Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hello everyone! Ive been collecting football cards for awhile but only recently have been getting into collecting hockey cards as well. And i was curious what are the sought after rookie cards? I know Young Guns is one but what are others? Im assuming The Cup RPAs and also Future Watch Patch Autos as well, but any others? Any "case hits" out there that are really sought after as well? I recently came across the "16 bit" card the product im blanking on that looks really really cool. Thanks in advance for the help and or suggestions.

The most sought after rookies are probably the main rookies in the long standing products. Beyond what you've already mentioned, maybe:

Some of the OPC Platinum rookie parallels are gaining traction.
The Precious Metal Gems are getting popular.

Reactions: Sad People

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Since the jersey cards weren't a thing in the late 80s/early 90s when I was heavily collecting, I was just curious if anyone knows what process they go through to obtaining such jerseys and then getting a patch for the card. Do they get certain jerseys from the player/team, and are they authenticated and show from when the jersey patch was worn?

Especially seeing the above post with the Fuhr jerseys, who has been retired for years.

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows and is able to answer.
For hockey cards, my understanding is Upper Deck often buys their game-worn jerseys directly from teams or they go through reputable companies like MeiGray or Classic Auctions. Players now go through a lot more jerseys than they used to, so current ones are much easier to acquire. Some players now wear a new jersey almost every game. Many retired players may have only worn a handful per season, and those are much tougher to acquire.

Once a card company has a jersey, they can make it last a few years. If it’s a jersey of a star player from the 90s or older, they will make the jersey last for many years by limiting how often it is used and the size of the pieces used for hockey cards. The main set where Upper Deck would prioritize those older jerseys is for their highest-end product called The Cup, which is the set where those Fuhr patches were used in the picture I posted.

Another thing that has been happening for about 20 years, is the language of the backs of hockey cards has changed. They used to commonly say the memorabilia on the front was “game-worn”, but now most cards say something like the memorabilia was “player worn” or “event used”. This means the memorabilia wasn’t necessarily game-worn. This is very common with rookies, which Upper Deck has a heavy presence at the NHL Draft and Rookie Showcase. Upper Deck could hand a player a jersey to wear while they sign autographs for the company, and now Upper Deck now has a player-worn jersey for hockey cards immediately. My understanding is they do similar things at the All-Star Game and Winter Classic, and another other events with current and retired players as well. This increases availability of jerseys to use and reduces cost since they aren’t game-worn.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yeah I said that from the get go. How can anyone trust such an outfit? How can THEY be allowed to dictate the market? Good concept but seriously flawed.
Agreed. I've never used them to grade anything and don't really plan on it. I was going to send them some autographed items to authenticate, but I'm not so sure now.

I use Beckett and MNT

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
For current players they get game jerseys direct from all the teams as part of their licensing deal. I’ve been told it’s usually 15 from each team every year. They give the team a wish list of five players and get three jerseys per player. In some cases the player wears a jersey per game for three games, in other cases they wear one jersey per period for one game and all three go to UD.

For retired guys they have to buy on the secondary market from auctions or from private collectors. The price of sports memorabilia is climbing so you don’t see as much retired or legend jerseys in products these days.

For hockey cards, my understanding is Upper Deck often buys their game-worn jerseys directly from teams or they go through reputable companies like MeiGray or Classic Auctions. Players now go through a lot more jerseys than they used to, so current ones are much easier to acquire. Some players now wear a new jersey almost every game. Many retired players may have only worn a handful per season, and those are much tougher to acquire.

Once a card company has a jersey, they can make it last a few years. If it’s a jersey of a star player from the 90s or older, they will make the jersey last for many years by limiting how often it is used and the size of the pieces used for hockey cards. The main set where Upper Deck would prioritize those older jerseys is for their highest-end product called The Cup, which is the set where those Fuhr patches were used in the picture I posted.

Another thing that has been happening for about 20 years, is the language of the backs of hockey cards has changed. They used to commonly say the memorabilia on the front was “game-worn”, but now most cards say something like the memorabilia was “player worn” or “event used”. This means the memorabilia wasn’t necessarily game-worn. This is very common with rookies, which Upper Deck has a heavy presence at the NHL Draft and Rookie Showcase. Upper Deck could hand a player a jersey to wear while they sign autographs for the company, and now Upper Deck now has a player-worn jersey for hockey cards immediately. My understanding is they do similar things at the All-Star Game and Winter Classic, and another other events with current and retired players as well. This increases availability of jerseys to use and reduces cost since they aren’t game-worn.
Thank you for the responses!

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
The most sought after rookies are probably the main rookies in the long standing products. Beyond what you've already mentioned, maybe:

Some of the OPC Platinum rookie parallels are gaining traction.
The Precious Metal Gems are getting popular.
Sweet thanks for the help.

Yeah PMGs are beautiful looking cards too.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Those are beauties, congrats. Love the top right
Thanks! I have some other stuff from The Cup as well like a Kurri Emblems of Endorsement and some Signature Patches. I collected a lot of cards focusing on the 80s Oilers and have a lot of stuff of those players (except Gretzky due to cost).

Do you have any Limited Logos?

I love the top left. The hair and look on Fuhr's face is priceless
Haha, yeah there have been some great photos of Fuhr used for hockey cards over the years. I love it! It’s always great to see the players without the helmet/mask, and for goalies, it’s cool seeing cards with the various masks too… and Fuhr had a bunch.

Reactions: joestevens29

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1680265225058.png

Beckett is going to announce changes to their grading scale today. Major joke of a company lmao

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
View attachment 679166

Beckett is going to announce changes to their grading scale today. Major joke of a company lmao
It levels the playing field with PSA. PSA considers all high 9.5 cards a ten. Makes sense that Beckett would do the same. Beckett is losing market share due to PSAs, less than truthful, system. At least with Beckett you can still see if the card is an actual ten.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Any of you think a jersey # FWPA ungraded card is worth 5x the price of a PSA 10 FWPA that obviously isnt the jersey #?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You think PSA is any better? They give 10s for cards that are obviously off-center and have rough edges and then give 7s and 8s to cards that should be gem mint 10s.
You can find overgraded cards from all companies - it's not an exclusive issue with PSA. I think that all grading companies should be transparent and let collectors know why their cards got the grade they did, but I don't think that's coming any time soon from the big players.
It levels the playing field with PSA. PSA considers all high 9.5 cards a ten. Makes sense that Beckett would do the same. Beckett is losing market share due to PSAs, less than truthful, system. At least with Beckett you can still see if the card is an actual ten.
Does it though? I think it overcomplicates things with old labels vs. new labels. Beckett should've looked to improve customer service, fix their website, overhaul their grading process communications before they made this move.

Copying PSA's homework but including subgrades might work for a bit- but they're still grading slower and at a more expensive price per unit.

Honestly- the best suggestion I saw would've included BGS adopting how their 4x9.5's are already being marketed - just put True Gem on the 9.5 Label. Now they've created a minor rats nest.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Hello everyone! Ive been collecting football cards for awhile but only recently have been getting into collecting hockey cards as well. And i was curious what are the sought after rookie cards? I know Young Guns is one but what are others? Im assuming The Cup RPAs and also Future Watch Patch Autos as well, but any others? Any "case hits" out there that are really sought after as well? I recently came across the "16 bit" card the product im blanking on that looks really really cool. Thanks in advance for the help and or suggestions.
Seriously, go for true Vintage Rookies, although they dipped recently (everything went crazy during Covid), they tend to continually go up in value. Go get a nice Lafleur, Dryden, Messier, Yzerman, and if you're really serious Orr, Howe, Maurice Richard, Gretzky. I am still puzzled on why people spend so much on a Kaprizov rookie, what will his legacy be in 30 years...

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You can find overgraded cards from all companies - it's not an exclusive issue with PSA. I think that all grading companies should be transparent and let collectors know why their cards got the grade they did, but I don't think that's coming any time soon from the big players.

Does it though? I think it overcomplicates things with old labels vs. new labels. Beckett should've looked to improve customer service, fix their website, overhaul their grading process communications before they made this move.

Copying PSA's homework but including subgrades might work for a bit- but they're still grading slower and at a more expensive price per unit.

Honestly- the best suggestion I saw would've included BGS adopting how their 4x9.5's are already being marketed - just put True Gem on the 9.5 Label. Now they've created a minor rats nest.

PSA has been playing on a non-level playing field since they decided to eliminate their 9.5 grades. There's too many uninformed collectors who think that a PSA 10 is superior to a BGS 9.5, either because they are new or because they have some random bias.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
PSA has been playing on a non-level playing field since they decided to eliminate their 9.5 grades. There's too many uninformed collectors who think that a PSA 10 is superior to a BGS 9.5, either because they are new or because they have some random bias.
??? PSA has never had a 9.5 grade to begin with. I'll play nice with the uninformed collectors comment- but if you're not aware of their historic grading scales, are you offering an opinion worth considering?

Reactions: sansabri

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Seriously, go for true Vintage Rookies, although they dipped recently (everything went crazy during Covid), they tend to continually go up in value. Go get a nice Lafleur, Dryden, Messier, Yzerman, and if you're really serious Orr, Howe, Maurice Richard, Gretzky. I am still puzzled on why people spend so much on a Kaprizov rookie, what will his legacy be in 30 years...
Ehh I like to collect players on my favorite teams or players I have “draft crushes” on. So picking up a card of any of those players just doesn’t do it for me personally. I was too young or not even alive when some of those players were playing, if I was alive or have memories of watching those players play then yeah I could justify picking up some of those cards. I can justify paying 3k for a Kap FWPA because he’s one of my favorite players, playing on one of my favorite teams. Obviously I’m speaking for myself here and every collector is different.

TLDR: I like to collect players I’ve watched play or are on teams I like and don’t care if I see a return on investment on cards.

Reactions: yada

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
So, you're saying if I have a 9.5 and it's 3 9.5s and a 10, send it back in?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
??? PSA has never had a 9.5 grade to begin with. I'll play nice with the uninformed collectors comment- but if you're not aware of their historic grading scales, are you offering an opinion worth considering?

Exactly. They made the decision to eliminate their 9.5 from the get go. Now the cost of a PSA 10 has skyrocketed compared to a BGS 9.5, despite them being the exact same grade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad