Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
To be fair, I had a "sports card dealer" on Facebook arguing with me that my Gretzky rookie is fake despite the fact I was there when it was opened in 1980 and it has never left my family's hands (in fact never left my family's house until moved in 2020). I find lots of people online that opine about 1980's OPC that you can clearly tell were not around in the collecting game back then.
Well, I don't believe any key rookie is legit without a psa label unless, like you said, you seen the card pulled first hand.

There's over 1k 9 lemieuxs. It's not like it's not uncommon within the graded card community. If somebody isn't showing a grade label, there's a reason for it.

My opinion- the cards a fake in a holder other then PSA.

Last edited:

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Cool card, but good god, it looks like he draws his signature in crayon. Whatever, I can’t talk, mine would get called fake because it isn’t the same thing two times in a row.
I don’t mind Petey’s auto. You can at least make out “Elias P 40”. Most other young players have little to no penmanship anymore. There are some really horrific sigs nowadays. Tim Stutzle signed nice autos on his earlier rookie cards but his most recent Cup autographs are quick “TS” squiggle. Lucas Raymond had some laughably bad ones early on too. His actually got a little better since, UD must have talked to him about it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well, I don't believe any key rookie is legit without a psa label unless, like you said, you seen the card pulled first hand.

There's over 1k 9 lemieuxs. It's not like it's not uncommon within the graded card community. If somebody isn't showing a grade label, there's a reason for it.

My opinion- the cards a fake in a holder other then PSA.
My problem with that is that PSA themselves are known scammers and might look at a card like mine with beautiful non-rough edges and be suspicious of it, even though I know better.

Reactions: Cubs2024wildcard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Cool card, but good god, it looks like he draws his signature in crayon. Whatever, I can’t talk, mine would get called fake because it isn’t the same thing two times in a row.
I'm going to have to go look at my nieces and nephews coloring. Might be some signatures hidden in there that I didn't realize :laugh:

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
My problem with that is that PSA themselves are known scammers and might look at a card like mine with beautiful non-rough edges and be suspicious of it, even though I know better.
That's the problem.

I wouldn't trust some guy molesting a key rookie like a Gretzky which is somewhat vintage (for hockey) unless it was an onsite grading thing where I can actually see what's going on to an extent because you and I both know those guys would love to get their hands on it.

Not even mentioning the blowback if the card graded a 10 and the social media implications.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
S2 out in a week. Do I crack my full case or try and move out some boxes? YG set is decent but overall underwhelming as usual.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
S2 out in a week. Do I crack my full case or try and move out some boxes? YG set is decent but overall underwhelming as usual.
They’re stretching the YG crop too thin trying to fill out S1, S2, and now an Extended set every year. That’s like 150 Young Guns a year give or take.

So not only do they still have to populate an Extended checklist for this season, they ALSO have to save holdover rookies for next year’s S1 because Bedard and all the new guys are being held over for S2 (already confirmed by a UD employee on other forums). I don’t know where they’re going to find enough interesting rookies to hold the market over until 2023-24 S2.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They’re stretching the YG crop too thin trying to fill out S1, S2, and now an Extended set every year. That’s like 150 Young Guns a year give or take.

So not only do they still have to populate an Extended checklist for this season, they ALSO have to save holdover rookies for next year’s S1 because Bedard and all the new guys are being held over for S2 (already confirmed by a UD employee on other forums). I don’t know where they’re going to find enough interesting rookies to hold the market over until 2023-24 S2.
The Isles had 4 guys premier (Bolduc, Wotherspoon, Holmstrom and Raty). So far this year, Hutton will be the first guy they have with a YG and his first game was last season when they opened UBS. Wild how they’re delaying players this much.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015

Srp supposedly at 8.99 for 23/24.

They killed series one with no Bedard and since upper deck is going to upper deck it wouldn't shock me the slightest if they ssp Bedard in S2. Hell, I can see them waiting until extended and making it super premium so the pack cost is extremely high. They're not giving a golden goose away like they did with McDavid.

Maybe canvas?

Last edited:

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
The Isles had 4 guys premier (Bolduc, Wotherspoon, Holmstrom and Raty). So far this year, Hutton will be the first guy they have with a YG and his first game was last season when they opened UBS. Wild how they’re delaying players this much.
There's "rumors" that the delays are pissing off players and that there's a huge issue with photo quality and that they don't like the photos UD is choosing.

I guess one photo was used in S1 that was a three year old photo and it grinded some players gears.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
And for the record;

The breakers (and yes, there were breakers in 2015) knew the YG rotation two hours after it became live in 2015. It was a guy on the sabres, Wild, then McDavid. Here's hoping UD actually tries hard with Bedard and makes an actual effort in randomizing coalition with Bedard.

In 2007 if the first YG you pulled was Price, the last one you would pull was Kane. If there were open boxes in retail the packs with a security tag has YGs.

But it doesn't matter. The big hits will be pulled on whatnot by a huge breaker like backyard.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
And for the record;

The breakers (and yes, there were breakers in 2015) knew the YG rotation two hours after it became live in 2015. It was a guy on the sabres, Wild, then McDavid. Here's hoping UD actually tries hard with Bedard and makes an actual effort in randomizing coalition with Bedard.

In 2007 if the first YG you pulled was Price, the last one you would pull was Kane. If there were open boxes in retail the packs with a security tag has YGs.

But it doesn't matter. The big hits will be pulled on whatnot by a huge breaker like backyard.
McDavid always came with a Kenins YG. Even blasters had both guys in them. It was downright obvious.

I already gave my LCS owner the word that I’m interested in a case of s1. Then again I do a case of s1/2/extended every year. This goes back to like 13/14. Usually one set for the PC then I move out the leftovers. Either to COMC or via trades on FB. I don’t like the new trend of these young kids crying for condition on everything and only after the hot name this second. It ruins the hobby.

Reactions: Cubs2024wildcard

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Here are the ones I have in hard cases.
4yg7LOa.jpg

Not sure why I hard cased the Lemieux one, probably because he was my favorite player.
Some.nice cards. The mario rookie leader has some decent value

Reactions: Larry Hanson

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
McDavid always came with a Kenins YG. Even blasters had both guys in them. It was downright obvious.

I already gave my LCS owner the word that I’m interested in a case of s1. Then again I do a case of s1/2/extended every year. This goes back to like 13/14. Usually one set for the PC then I move out the leftovers. Either to COMC or via trades on FB. I don’t like the new trend of these young kids crying for condition on everything and only after the hot name this second. It ruins the hobby.
I think the abundance of breakers ruined the hobby.

I remember when it was only cardsinfinity and AR Platinum doing regular breaks. Then that weird Beckett guy started breaking retail blasters, pumping up his garbage hits then the wheels started turning.

Now you have clowns like backyard pulling all the huge hits with panini feeding them. It's a joke.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I think the abundance of breakers ruined the hobby.

I remember when it was only cardsinfinity and AR Platinum doing regular breaks. Then that weird Beckett guy started breaking retail blasters, pumping up his garbage hits then the wheels started turning.

Now you have clowns like backyard pulling all the huge hits with panini feeding them. It's a joke.
Retail only breakers are shadier than the 2020 NHL draft lottery. I’m not buying into a break with some kid pulling heat from a blaster of MVP. I broke with CNC for a long time until Canada got too expensive to ship from (I’m in NY). I stick with US based breakers now out of ease.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Retail only breakers are shadier than the 2020 NHL draft lottery. I’m not buying into a break with some kid pulling heat from a blaster of MVP. I broke with CNC for a long time until Canada got too expensive to ship from (I’m in NY). I stick with US based breakers now out of ease.
I only bought into one break ever. 08/09 Exquisite and the guy pulled DRose and didn't want to ship it.

Turns out I should have let him keep it......

• Haha
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I only bought into one break ever. 08/09 Exquisite and the guy pulled DRose and didn't want to ship it.

Turns out I should have let him keep it......
I do a lot of breaks. Mainly because I don’t want to spend $150+ on a box of most of the products out today just to get a $4 card of some irrelevant rookie/3rd liner. Rather just spend $30 on my team and hopefully snag something I can put into the collection.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Since the jersey cards weren't a thing in the late 80s/early 90s when I was heavily collecting, I was just curious if anyone knows what process they go through to obtaining such jerseys and then getting a patch for the card. Do they get certain jerseys from the player/team, and are they authenticated and show from when the jersey patch was worn?

Especially seeing the above post with the Fuhr jerseys, who has been retired for years.

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows and is able to answer.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Hello everyone! Ive been collecting football cards for awhile but only recently have been getting into collecting hockey cards as well. And i was curious what are the sought after rookie cards? I know Young Guns is one but what are others? Im assuming The Cup RPAs and also Future Watch Patch Autos as well, but any others? Any "case hits" out there that are really sought after as well? I recently came across the "16 bit" card the product im blanking on that looks really really cool. Thanks in advance for the help and or suggestions.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Since the jersey cards weren't a thing in the late 80s/early 90s when I was heavily collecting, I was just curious if anyone knows what process they go through to obtaining such jerseys and then getting a patch for the card. Do they get certain jerseys from the player/team, and are they authenticated and show from when the jersey patch was worn?

Especially seeing the above post with the Fuhr jerseys, who has been retired for years.

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows and is able to answer.
For current players they get game jerseys direct from all the teams as part of their licensing deal. I’ve been told it’s usually 15 from each team every year. They give the team a wish list of five players and get three jerseys per player. In some cases the player wears a jersey per game for three games, in other cases they wear one jersey per period for one game and all three go to UD.

For retired guys they have to buy on the secondary market from auctions or from private collectors. The price of sports memorabilia is climbing so you don’t see as much retired or legend jerseys in products these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad