing. BGS is still expensive. You're going to wait just as long as if you subbed to PSA. Historically (pre-2018), nobody graded "vintage" or older cards with BGS - they went to PSA and "modern" cards went to BGS. Now people care less about BGS because they've tarnished their reputation over the past 3 or 4 years.

I did a lot of grading with SGC during the pandemic because their turnaround time was quick (2 to 4 weeks door to door). I don't hate SGC but the market is soft on anything that isn't graded a 10. They are grading in like 5 days now. If you don't mind leaving some money on the table, grade with them. If you're grading cards because you want cards in your collection to be slabbed and you don't have patience to wait for PSA, grade with them.

PSA is now relatively cheap. I got my last submission back in like 45 or 50 days.. so I can stomach those wait times by staggering orders. PSA slabs fetch top dollar on the secondary market so I know when I get my submission back in hand, I'm not leaving money on the table like I'd be doing with SGC.

CSG is available through comc so I've sent a few cards from ePack to them to get graded just because of the convenience. So far, secondary market sales are comparable to SGC. CSG takes between 2-4 times longer to grade cards compared to SGC. I'll continue monitoring the CSG market but I don't like leaving money on the table.

tldr; PSA is king (right now).

Last edited:

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Are you looking to resell or just strictly slabbing for your collection?

BGS is a sinking ship. I can't think of a reason to submit with BGS right now outside of the fact that their slab is aesthetically pleasing. BGS is still expensive. You're going to wait just as long as if you subbed to PSA. Historically (pre-2018), nobody graded "vintage" or older cards with BGS - they went to PSA and "modern" cards went to BGS. Now people care less about BGS because they've tarnished their reputation over the past 3 or 4 years.

I did a lot of grading with SGC during the pandemic because their turnaround time was quick (2 to 4 weeks door to door). I don't hate SGC but the market is soft on anything that isn't graded a 10. They are grading in like 5 days now. If you don't mind leaving some money on the table, grade with them. If you're grading cards because you want cards in your collection to be slabbed and you don't have patience to wait for PSA, grade with them.

PSA is now relatively cheap. I got my last submission back in like 45 or 50 days.. so I can stomach those wait times by staggering orders. PSA slabs fetch top dollar on the secondary market so I know when I get my submission back in hand, I'm not leaving money on the table like I'd be doing with SGC.

CSG is available through comc so I've sent a few cards from ePack to them to get graded just because of the convenience. So far, secondary market sales are comparable to SGC. CSG takes between 2-4 times longer to grade cards compared to SGC. I'll continue monitoring the CSG market but I don't like leaving money on the table.

tldr; PSA is king (right now).

I'm actually looking at reselling but if PSA is having 50 day turnaround times will reconsider using them.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm actually looking at reselling but if PSA is having 50 day turnaround times will reconsider using them.
Value bulk is $19 usd right now- their turnaround on the website says 65 days. My last few orders have arrived quicker than that. When it was 3-6 months......... or 1 year+ I can understand using an alternative (I started to use SGC)- but at ~50 days it's a no brainer.

It's nice that things are starting to get back to normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad