Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Perfect. I have a McDavid YG that has 3 9.5 and 1 10.

Would you happen to know if I have to crack it myself, or do they do that ? I've never sent anything in for a re-grade before.
Send it the way it is and don't crack it.

BGS will do all that for you.

If you had a PSA, you crack it

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Perfect. I have a McDavid YG that has 3 9.5 and 1 10.

Would you happen to know if I have to crack it myself, or do they do that ? I've never sent anything in for a re-grade before.

For a re-label, they will crack it themselves and give you a new label, as long as the original slab is not damaged. I had a Hedman YG with 4 tens relabeled to a black label, prior to selling it. It cost me about $50 CAD, but a large portion of that was shipping. The cost of Relabeling right now is $10 USD.

I wouldn't crack it yourself, as they will have to actually re-grade it and you never know what will happen. Plus grading is more expensive than relabeling.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
For a re-label, they will crack it themselves and give you a new label, as long as the original slab is not damaged. I had a Hedman YG with 4 tens relabeled to a black label, prior to selling it. It cost me about $50 CAD, but a large portion of that was shipping. The cost of Relabeling right now is $10 USD.

I wouldn't crack it yourself, as they will have to actually re-grade it and you never know what will happen. Plus grading is more expensive than relabeling.
Send it the way it is and don't crack it.

BGS will do all that for you.

If you had a PSA, you crack it
Alright perfect, thanks.

I didn't want to crack it as I know my luck and I'll f***ing damage the card to a 2

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Thats what i was thinking as well. I get the draw of a jersey # but not at 5x the price.
I don't even get the appeal of a jersey number. I mean it's cooler that it matches but overall i'd rather have 35/100 if the patch is cooler over 30/100 if 30 is the jersey number. Much more appeal in the end as a collector. Chasing jersey number screams ebay and that just screams flipper to me.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
I don't even get the appeal of a jersey number. I mean it's cooler that it matches but overall i'd rather have 35/100 if the patch is cooler over 30/100 if 30 is the jersey number. Much more appeal in the end as a collector. Chasing jersey number screams ebay and that just screams flipper to me.
Wat, you don't believe in the 100x the actual value of the prestigious ebay one of one jersey numbered cars?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
jum9zr9dxz051.jpg

A Roy card numbered 33/1,000 is definitely worth waaaay more than 32, or 34/1,000

It's 1/1, but 32 and 34 are just 32 and 34/1,000 !

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Wat, you don't believe in the 100x the actual value of the prestigious ebay one of one jersey numbered cars?
Not unless the guy uses the terms fire and heat to describe his big rips from those Walmart mega boxes.

jum9zr9dxz051.jpg

A Roy card numbered 33/1,000 is definitely worth waaaay more than 32, or 34/1,000

It's 1/1, but 32 and 34 are just 32 and 34/1,000 !
Derek Roy wore 9 during a large chunk of his tenure in the NHL. I’m not sure anything would help increase values of his cards.

• Haha
Reactions: Bixby Snyder

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not unless the guy uses the terms fire and heat to describe his big rips from those Walmart mega boxes.

Derek Roy wore 9 during a large chunk of his tenure in the NHL. I’m not sure anything would help increase values of his cards.
Yeah, pretty much, but someone might try.

I've seen people put 1/1 because the card was graded a 7 and no other card was graded that low

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah, pretty much, but someone might try.

I've seen people put 1/1 because the card was graded a 7 and no other card was graded that low
This is why I hate where the hobby has gone. All that matters to people is grades vs collecting themselves. I don’t even bother moving my non PC hits anymore because of these kids. Cry about condition but in the end they know it’s the fault of Upper Deck that it’s not a 10.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
This is why I hate where the hobby has gone. All that matters to people is grades vs collecting themselves. I don’t even bother moving my non PC hits anymore because of these kids. Cry about condition but in the end they know it’s the fault of Upper Deck that it’s not a 10.
Yeah but you didn't think this is where the hobby was headed?

The pandemic ruined what this hobby was and the sad truth is it's never going to be the way it was ever again. It's been reinvented into gambling.

I don't blame fanatics going for the money grab right now. Why should they drop prices when there's morons out there paying those prices?

Now that cards are all over social media, clout chasing the next huge hit means this shit ain't going away any time soon. If you pull a babe ruth autograph your followers jump by 100k in a couple days.

I watched a grown ass man literally wet his gamer chair over a Kaprizov YG. That's what, less then a hundo raw? I had three marked at 50 each and nobody bit yet some slob on the internet is going to act like a fool over one?

This shits here to stay. I'll stick to what I do and do very well over the pandemic collectors who came in with their "Gem Rates", "comps say",and "Young Guns are great investments" drivel.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

The pandemic ruined what this hobby was and the sad truth is it's never going to be the way it was ever again. It's been reinvented into gambling.

I don't blame fanatics going for the money grab right now. Why should they drop prices when there's morons out there paying those prices?

Now that cards are all over social media, clout chasing the next huge hit means this shit ain't going away any time soon. If you pull a babe ruth autograph your followers jump by 100k in a couple days.

I watched a grown ass man literally wet his gamer chair over a Kaprizov YG. That's what, less then a hundo raw? I had three marked at 50 each and nobody bit yet some slob on the internet is going to act like a fool over one?

This shits here to stay. I'll stick to what I do and do very well over the pandemic collectors who came in with their "Gem Rates", "comps say",and "Young Guns are great investments" drivel.
The pandemic did ruin it and basically pushed us into junk wax 2.0. I didn’t expect it to get like this at all. I’d love to see it bottom out and the clowns go back to pushing basketball sneakers like they’re the greatest invention for feet.

Just watch what happens with s1 prices in 23-24. I’m expecting boxes to go up another $20 at release because of the Bedard hype and it’s a strong possibility he won’t even be in s1.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Before the pandemic i could get a hobby box of Optic football for under 100$ its definitely not like that anymore.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Before the pandemic i could get a hobby box of Optic football for under 100$ its definitely not like that anymore.
Before the pandemic you could get a guaranteed auto in a blaster for 20 bucks.

Pandemic collectors don't know just how much damage they did to the hobby and sure as shit don't want to hear they're the reason why it's become the way it has.

Those of us who have been around knew we had it good and didn't say a word. Bowman jumbo boxes with five autos for 300 bucks? Those are now three autos for 500 because Topps can get away with it because the pandemic guys will buy case lots of the shit.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Pandemic collectors don't know just how much damage they did to the hobby and sure as shit don't want to hear they're the reason why it's become the way it has.

Those of us who have been around knew we had it good and didn't say a word. Bowman jumbo boxes with five autos for 300 bucks? Those are now three autos for 500 because Topps can get away with it because the pandemic guys will buy case lots of the shit.
I miss when Panini hockey products were dirt cheap and no one wanted them. They couldn’t give away 12-13 and 13-14 stuff for the most part

Reactions: Canadian Game

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021

Atleast in the football world (not too sure about hockey as I’m just getting into collecting hockey cards) it’s corrected itself a bit. But not to anywhere near where it once was or will ever be for that matter.

Reactions: Cubs2024wildcard

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Atleast in the football world (not too sure about hockey as I’m just getting into collecting hockey cards) it’s corrected itself a bit. But not to anywhere near where it once was or will ever be for that matter.
If you’re in the US and are looking for US based hockey breakers, I can give you a few extremely reliable ones. Blue Line Breaks and Five Hole Hockey Memorabilia are both ran by quality guys who collect oddball teams (Florida and Nashville).

Reactions: Sad People

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
I miss when Panini hockey products were dirt cheap and no one wanted them. They couldn’t give away 12-13 and 13-14 stuff for the most part
Tell me about it.

Meijer sold hobby boxes of those years at 39.99 in their clearance just like they sold that UD team USA stuff with the Bryce Harper jersey auto card that I actually pulled then sold for a good amount.

The problem is these pandemic guys want to be gate keepers and influencers without understanding nobody who's been in this hobby cares about them or their opinions.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The most sought after rookies are probably the main rookies in the long standing products. Beyond what you've already mentioned, maybe:

Some of the OPC Platinum rookie parallels are gaining traction.
The Precious Metal Gems are getting popular.
To me , the best cards are “true rookies” none of all this parallel shit.
IMO - The Cup RPA , YG High gloss / BGS 10 YG / YG exclusives , SP Authentic FWA /999 (with hard signed auto ).are the best to collect if you are into rookies . I used to be into UD Ice premiers /99 but the value vs. cost is terrible. Other than that , collect what YOU like.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
IMO - The Cup RPA , YG High gloss / BGS 10 YG / YG exclusives , SP Authentic FWA /999 (with hard signed auto ).are the best to collect if you are into rookies . I used to be into UD Ice premiers /99 but the value vs. cost is terrible. Other than that , collect what YOU like.
HG and exclusives are parallels.

Just saying

Reactions: Satan

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The values are crazy somerimes if you find the right buyer. For some guys , the exclusivity and rareness supersedes things like a nicer patch etc.
I,used to have some real cool maychjg jersey #’s rookies . For now , I just have two . Bratt UD the Cup RPA and Hughes YG exclusives . I don’t have a pic of the Hughes on this iPad. Ill add it later.
63BF7604-A590-4839-8E68-F77EE96E43F1.jpeg

HG and exclusives are parallels.

Just saying
True. I should have added that as an exception

Reactions: miscs75

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
If you’re in the US and are looking for US based hockey breakers, I can give you a few extremely reliable ones. Blue Line Breaks and Five Hole Hockey Memorabilia are both ran by quality guys who collect oddball teams (Florida and Nashville).
Thanks for the suggestions but I don’t buy Into breaks anymore. I watch them all the time but now I just buy hobby boxes and singles of the specific cards or players I want.

Last edited:

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017

Young Guns are pretty overrated IMO. I’ve got exactly one in my PC and it’s a Sidney Crosby. They printed WAY less back then than they do now. McDavid’s print run is many multiples higher than Sid’s.

People keep sleeping on the Ultimate Rookies Auto RC.

Reactions: Cubs2024wildcard

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Young Guns are pretty overrated IMO. I’ve got exactly one in my PC and it’s a Sidney Crosby. They printed WAY less back then than they do now. McDavid’s print run is many multiples higher than Sid’s.

It’s just that they grade very very hard for the most part. With how they were designed and made , it is hard to find BGS 9.5 / PSA 10 versions . The coloured edges are prone to chips and edges are usually not great . Just my experience with them.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015

Young guns are what they are- an affordable key rookie not unlike a Topps rookie in baseball.

They're way over priced due to perceived limited print run but considering UD is printing that shit for years after release they're not good investments in the long run.

Here's some truths about young guns and upper deck;

Upper Deck printed 89 high series up until 1991. That means Griffey Jr rookies were still being printed two years after it's original release.

Upper Deck got caught reprinting some pokemon like card game when some of the cards got red hot on the secondary market and lost the license until they promised that shit would never happen again.

If you really want to find out just how many Mcdavid ygs are out there, find out how many base cards were printed in 2015. If the rumor that 2.5 million of each base cards was printed, then your looking at half a million young gun. Now people comparing a young gun to a basketball silver prizm is laughable because even the mass produced Zion year the number of silvers tabulates to around 200/250k. (And anybody who doesn't think there's minimum 3 million of each prizm base cards in Zions rookie year I have a nice bridge to sell you)

I'm the first to admit Crosby's rookie year those numbers are a lot lower considering I opened a case a ways back. I'll even go as far as series two with ovechkin the amount is double that of Crosby. But every year After that? Nah. There's plenty to go around so everyone who wants one can get one.

Crosby young guns are a rock solid investment. Everyone else, not so much.

And here's another thing people need to understand about pack odds;

What are the odds of getting a Patrick Kane base card? Probably the same as a young gun.

If there's really only a certain amount of young guns, say 500k, then complete set prices should be going thru the roof. They're not.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad