Dreger: High interest on Arturi Lehkonen. Now in play for trade.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Exactly, he's a fine player, but thats it. Good NHL forward, but there are roles more difficult to fix than middle 6er wingers. If trading him helps with that... I'm a fan. Otherwise... keep him on as he's RFA lol.

With Tampa going all in on the threepeat, it seems like the marlet is gonna be extremely fierce amongst contenders to gain any edge they can over the competition. And there are quite a few solid teams this year: Tampa, Florida, Colorado, Carolina, Toronto, Vegas and even the Rangers. With the Pens also pushing for the last few years of their core... its a lot of serious buyers
agreed, but lehkonen has a rep for bringing it every game, clutch goal to send habs to the cup, relatively inexpensive and young. he has a great two-way game. if he had even a little bit better career shooting % he'd have very high value. he's one of the few forwards on habs having a great season IN SPITE of how had team had been with ducharme. I personally wouldn't move him either - certainly not for a 2nd, maybe a 1st, but more likely a very good prospect. The way teams are paying for players, this could happen. he's 26

Last edited:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Leky will not get a top 10. but a bottom ten first round yes + a project 2nd rounder with some size AND speed.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Again, Lehkonen is not worth the 1st. HF posters said the same thing about Chiarot despite the precedent with Savard. For Lehkonen, the precedent is Goodrow/Coleman. Hell, look at what Hagel got and you tell me Lehkonen is not worth a 1st. Habs will get 1st+ for Lehkonen if he is traded. Not a single doubt about it.
But Lehkonen isn't cost controlled like those guys were which was the biggest thing there. While not pure rental, he still needs a new deal next summer after the career year he's having.

Järnkrok is probably a better comparable.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Look at what guys like Hagel, Coleman, Goodrow brought back... Habs want the same for Lekhonen. And that is about the price I just asked for. A very low 1st and a B prospect
The difference is that Coleman and Goodrow both had an extra year of cost certainty at a very low caphit.

Goodrow $900k x 2
Coleman $1.8m x 2

Lehkonen is an RFA so that raises his value obviously, but his actual contract isn't as valuable as those two were.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Ranta is a 4th line forward who is high energy and physical, with strong potential for growth.

I'll choose honesty with Compher: he makes $3.5 million AAV for another year and is not worth it, but he fits on a 3rd line for a majority of NHL teams. He can be gritty, right-handed shot. Someone you can definitely pencil in on the roster and may do better next year during a contract year.

Ranta still has to prove that he can be a regular NHL'er. He has a lot of the tools but no toolbox. If he puts it together he could be a good 3rd liner in the mould of a Kreider (that's a stylistic comparison not a qualitative one), but I would stop short of calling him a 4th line forward as it's still just potential at this stage.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Compher has to go for cap reasons, even with the retention I think. Ranta can be replaced with a 2nd.

Colorado have $3m in deadline capspace. They can add Lehkonen even at full $2.35m caphit without needing to send anyone out. They could of course also play the LTIR game with Landeskog if they want to.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
That's $7M going to Colorado? Doubt you fit that.
Conveniently Landeskog is going LTIR for the next 4-5 weeks... or should I say 6 and a half weeks lol

Seriously though I don't think Sakic is going to use the LTIR loophole, even though he should.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
We'll take Compher if you give us a 2nd in '22 and another 2nd in '24?

Making trade Lehkonen 50% retained and Dvorak no retained for Barron, Compher, Avs first in '22, 2nd in '22 and 2 in '24.

Compher isn't a capdump. He's disliked by Avs fans because he's a bit overpaid, but he's not a negative value player, certainly not to the point of trading a 2nd. If you'd like to see his GSVA and WAR metrics I can share those with you.

I've been looking at Lehkonen's analytics again today and the thought of moving a 1st for him is growing on me. He's a fantastic player, and I'm sure the Avs front office feel the same.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
How do Montreal fans feel about a package like this:

Lehkonen + Dvorak for 2023 1st + Compher + pick/prospect*

*Please feel free to suggest the value of the pick or which prospect it should be.

The return for Montreal would primarily be about the futures. Compher is there to balance money a bit and give MTL a 3C to replace Dvorak in the short term.

Fwiw Colorado have been interested in both of those players before and they often circle back on players they like when they're available.
Take out Lehkonen or Dvorak and it's still not enticing.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Järnkrok is probably a better comparable.
It's possible he is, and most Habs fans under those circumstances are quite happy keeping Lehkonen around.

It's a cliché around here to say "I'm just as happy keeping him", but Lehkonen is the kind of guy fans and coaches love.

If it were up to me, I'd rather see Petry, Dvorak, Gallagher or Hoffman moved far, far more than Lehkonen. But Lehkonen is the guy who might get a massive return.

(I could've mentioned Kulak as well, but I expect he'll be gone for 3d rounder or so)

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Compher isn't a capdump. He's disliked by Avs fans because he's a bit overpaid, but he's not a negative value player, certainly not to the point of trading a 2nd. If you'd like to see his GSVA and WAR metrics I can share those with you.

I've been looking at Lehkonen's analytics again today and the thought of moving a 1st for him is growing on me. He's a fantastic player, and I'm sure the Avs front office feel the same.
Compher is a total capdump. He’s the last thing the Habs want. If he’s not a capdump then trade him to some other team at TDL. Habs can’t take him on. Too much dead weight as it is!!

Habs have no reason to trade Dvorak. Avs would have to make it worthwhile and adding JTC means you have to pay extra for taking on that capdump.

Lehkonen at 50% for Avs 1st + 2nd.

Don’t need low end prospects like Kaut/Bowers/Ranta. They have no value to the Habs. They are just fillers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldenhands

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think there have been a lot of players and prospects moved already before the deadline daySo maybe teams aren’t fighting as hard for lehkonen as we thought or that has been rumoured?

Maybe?
Hard to know. It seems to me quite a few contenders will most likely add to their roster. A lot of team should still have Lehkonen in their wishlist. TBD.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
agreed, but lehkonen has a rep for bringing it every game, clutch goal to send habs to the cup, relatively inexpensive and young. he has a great two-way game. if he had even a little bit better career shooting % he'd have very high value. he's one of the few forwards on habs having a great season IN SPITE of how had team had been with ducharme. I personally wouldn't move him either - certainly not for a 2nd, maybe a 1st, but more likely a very good prospect. The way teams are paying for players, this could happen. he's 26

Well, you obviously don't move him short of an overpayment. I would not move him for a pick. Move him for a prospect trending well who fills a position of need. I'm all for selling "expiring" assets, but he's clearly a guy who could gain value if, like you said, improves his SH%.

But then, seems like the market might be willing to overpay

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Take out Lehkonen or Dvorak and it's still not enticing.

Are you telling me that you think Montreal would say no to 1st + Compher + Barron for either Lehkonen or Dvorak? Pretty sure they would accept that in an instant.

For the record I'm not offering that, just making a point that you (like others in the thread before you) have clearly decided to ignore the "+ pick/prospect" part which I very clearly left open for discussion.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It's possible he is, and most Habs fans under those circumstances are quite happy keeping Lehkonen around.

It's a cliché around here to say "I'm just as happy keeping him", but Lehkonen is the kind of guy fans and coaches love.

If it were up to me, I'd rather see Petry, Dvorak, Gallagher or Hoffman moved far, far more than Lehkonen. But Lehkonen is the guy who might get a massive return.

(I could've mentioned Kulak as well, but I expect he'll be gone for 3d rounder or so)

Surely Petry will get a solid return as well? There's always a GM out there willing to pay up for RHS Dmen.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Surely Petry will get a solid return as well? There's always a GM out there willing to pay up for RHS Dmen.
Petry is getting up there in years and has a fairly hefty contract.

I have faith that he'll be worth the money, but it makes him harder to move, too. As well, with that cap hit, most contenders will need to return something that they likely need for the playoffs.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
He's that guy who always gets 1000 scoring chances every game but never seems to be able to bury it. He creates turnovers, intercepts passes, his stick and his body is almost always at the right place, but the guy can't score to save his life.

Yes he did send us to the finals, yes he's had some puck luck recently and that's why I'm all in for trading him for as much as we can.

Reactions: abo9

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The difference is that Coleman and Goodrow both had an extra year of cost certainty at a very low caphit.

Goodrow $900k x 2
Coleman $1.8m x 2

Lehkonen is an RFA so that raises his value obviously, but his actual contract isn't as valuable as those two were.

This is why he negotiates a contract beforehand? It's not like the Avs (or whoever) have to trade for him first. Habs will let the team getting him negotiate first.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He's that guy who always gets 1000 scoring chances every game but never seems to be able to bury it. He creates turnovers, intercepts passes, his stick and his body is almost always at the right place, but the guy can't score to save his life.

Yes he did send us to the finals, yes he's had some puck luck recently and that's why I'm all in for trading him for as much as we can.
So he can score to save his life if he indeed sent MTL to the finals…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad