OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hollywood is definitely creatively bankrupt at this point, and peak TV is well behind us. Been a long time since a show the caliber of The Wire or Mad Men has been on the airwaves. GoT got close but jumped the shark at the end.
The best fairly recent shows I've watched start to finish that I'd say belong in that sort of conversation are Barry, Succession, and The Americans. I think a lot of shows have the potential but to HoG's point they are much less likely to give shows time to find their groove these days.

Then there are miniseries like Chernobyl or anthologies like Fargo that hit similar levels but don't sustain it.

Arcane is the show I'm most looking forward to the next season of right now, followed by Severance and maybe Shrinking. I don't get into many shows before they end anymore but those three are all great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Lol live action Cowboy Bebop was done by Netflix wat a n00b
I mean, yeah, a streaming service. That was my point mate. That Netflix did that and still f***ing missed the assignment. They've also taken a fat shit on The Umbrella Academy which at this point is thankfully ending before they turn it into a bigger shit show. But The Last Of US, on HBO Max, they knew the story in the game was great and they could expand some scenes to still go scene for scene but longer and better when needed and cut out some of the fat from the game scenes that didn't need it.

Fall out to me worked because they took just enough of the game's lore to mix in new characters and ideas and make it work. This is the issue Halo had and why Cowboy Bebop failed hard. Like I don't have any idea what that One Piece thing is, but I hear a lot of fans were more happy than angry about the adaptation because it was also fairly true to the source material. It's not rocket science, I think so many get a hard on for wanting to explore shit that they forget why the fans love it.

Halo to me was just really poorly done, for one I hated the whining about the helmet, for some scenes it made sense, but they did do it too often. They also forced some of the myth to a character most didn't care for in Kwan Ha, then f***ed up the Arbiter and didn't even bring in some of the more beloved supporting characters like Avery Johnson, I don't think anyone should touch it for a 3rd season on any new network. It should just die and be rebooted by another network if we're lucky as Halo fans to get that.

At this point I hope they do a Gears of War show but Netflix doing a "movie" of Bioshock gives me ZERO faith.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean, yeah, a streaming service. That was my point mate. That Netflix did that and still f***ing missed the assignment. They've also taken a fat shit on The Umbrella Academy which at this point is thankfully ending before they turn it into a bigger shit show. But The Last Of US, on HBO Max, they knew the story in the game was great and they could expand some scenes to still go scene for scene but longer and better when needed and cut out some of the fat from the game scenes that didn't need it.

Fall out to me worked because they took just enough of the game's lore to mix in new characters and ideas and make it work. This is the issue Halo had and why Cowboy Bebop failed hard. Like I don't have any idea what that One Piece thing is, but I hear a lot of fans were more happy than angry about the adaptation because it was also fairly true to the source material. It's not rocket science, I think so many get a hard on for wanting to explore shit that they forget why the fans love it.

Halo to me was just really poorly done, for one I hated the whining about the helmet, for some scenes it made sense, but they did do it too often. They also forced some of the myth to a character most didn't care for in Kwan Ha, then f***ed up the Arbiter and didn't even bring in some of the more beloved supporting characters like Avery Johnson, I don't think anyone should touch it for a 3rd season on any new network. It should just die and be rebooted by another network if we're lucky as Halo fans to get that.

At this point I hope they do a Gears of War show but Netflix doing a "movie" of Bioshock gives me ZERO faith.
A lot of "adaptations" feel like someone had a story they wanted to tell but were forced to wrap it up in a franchise. The best ones are one of two things: simple enough stories that cutting out filler leaves you with enough good story anyway such as The Last of Us, or like Fallout or Arcane where they really just provide a setting where there is plenty of freedom to tell a new story.

Bioshock spells trouble imo.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm supposed to take my Professional Engineering exam towards the end of the month. Back in March is when I started studying. But studying has been interrupted numerous times by work (long work hours, high stress, lots of travel) & personal things (mostly wedding planning).

At this point I've completed all of the study sessions I've signed up for but now I don't recall most of the topics from before June... And now I'm just burnt out on studying. I cannot find any motivation to re-study but at the same time I absolutely want to pass.

So frustrating.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm supposed to take my Professional Engineering exam towards the end of the month. Back in March is when I started studying. But studying has been interrupted numerous times by work (long work hours, high stress, lots of travel) & personal things (mostly wedding planning).

At this point I've completed all of the study sessions I've signed up for but now I don't recall most of the topics from before June... And now I'm just burnt out on studying. I cannot find any motivation to re-study but at the same time I absolutely want to pass.

So frustrating.

Can you defer it for a little while?

That or…….

1723067382549.gif

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Can you defer it for a little while?

That or…….

View attachment 899692

I could but I also get 3 attempts within a year of me applying. And I really, really just want to get it over with.

I'm about half of the way through the re-review. Which paces for me being done with it at least a week before the exam. I've been doing practice exams as well.

Edit

Why can't I send you a PM?

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I could but I also get 3 attempts within a year of me applying. And I really, really just want to get it over with.

I'm about half of the way through the re-review. Which paces for me being done with it at least a week before the exam. I've been doing practice exams as well.

Edit

Yeah I understand. Take it easy on yourself. Even if it’s a couple days here and there just to relax and book in some “I don’t feel like doing anything” days. If ya can.

Might have been one of my settings, I think I fixed it. Test it out now. I’ve sent PM’s recently and got reply’s.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Edit

I'd say the fresher it is in your mind the sooner you get it over with the quicker it's dealt with and not lingering over your head, maybe give yourself a really guilty pleasure day of just relaxation and getting some of that energy back, slam back some Brawndo and get it done you wanker.

My nephew was in the same boat for his bar exam, he was just done and then waited to do it and didn't do so well, crushed it on the second try and realized he shouldn't have given himself more time off than he originally planned because his mindset was still in the study and work hard phase (school mentality) vs the time he gave himself and maybe relaxed too much.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I hate when movies cast younger versions of actors and they completely f*** it up. I saw the casting rumors for Heat 2 and saw Adam Driver potentially as the young Deniro character.

Many issues.

DeNiro was 52 in that movie.
Driver is 40. Younger? Sure. But not much.
DeNiro is 5'9" and Driver is 6'3" and both look vastly different.

What the f*** Mann? In any case Ben Affleck did a better version of Heat anyway with The Town.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hate when movies cast younger versions of actors and they completely f*** it up. I saw the casting rumors for Heat 2 and saw Adam Driver potentially as the young Deniro character.

Many issues.

DeNiro was 52 in that movie.
Driver is 40. Younger? Sure. But not much.
DeNiro is 5'9" and Driver is 6'3" and both look vastly different.

What the f*** Mann? In any case Ben Affleck did a better version of Heat anyway with The Town.
12 years is certainly younger. Haven't read the book so I don't know how much younger he's meant to be though.

Edit: looked it up. Apparently it goes back and forth between 1988 and immediately following the original movie, which was 95. So it's both a prequel and sequel. So if anything driver is too young.

Height doesn't really matter imo as long as it's not like Danny devito vs Adam driver. Don't think it matters for two people in fairly normal height range. Hollywood regularly makes Tom cruise 5'11".

I land on the side of just getting the right actor who can play the character well. I know these actors already so there's a suspension of disbelief either way. I'd rather a better performance than looking a bit more like the original actor. It matters more if they're in the same movie, not so much a sequel or prequel.

Also the Town is great. I don't think it's quite as good as Heat though. Anyway, Mann cowrote the book and it seems to be well-liked so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
12 years is certainly younger. Haven't read the book so I don't know how much younger he's meant to be though.

Edit: looked it up. Apparently it goes back and forth between 1988 and immediately following the original movie, which was 95. So it's both a prequel and sequel. So if anything driver is too young.

Height doesn't really matter imo as long as it's not like Danny devito vs Adam driver. Don't think it matters for two people in fairly normal height range. Hollywood regularly makes Tom cruise 5'11".

I land on the side of just getting the right actor who can play the character well. I know these actors already so there's a suspension of disbelief either way. I'd rather a better performance than looking a bit more like the original actor. It matters more if they're in the same movie, not so much a sequel or prequel.

Also the Town is great. I don't think it's quite as good as Heat though. Anyway, Mann cowrote the book and it seems to be well-liked so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Agree. I'll wait to see details on official castings, but I'm not sure a height difference is such a deal breaker.

Also, while "The Town" is amazing, "Heat" is just a flat out better film. It's a f***ing classic, and still holds up after ~30yrs. Too many huge stars, too many great sequences.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah I understand. Take it easy on yourself. Even if it’s a couple days here and there just to relax and book in some “I don’t feel like doing anything” days. If ya can.

Might have been one of my settings, I think I fixed it. Test it out now. I’ve sent PM’s recently and got reply’s.

I'd say the fresher it is in your mind the sooner you get it over with the quicker it's dealt with and not lingering over your head, maybe give yourself a really guilty pleasure day of just relaxation and getting some of that energy back, slam back some Brawndo and get it done you wanker.

My nephew was in the same boat for his bar exam, he was just done and then waited to do it and didn't do so well, crushed it on the second try and realized he shouldn't have given himself more time off than he originally planned because his mindset was still in the study and work hard phase (school mentality) vs the time he gave himself and maybe relaxed too much.

Yeah today is going to be a "rest" day. Took me forever to get out of bed anyway.

Re: Heat -- love the sounds of the big shootout

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah today is going to be a "rest" day. Took me forever to get out of bed anyway.

Re: Heat -- love the sounds of the big shootout
The Town did a better job of a modern day version of Heat.

Michael Mann going back to make part 2 and making it likely a prequel is not a good sign. I think he wishes Kilmer was healthy because he was the only one to escape and he could have made a new team. Could have had him reunite with his son etc.

But a prequel seems weird, especially if he somehow thinks Driver is a good young version of DeNiro's character, lol.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Town did a better job of a modern day version of Heat.

Michael Mann going back to make part 2 and making it likely a prequel is not a good sign. I think he wishes Kilmer was healthy because he was the only one to escape and he could have made a new team. Could have had him reunite with his son etc.

But a prequel seems weird, especially if he somehow thinks Driver is a good young version of DeNiro's character, lol.
It's part prequel part sequel, jumping between the two. At least the book is.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The Instigators is just flat out awful. It makes you want to just yell at your tv with how poorly written the characters are. Somehow you're led to believe Matt Damon's character is an ex-Marine, a Marine that doesn't know how to use his gun properly at all or be intimidating in any way shape or form. He's utterly useless in that regard, then the dialogue is just mind numbingly stupid. How this has a 6.3 rating on imdb is a f***ing farce.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The book? Mann wrote the script based off a cop, when was there a book written?
Book came out in 2022. He announced he was working on it in 2016. He cowrote it with Meg Gardiner. I assume he largley wrote the story and she made it into an actual Novel.

Looks like the sequel part of it is val kilmers character starting literally the day after the first movie.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Heat 2 is the book being referred to in this thread.
I didn't know someone wrote a book off of his screen play. I'll look it up and give it a read.

Book came out in 2022. He announced he was working on it in 2016. He cowrote it with Meg Gardiner. I assume he largley wrote the story and she made it into an actual Novel.

Looks like the sequel part of it is val kilmers character starting literally the day after the first movie.
That could be fun.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

So frustrating.
What flavor of engineering?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad