Dreger: High interest on Arturi Lehkonen. Now in play for trade.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
He has 6goals 3assists in his last 9 games, +3.

Pros : GREAT defensively, will block shots, amazing PK1 guy and always gives his 110% out there. Can't remember the last time I saw Arturi make a significant turnover. He's a very good middle 6winger that can also take a few shifts with talented players and make decent passes regularly. Good speed, a little bit on the small side but doesn't shy from physical plays at all. Love to drive the net and battle in front. Good to play a cycle kind of game offensively. Dangerous offensively on the PK when coaches want them to play aggressively on it. Win most of his 1v1 battle on the boards.

Cons : not the most silky mitts and shot accuracy isn't always perfect, still can land some good ones but don't be surprised if he misses a few chances here and there. His skill set doesn't really have any reason to be used on a PP unless you need a player to play the bumper pass on the red line next to the defending goalie.

Contract/infos : RFA, 26years old, cost controlled. Current cap 2.3M. 5'11, 180lbs. Great teammate and shows some second hand leadership towards rookies.

He ain't no Bottom 6 scrub that can be easily replaced as some suggest. MTL PK and 200foot game will take a major hit once/if he leaves.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Petry is getting up there in years and has a fairly hefty contract.

I have faith that he'll be worth the money, but it makes him harder to move, too. As well, with that cap hit, most contenders will need to return something that they likely need for the playoffs.
I would assume that Petry is an offseason move when it's easier to move money around the league.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I would assume that Petry is an offseason move when it's easier to move money around the league.
I like the idea of taking advantage of deadline craziness to get part of a summer rebuild underway.

UFAs like to know what they're signing up for, so knowing Petry is gone might make it seem to some that #1 PP unit QB is available to them, whereas if he's around, they might choose to sign elsewhere.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Compher isn't a capdump. He's disliked by Avs fans because he's a bit overpaid, but he's not a negative value player, certainly not to the point of trading a 2nd. If you'd like to see his GSVA and WAR metrics I can share those with you.

I've been looking at Lehkonen's analytics again today and the thought of moving a 1st for him is growing on me. He's a fantastic player, and I'm sure the Avs front office feel the same.
I don't know if we trade Lehkonen or not. If we get overpayment have to. If not, keep him and deal a year from now.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Pros : GREAT defensively, will block shots, amazing PK1 guy and always gives his 110% out there. Can't remember the last time I saw Arturi make a significant turnover. He's a very good middle 6winger that can also take a few shifts with talented players and make decent passes regularly. Good speed, a little bit on the small side but doesn't shy from physical plays at all. Love to drive the net and battle in front. Good to play a cycle kind of game offensively. Dangerous offensively on the PK when coaches want them to play aggressively on it. Win most of his 1v1 battle on the boards.

Cons : not the most silky mitts and shot accuracy isn't always perfect, still can land some good ones but don't be surprised if he misses a few chances here and there. His skill set doesn't really have any reason to be used on a PP unless you need a player to play the bumper pass on the red line next to the defending goalie.

Contract/infos : RFA, 26years old, cost controlled. Current cap 2.3M. 5'11, 180lbs. Great teammate and shows some second hand leadership towards rookies.

He ain't no Bottom 6 scrub that can be easily replaced as some suggest. MTL PK and 200foot game will take a major hit once/if he leaves.
I heard he can cost as much as a first-round pick and a prospect or two. I guess his defensive role has to do with that kind of value?

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I heard he can cost as much as a first-round pick and a prospect or two. I guess his defensive role has to do with that kind of value?

It does contribute to Lehkonen's value, but the main reason why his value is so high as a trade chip right now is simply because he's, as mentioned above, a really good player. Then you add to that the fact that Lehkonen is absolutely beloved by the guys in the locker room, an "integral part to the cultural fabric of the team" (Hughes' own words), and that we still hold his rights next year and could just re-sign him so we are not desperate to deal him per se.

As such, the only way we're trading him is for pry-away value, for an overpayment as opposed to equivalent value, which leads to the whole "first-round pick + good prospect" narrative.

And also, replacing a winger with the kind of puck-possession Lehkonen has, combined with his defensive prowess, pretty elite 5-on-5 scoring and chance generation, speed, fit in our system/team/locker room, incredible ability to put pressure on the puck carrier, and his really good play in transition (and more) will be much more difficult than posters on here realize.

Personally, I don't want us to trade Lehkonen at all. I'm hoping he stays put this year, we sign him this offseason, make room roster-wise in the summer of 2023 by trading/letting go a couple of guys (Byron, Armia, Drouin, etc.) and just keep him on our team to serve as a top-notch veteran presence.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It does contribute to Lehkonen's value, but the main reason why his value is so high as a trade chip right now is simply because he's, as mentioned above, a really good player. Then you add to that the fact that Lehkonen is absolutely beloved by the guys in the locker room, an "integral part to the cultural fabric of the team" (Hughes' own words), and that we still hold his rights next year and could just re-sign him so we are not desperate to deal him per se.

As such, the only way we're trading him is for pry-away value, for an overpayment as opposed to equivalent value, which leads to the whole "first-round pick + good prospect" narrative.

And also, replacing a winger with the kind of puck-possession Lehkonen has, combined with his defensive prowess, pretty elite 5-on-5 scoring and chance generation, speed, fit in our system/team/locker room, incredible ability to put pressure on the puck carrier, and his really good play in transition (and more) will be much more difficult than posters on here realize.

Personally, I don't want us to trade Lehkonen at all. I'm hoping he stays put this year, we sign him this offseason, make room roster-wise in the summer of 2023 by trading/letting go a couple of guys (Byron, Armia, Drouin, etc.) and just keep him on our team to serve as a top-notch veteran presence.
If he's such a locker room presence as you mentioned, it's imperative Montreal just keep him. I wonder why he keeps on being in the trade talks most of the time.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
If he's such a locker room presence as you mentioned, it's imperative Montreal just keep him. I wonder why he keeps on being in the trade talks most of the time.

Because other teams really want him and are reportedly pretty insistent in their prodding of Kent Hughes about Lehkonen's availability.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Didn't he request a trade a while ago?

That was Petry, who has since taken back that request officially, but maybe not privately. He wanted out of Montreal because of Québec's harsh coronavirus restrictions and what it meant for his wife and young family.

I don't want to get into speculation and whatnot, but it is fair to say that Petry's wife, with three young kids at home and very little help during the pandemic because of stout restrictions, is probably done staying in Québec (and Canada) until the shadow of re-confinement is banished for good (and it won't be for years yet).

So yeah, Petry will probably stay with us until the offseason and then get traded (could also stay with us, kinda depends on how he feels about it and how the pandemic changes things), but Lehkonen has never expressed discontent with the Canadiens and has instead said multiple times that he was more than fine with staying put.

Again, IF Lehkonen gets dealt, it will have to be pry-away value and probably a 1st +.

Reactions: NitroF

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Are you telling me that you think Montreal would say no to 1st + Compher + Barron for either Lehkonen or Dvorak? Pretty sure they would accept that in an instant.

For the record I'm not offering that, just making a point that you (like others in the thread before you) have clearly decided to ignore the "+ pick/prospect" part which I very clearly left open for discussion.
I would turn that down if it was for Dvorak. I see no reason to trade him. None. The return is irrelevant.

I’d take that return for Lehkonen though

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Well if you read any info you will have seen that Montreal doesn't actually want to trade him. They see him as a key part of their team culture and have told teams he is only getting traded if the offer is over the top like Hagel, or Goodrow previously...which is why proposals seem unreasonable at the moment because that is what is necessary. I am sure Montreal would prefer to move Armia or even Byron as they play similar but less effective roles.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Are you telling me that you think Montreal would say no to 1st + Compher + Barron for either Lehkonen or Dvorak? Pretty sure they would accept that in an instant.

For the record I'm not offering that, just making a point that you (like others in the thread before you) have clearly decided to ignore the "+ pick/prospect" part which I very clearly left open for discussion.
@Richard88

I think the message is that adding JTC will cost you extra as he will be viewed as a capdump by the Habs. If he is not a dump as you claim, then leave him out of your offer and trade him to someone else.

Habs won’t trade Dvorak at a loss after 35 games in an injury riddled season. It would cost a 1st + for Dvo or no dice.

Lehks will cost a 1st at a minimum. Reports are there are multiple teams interested. If any other team offer a 1st then that pick is more valuable than the Avs 1st by a margin based on standings alone. Ergo it would make sense to trade Lehks to another team in a separate deal and get the earlier 1st. This doesn’t even consider retaining on Lehks (50%) which would cost a bit more.

Packaging Lehkonen and Dvorak makes zero sense, particularly when the goal is to maximize the return. If they want to trade Dvorak then they would do so in the offseason but can’t see that happening.

I really don’t see Lehks going to the Avs unless they really pony up to overcome the value of the Avs late 1st. The likes of Ranta/Bowers/Kaut makes little difference. The have low ceilings at this point. Avs don’t have the capital they are willing to part with to make the Lehkonen + Dvorak deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That was Petry, who has since taken back that request officially, but maybe not privately. He wanted out of Montreal because of Québec's harsh coronavirus restrictions and what it meant for his wife and young family.

I don't want to get into speculation and whatnot, but it is fair to say that Petry's wife, with three young kids at home and very little help during the pandemic because of stout restrictions, is probably done staying in Québec (and Canada) until the shadow of re-confinement is banished for good (and it won't be for years yet).

So yeah, Petry will probably stay with us until the offseason and then get traded (could also stay with us, kinda depends on how he feels about it and how the pandemic changes things), but Lehkonen has never expressed discontent with the Canadiens and has instead said multiple times that he was more than fine with staying put.

Again, IF Lehkonen gets dealt, it will have to be pry-away value and probably a 1st +.

I thought I read he was open to being moved & wanted more opportunities to earn a bigger contract.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well if you read any info you will have seen that Montreal doesn't actually want to trade him. They see him as a key part of their team culture and have told teams he is only getting traded if the offer is over the top like Hagel, or Goodrow previously...which is why proposals seem unreasonable at the moment because that is what is necessary. I am sure Montreal would prefer to move Armia or even Byron as they play similar but less effective roles.
That's more understandable.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016

Great summary, but don't forget probably his #1 attribute. He's an absolute gamer. Lehky plays his best hockey when the games matter. He always shows up when the going gets tough. Very clutch player, and teams around the league notice that too. He doesn't disappear like other players when the games get harder, but instead plays his best hockey.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He's that guy who always gets 1000 scoring chances every game but never seems to be able to bury it. He creates turnovers, intercepts passes, his stick and his body is almost always at the right place, but the guy can't score to save his life.

Yes he did send us to the finals, yes he's had some puck luck recently and that's why I'm all in for trading him for as much as we can.

I think for some at least, the "what if" factor is scary when talking Lehkonen. He's doing a lot of things real'y good. If his scoring touch was a tad better, he'd be a solid 2nd liner for sure.

From what I remember, Lehkonen has a really good shot in terms of accuracy and velocity. However, its lacking deception and quickness at the NHL level. He needs to fake it out, he needs to release it more quickly.

Perhaps under MSL, who seems to emphasizes and appreciate offensive skills, Lehkonen could turn it around in that regard. He's learned from guys like Gallagher, Plekanec, etc. Who are/were really crappy at "sniping".

I'm lf the opinion that Lehkonen can be a decent piece to keep around, but no player is untouchable for the right pieces. I dont want a pick for him though (un'ess a top one), a good prospect would be great

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Lehkonen is a very good player and plays exactly the kind of way you need to to win playoff games. The problem for Montreal is simply that they have a very deep prospect pool and are already grooming replacement players, so they may not want to sign his next contract. It's really that simple. The demand will be high and it should be. I won't be shocked if he stays and signs but I would say it's 80% he will move if they get a good offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad