Dreger: High interest on Arturi Lehkonen. Now in play for trade.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

He always had offensive flair, but not yet in the NHL. I personally don't want him traded. Losing Danault hurt us bad, and I think we will regret losing Arturri. He is so versatile and honestly, wouldn't surprise me to see him score 50 pts playing on another team that gives him better wingers and time.

Even then, no matter what, this kid is a playoff performer. You win with guys like him. That's why so many teams are after him.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Lehkonen is a very good player and plays exactly the kind of way you need to to win playoff games. The problem for Montreal is simply that they have a very deep prospect pool and are already grooming replacement players, so they may not want to sign his next contract. It's really that simple. The demand will be high and it should be. I won't be shocked if he stays and signs but I would say it's 80% he will move if they get a good offer.
He's such a good locker room presence that he'd require at least a first-round pick. I didn't know his values were that high.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
i'd like to see Lekhonen signed long terms with the Habs.
We need this kind of players to shut down big first lines.
Otherwise a first rd pick is a minimum.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
@Richard88

I think the message is that adding JTC will cost you extra as he will be viewed as a capdump by the Habs. If he is not a dump as you claim, then leave him out of your offer and trade him to someone else.

Habs won’t trade Dvorak at a loss after 35 games in an injury riddled season. It would cost a 1st + for Dvo or no dice.

Lehks will cost a 1st at a minimum. Reports are there are multiple teams interested. If any other team offer a 1st then that pick is more valuable than the Avs 1st by a margin based on standings alone. Ergo it would make sense to trade Lehks to another team in a separate deal and get the earlier 1st. This doesn’t even consider retaining on Lehks (50%) which would cost a bit more.

Packaging Lehkonen and Dvorak makes zero sense, particularly when the goal is to maximize the return. If they want to trade Dvorak then they would do so in the offseason but can’t see that happening.

I really don’t see Lehks going to the Avs unless they really pony up to overcome the value of the Avs late 1st. The likes of Ranta/Bowers/Kaut makes little difference. The have low ceilings at this point. Avs don’t have the capital they are willing to part with to make the Lehkonen + Dvorak deal.
Fair enough. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
i'd like to see Lekhonen signed long terms with the Habs.
We need this kind of players to shut down big first lines.
Otherwise a first rd pick is a minimum.

The problem is that he is in his prime right now and keeping him will get in the way of building the team. I could see them keep him if they move Armia, Drouin or Byron...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
With the high prices being paid, I'm expecting him to get moved, I think they will get an offer they can't refuse. I think he would be a very nice a addition to a team needing some pace in their middle 6, some secondary scoring and and some help on the PK.

Good spot for Montreal to be in.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The problem is that he is in his prime right now and keeping him will get in the way of building the team. I could see them keep him if they move Armia, Drouin or Byron...
You can still keep him around. Drouin and Byron are both up after next year. Armia obviously 3 more seasons after this.
Unless you have a few forward prospects ready to make the jump up.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Are you telling me that you think Montreal would say no to 1st + Compher + Barron for either Lehkonen or Dvorak? Pretty sure they would accept that in an instant.

For the record I'm not offering that, just making a point that you (like others in the thread before you) have clearly decided to ignore the "+ pick/prospect" part which I very clearly left open for discussion.

To he fair, you didn't specify what type of prospect usually the pick/prospect at the end of the deal is like a 3rd rounder/recent 3rd rounder.

If it was Barron I'd do it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Even just one of those guys, moving out would be great, and Lekky could stay.............but seriously selling high on this guy, is the way to go...........he is playing better than he has in the last few years, and has a very high shooting percentage, which is not going to continue....a 1st helps the team move on with youth and speed........
That said, if they don't get what they want, then he stays, which is a pleasant problem.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If he's such a locker room presence as you mentioned, it's imperative Montreal just keep him. I wonder why he keeps on being in the trade talks most of the time.

It's because apparently teams keep calling about him. Based on comment from Habs management they'd like to keep him but other teams really want him.

It's also why if he moves the Habs are getting a haul. They don't wa t to sell him other teams want to buy him

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Ba it's just a bunch Kool-Aid... he is on the market.. he will go to the highest bidder because he is good. That's it.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
If he was for sure to be traded, you would think that he would have been in the press box last night…

He is not UFA... so there is less pressure to trade him... but he is available. They have been showcasing him for weeks. Some team is going to pay up and we will all laugh at them ... then they will go deep...

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
He is not UFA... so there is less pressure to trade him... but he is available. They have been showcasing him for weeks. Some team is going to pay up and we will all laugh at them ... then they will go deep...
Showcasing? He's played similar minutes under MSL basically the entire time.

Reactions: Ezpz

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I think for some at least, the "what if" factor is scary when talking Lehkonen. He's doing a lot of things real'y good. If his scoring touch was a tad better, he'd be a solid 2nd liner for sure.

From what I remember, Lehkonen has a really good shot in terms of accuracy and velocity. However, its lacking deception and quickness at the NHL level. He needs to fake it out, he needs to release it more quickly.

Perhaps under MSL, who seems to emphasizes and appreciate offensive skills, Lehkonen could turn it around in that regard. He's learned from guys like Gallagher, Plekanec, etc. Who are/were really crappy at "sniping".

I'm lf the opinion that Lehkonen can be a decent piece to keep around, but no player is untouchable for the right pieces. I dont want a pick for him though (un'ess a top one), a good prospect would be great
I'd consider keeping him if we didn't have Byron and Armia still signed. I know he's better than them, but you can't spend around 4 millions per on so many bottom 6 guys

Reactions: abo9

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'd consider keeping him if we didn't have Byron and Armia still signed. I know he's better than them, but you can't spend around 4 millions per on so many bottom 6 guys
I disagree. You keep him even with Byron/Armia still there. He is a good guy to keep around for the rebuild and Byron only has one more on his contract.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

as the poster above, I respectfully disagree. Armia and Byron contracts were garbage, but I think it's a mistake to deal away a good player to make space for garbage.

And again, if a team is ready to overbid on Lehkonen, I am glad to trade him. I just would be pretty disapointed if he's traded for a contender's 1st + 2nd or something like that.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He's that guy who always gets 1000 scoring chances every game but never seems to be able to bury it. He creates turnovers, intercepts passes, his stick and his body is almost always at the right place, but the guy can't score to save his life.

Yes he did send us to the finals, yes he's had some puck luck recently and that's why I'm all in for trading him for as much as we can.
Is it puck luck or does it coincide with finally playing for a good coach? That is what GM's need to decide.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think his point totals would go up on another team but that's just me
This. Lehkonen on the Avs would be far more productive. He is built for puck possession style of play. MSL appears to be transitioning the Habs into this style so I hope Lehkonen remains a Hab. I think he becomes more offensive in that system while still driving possession and dominating defensively. It’s no secret that his production skyrocketed after MSL took the helm. He also makes waiver fodder like Pitlik look like a top 6 C. lol

It’s unbelievable how well he did under Duscharme when everyone else quit.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
as the poster above, I respectfully disagree. Armia and Byron contracts were garbage, but I think it's a mistake to deal away a good player to make space for garbage.

And again, if a team is ready to overbid on Lehkonen, I am glad to trade him. I just would be pretty disapointed if he's traded for a contender's 1st + 2nd or something like that.
Well I agree that if it's not an appealing offer we keep him, but I'm not in the "keep him at all cost" gang

Reactions: abo9 and malcb33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad