OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The new Watchmen chapter 1 animated movie is true to the Comics. Essentially is the freaking comics made into an animated movie. It's glorious in all of its brutality. Easily a 10/10

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I've been bored and kind of catching up on Apple+ shows that I sort of felt were too heavy at the time and just put on the back burner to have something to "binge" when I was bored enough. Invasion and Foundation mostly, waiting on Bad Sisters to come out (kind of fun, wife and I watch this one together so it's our show we both watch together) and waiting on Silo and Slow Horses to eventually come back, the latter sooner it seems as its the final season.

But I was also watching some older Marvel movies to pass the time, like - Captain America movies, Iron Man Movies, some of the Avengers ones, etc and holy crap, a lot of the CGI has not aged well and the plot holes kind of become more glaring the more you rewatch, which I guess most kind of just panned and figured it's part of the pony show, DC is probably even worse with the Snyder movies, especially Watchmen, that movie will never not piss me off with how poorly Snyder missed the mark. Snyder to me gets so horned out at the imagery of Comics that he seems to just completely ignore the story and plot 70% of the time and misses the tone entirely. He ripped a lot off the pages of Watchmen but then focused on some of the stupidest shit, like a f***ing sex scene that went on for too long and some weird editing choices and story changes. In short, f*** Z Snyder. But it sucks that I can't re-watch any of the Marvel movies and enjoy because now my mind just focuses on that bad CGI and story plot holes. I was watching Ant-Man last night and that one was just like, yeah not enough star power there to make me ignore the many inconsistencies.

I definitely can't rewatch any of the Nolan batman movies, Nolan is a fantastic filmmaker but he almost took that franchise too seriously and changed so much that it couldn't be carried forward in any meaningful way and Snyder definitely didn't take any advantage of it at all. I think the only DC stuff I can rewatch is the animated stuff and the Gunn Suicide Squad movie (and his Peacemaker show). He at least knows balance, something Snyder and Nolan couldn't with the same stuff

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Shocking news - The Acolyte is cancelled after Season 1.

Well when I say shocking, I mean obvious news.

I still think it's beyond comical they said the show had "vile" reactions to it's diverse cast. Yet Mando, Andor, etc all had female or poc in major roles that had far better ratings and positive reviews. So really, the narrative they want to push isn't quite working when you consider the leads in those others shows are all POC. I hate that they play up that angle to act like it never got a fair chance. It had a lot of people watching it, the show just sucked plain and simple. It had some cool elements but it just didn't seem focused at all.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Shocking news - The Acolyte is cancelled after Season 1.

Well when I say shocking, I mean obvious news.

I still think it's beyond comical they said the show had "vile" reactions to it's diverse cast. Yet Mando, Andor, etc all had female or poc in major roles that had far better ratings and positive reviews. So really, the narrative they want to push isn't quite working when you consider the leads in those others shows are all POC. I hate that they play up that angle to act like it never got a fair chance. It had a lot of people watching it, the show just sucked plain and simple. It had some cool elements but it just didn't seem focused at all.

I'm okay with the Acolyte cancellation. Just give me more of Qimir/The Stranger. Manny Jacinto killed it.

Anyway, only a few days until my 8-9 hour long exam for my license. Hope I pass! I've been stressed as hell.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm okay with the Acolyte cancellation. Just give me more of Qimir/The Stranger. Manny Jacinto killed it.

Anyway, only a few days until my 8-9 hour long exam for my license. Hope I pass! I've been stressed as hell.

I’d say good luck but you don’t need it. You’ve put in the work.

8-9 hours 😬

1724378240394.gif

I just want to reconnect with everyone here.

Work kept me away from this place over the past few seasons. I recently started a new day job after doing almost three years of evenings and weekends.

So you’ve given up being a vampire. Welcome back to daytime living

1724378509972.gif

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

They wasted Jacinto in that show, I think they're definitely just abandoning it altogether and maybe will use Jacinto in something else. I'm sure Disney/Lucas/Marvel is trying to find a way to make Red Feather a character in one of their new disastrous MCU movies.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I kind of hate how Marvel (Disney and its other lackey companies as well) keeps casting famous big names for their movies, it kind of just becomes this incestual circle jerk of who do we re-use or pluck from this big franchise etc. I like that at least James Gunn has hired some relative unknowns or very good character actors for his movies so far. You get so tired of seeing the same big actors going back and forth. Like RDJr now as Doom, it's ridiculous and the fact that Evans jokingly came back as Torch kind of shows how ridiculous it is.

Corenswet is going to be famous after, well more famous, but at least you kind of saw him in tv shows and what not and you're stuck with an oversaturated actor in a big role. I remember when Pratt was blown up from GOTG, he was kind of in every damned thing for a while and it was tiresome, they did the same with Jennifer Lawrence. For Superman, the "biggest name" is Nicholas Hoult.

Pratt ended up being in multiple big budget movies a year, which is great for his wallet but holy f*** do you kind of want to see someone in these roles too that deserve a chance vs just using him for his clout. I see the same with Pedro Pascal, he just blew up after Game of Thrones and is getting cast in things that maybe aren't things you ever want to see him in, kind of makes you despise an actor when they're shoved in everything and at times just ruining what could have been because they figured that'd be smart to use his hype train.

Borderlands was such a shit show because they wanted big names. That game franchise adaptation NEVER needed big names, it needed incredible character actors that can bring those whacky AF characters to life. Pedro hopefully doesn't end up being burned out to audiences.

"Hey, remember that actor you just saw in two popular tv shows and 3 big budget movies, well guess what! We've now decided to put that actor in the next few big budget movies a year so you never forget his face, you might even grow to hate seeing them, but we're gonna milk this bitch for what its worth, does it make sense? f*** nah, but dolla dolla bills y'all."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Saw Alien Romulus tonight. Pretty good. Enjoyed Prey more, but it's nice to see both franchises put out decent movies.

Acolyte cancelation is annoying. But whatever. Skeleton Crew looks dope.

This should frighten most men

Why plastic is already in my wife most nights anyway?

Yuck yuck yuck.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I kind of hate how Marvel (Disney and its other lackey companies as well) keeps casting famous big names for their movies, it kind of just becomes this incestual circle jerk of who do we re-use or pluck from this big franchise etc. I like that at least James Gunn has hired some relative unknowns or very good character actors for his movies so far. You get so tired of seeing the same big actors going back and forth. Like RDJr now as Doom, it's ridiculous and the fact that Evans jokingly came back as Torch kind of shows how ridiculous it is.
This RDJ as Doom thing just feels SO far away from their normal casting style and I don't get it at all. But other than that one, am I missing some casting from them lately? Seriously, aside from Sam Jackson in a recurring role for a while, was Paul Rudd the biggest star they cast in a main role up through Endgame at least? They always did it with the villains and smaller roles like Odin, but in general I think casting has to be one of the MCU's biggest strengths.

Corenswet is going to be famous after, well more famous, but at least you kind of saw him in tv shows and what not and you're stuck with an oversaturated actor in a big role. I remember when Pratt was blown up from GOTG, he was kind of in every damned thing for a while and it was tiresome, they did the same with Jennifer Lawrence. For Superman, the "biggest name" is Nicholas Hoult.

Pratt ended up being in multiple big budget movies a year, which is great for his wallet but holy f*** do you kind of want to see someone in these roles too that deserve a chance vs just using him for his clout. I see the same with Pedro Pascal, he just blew up after Game of Thrones and is getting cast in things that maybe aren't things you ever want to see him in, kind of makes you despise an actor when they're shoved in everything and at times just ruining what could have been because they figured that'd be smart to use his hype train.
I'm definitely interested in Corenswet as SM.
Pratt is a weird one because I think he's great in GotG, Parks and Rec, and even his small role in things like Moneyball. But man did he make some bad movies for a while, where I don't think he was very good. But it's sometimes hard to be good in bad movies.
JLaw in X-Men was unfortunate timing that she blew up right after the first movie but was contracted for three. Definitely not them hiring a big star though.
Pedro Pascal is always great, but yea he's in everything these days. Fantastic Four is the first one I've really questioned him for, both as a good fit and MCU going for him for the big name. Feels weird. Blade with Ali is another big name, but he also feels like a great choice. Except they are apparently blowing it with that movie.

Borderlands was such a shit show because they wanted big names. That game franchise adaptation NEVER needed big names, it needed incredible character actors that can bring those whacky AF characters to life. Pedro hopefully doesn't end up being burned out to audiences.
I don't think big names are WHY it's shit, but it certainly doesn't help. But it also seems to be badly written, and they didn't even try to find big names who fit the parts at all. I don't understand anything they did with that movie.
"Hey, remember that actor you just saw in two popular tv shows and 3 big budget movies, well guess what! We've now decided to put that actor in the next few big budget movies a year so you never forget his face, you might even grow to hate seeing them, but we're gonna milk this bitch for what its worth, does it make sense? f*** nah, but dolla dolla bills y'all."
Chalamet and Taylor Joy feel like the other two that are at risk of overexposure. Both are legitimately very good actors, but man are they everywhere :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
This RDJ as Doom thing just feels SO far away from their normal casting style and I don't get it at all. But other than that one, am I missing some casting from them lately? Seriously, aside from Sam Jackson in a recurring role for a while, was Paul Rudd the biggest star they cast in a main role up through Endgame at least? They always did it with the villains and smaller roles like Odin, but in general I think casting has to be one of the MCU's biggest strengths.
Outside of Pedro I liked the casting for Fantastic Four, but then they went and picked up the most hyped actor right now and it isn't even a good fit imo. I think Marvel has been going after the big names for a while - Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford now, etc. Its obvious they are not happy with the sales of their last few movies and shows and well, duh. But now they're aiming at home run names to draw in the crowds to see these actors in these roles whereas I kind of like taking a lesser known, a tv actor like a few of those in the F4 movie and turning them into big names - we need more of that. It's just a pool of the same wankers each time for movies lately and it's nice to see some actors that are deserving of more, getting these bigger roles. I am always bummed Jensen Ackles keeps getting shafted for example, glad he at least got to be Soldier Boy in The Boys.
I'm definitely interested in Corenswet as SM.
Same here, also Broshanan as Lois, I think Lois was done dirty by Snyder. He turned her into a plot device and Margot Kidder was the last one that actually played Lois like she wasn't some side piece in a Superman story.
Pratt is a weird one because I think he's great in GotG, Parks and Rec, and even his small role in things like Moneyball. But man did he make some bad movies for a while, where I don't think he was very good. But it's sometimes hard to be good in bad movies.
Ironically he was in that space movie with J-Law that was so bad, but The Terminal List was pretty good where as Tomorrow War ass. Even him in Jurassic Park just felt like he was mailing it in for the massive payday. But as Star-Lord he was fantastic and even Gunn putting Batista as Drax was a risk that paid off heavily. I think those risks are worth it over say if Marvel went and got Dwayne Johnson as Drax, could you imagine how much of a shit show that would be?
JLaw in X-Men was unfortunate timing that she blew up right after the first movie but was contracted for three. Definitely not them hiring a big star though.
I thought she was fine as the character in some mediocre X-men movies, those movies had the casting down ok but the stories they adapted were just awful and they just kept trying to finish it and made it worse each time, even wasted Oscar Isaac not once, but twice in Marvel properties, lol and then to punt the bloke in the bollocks for another - Absolutely wasted him in Star Wars.
Pedro Pascal is always great, but yea he's in everything these days. Fantastic Four is the first one I've really questioned him for, both as a good fit and MCU going for him for the big name. Feels weird. Blade with Ali is another big name, but he also feels like a great choice. Except they are apparently blowing it with that movie.
I like Ali a lot, amazing actor but he isn't Wesley Snipes. The great thing about Snipes was that he wasn't just some jacked bloke, he was also a martial artist and he made the Character truly come to life because of it. Ali might have his own take on it but we'll maybe never find out given how many issues that production is having and the older Ali gets, the harder this will be to pull off as well, it's been in production hell for like 5+ years now no?

But Pedro, yeah he went from 3 massive shows - GOT, Mando, and Last of Us and then movies galore, he was wasted in that offensive to comic books WW84 and then just kept popping up and has this weird "Zaddy" craze that is just super cringe, but he's a great actor that's just getting milked for all he's worth which Hollywood loves to do. The Kirby acting was fine, she has been trending up for years and is finally getting her dues, the Mission Impossible movies brought her fully entrenched into Hollywood over from the UK.
I don't think big names are WHY it's shit, but it certainly doesn't help. But it also seems to be badly written, and they didn't even try to find big names who fit the parts at all. I don't understand anything they did with that movie.

Chalamet and Taylor Joy feel like the other two that are at risk of overexposure. Both are legitimately very good actors, but man are they everywhere :laugh:
Here's the thing - When you have a good story, you might want a better actor to play those meaty parts and that's fine but when your scripts are mediocre, you might want a big actor to make them better and that's where I think we will disagree because I think MCU heavily relies on these actors to take scraps and turn it into a master piece and for years it did work even with glaring flaws the overall product was good enough to ignore most of it anyway and now that shine is wearing off and they're going back to their own actors that they retired for new roles, hiring senior citizen legends to fill up the screen with better presence, etc. Anya was kind of a waste in the Mad Max movie, I mean yeah she was great in it, but that was good enough to cast an unknown just for having Hemsworth you know?

Chalamet, yeah he's on the cusp of it for sure, although any bloke that dates a Kardashian I lose entirely all respect for :laugh:

I think one of the worst thing was how Marvel did Frank Grillo absolutely dirty. Crossbones isn't some bit character in that story and they just turned him into a useless mercenary that gets killed after being built up as someone and then poof, blown up. Rumlow is a mercenary yes, but he's also one of the classic Cap villains and they turned him into barely a second thought and I know Grillo was pissed because that wasn't what he was told and why he signed on, he knew the story after digging into and its why he took that role and they f***ed that up. What most forget is when you sign these contracts, they also block off time where they might need you to film re-shoots or scenes and he was f***ed for a few years because of it. I hope Gunn does right by him.

The only MCU character I even remotely give a shit about and want to see a proper movie FINALLY is Spiderman, it's been so f***ing long and they're now finally doing the Spiderman story after years of pushing Avengers trash and connected bullshit for those movies and other characters, it turned one of my fav characters as a lad into some plot device for MCU Avengers movies and connected characters. To have Holland for this long and to now finally do it after appearing as Spiderman across 6-7 movies is just so wrong.

With DCU - I do hate that Pattison doesn't connect with the Gunn universe, I think Pattinson and Corenswet as a team would be cool, but whatever, I guess we need the Elseworlds and what not and will have 2 Bruce Wayne's but no clue if they do it concurrently or wait until Reeves is done with his movies. Elseworlds does give DC some flexibility, like Keanu Reeves returning as Constantine but also being to play within their own sandbox for the DCU. I do like the nod to Christopher Reeve by James Gunn, that was pure f***ing class to cast his son in that movie even just as a TV Reporter, but honestly if he had done more acting, he has the look for Superman himself.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Outside of Pedro I liked the casting for Fantastic Four, but then they went and picked up the most hyped actor right now and it isn't even a good fit imo. I think Marvel has been going after the big names for a while - Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford now, etc. Its obvious they are not happy with the sales of their last few movies and shows and well, duh. But now they're aiming at home run names to draw in the crowds to see these actors in these roles whereas I kind of like taking a lesser known, a tv actor like a few of those in the F4 movie and turning them into big names - we need more of that. It's just a pool of the same wankers each time for movies lately and it's nice to see some actors that are deserving of more, getting these bigger roles. I am always bummed Jensen Ackles keeps getting shafted for example, glad he at least got to be Soldier Boy in The Boys.
Marvel has mostly done somewhat lesser knows for the main characters I'd say, and then big stars for smaller or one-off characters. The writing has mostly been focused on the main characters with the villains being pretty underwritten. They have great actors really upgrading very mediocre villains all the time. Imagine how boring Ego or Hella could have been with just average performances. So in a lot of cases they have absolutely hired these big stars as a bandaid for their biggest weakness. I don't have a problem with it in terms of the casting; I think it's fun to watch big stars take on fun roles.

But then they cast pretty much all of the first few phases of main characters damn near flawlessly with lesser known or at least less often cast actors. And I don't think any of the bigger names have ever really felt miscast in what I've seen. And while I don't think I love Pascal as Reed, I still feel much better about it than RDJ as Doom. That just feels like they're getting desperate; like full on stunt casting.
Same here, also Broshanan as Lois, I think Lois was done dirty by Snyder. He turned her into a plot device and Margot Kidder was the last one that actually played Lois like she wasn't some side piece in a Superman story.
Hollywood underwriting women/love interests is a tale as old as time. Here's hoping.
Ironically he was in that space movie with J-Law that was so bad, but The Terminal List was pretty good where as Tomorrow War ass. Even him in Jurassic Park just felt like he was mailing it in for the massive payday. But as Star-Lord he was fantastic and even Gunn putting Batista as Drax was a risk that paid off heavily. I think those risks are worth it over say if Marvel went and got Dwayne Johnson as Drax, could you imagine how much of a shit show that would be?
I am so happy and honestly impressed that they never brought in the Rock for an MCU role.

I don't dislike Pratt certainly, but he just doesn't have a lot of range. Jurassic World tried to make him a cool guy, but he just seemed so unnatural. He's at his best when he's some degree of a goober.

I thought she was fine as the character in some mediocre X-men movies, those movies had the casting down ok but the stories they adapted were just awful and they just kept trying to finish it and made it worse each time, even wasted Oscar Isaac not once, but twice in Marvel properties, lol and then to punt the bloke in the bollocks for another - Absolutely wasted him in Star Wars.
Yeah those X-Men movies struggled. First Class was decent enough and DofP was solid, but those next two were about as bad as movies get. They had Isaac looking like he was going against the 90's Power Rangers.

I like Ali a lot, amazing actor but he isn't Wesley Snipes. The great thing about Snipes was that he wasn't just some jacked bloke, he was also a martial artist and he made the Character truly come to life because of it. Ali might have his own take on it but we'll maybe never find out given how many issues that production is having and the older Ali gets, the harder this will be to pull off as well, it's been in production hell for like 5+ years now no?
Not quite sure how long, but too long for a guy who isn't really an action guy to begin with who is not 50 years old. Dude's a great actor who drips charisma and I'm confident they could make it work, but I don't know what the hell they're doing. Snipes will certainly be hard to top in that role though.
But Pedro, yeah he went from 3 massive shows - GOT, Mando, and Last of Us and then movies galore, he was wasted in that offensive to comic books WW84 and then just kept popping up and has this weird "Zaddy" craze that is just super cringe, but he's a great actor that's just getting milked for all he's worth which Hollywood loves to do. The Kirby acting was fine, she has been trending up for years and is finally getting her dues, the Mission Impossible movies brought her fully entrenched into Hollywood over from the UK.
I've never been upset to watch Pedro Pascal, he's been good in everything I've seen. But he's like 15 years older than Kirby which I just don't love. And I just don't get the need to go with such a big star for a franchise ensemble; one that you'd think they will want to keep doing for a while. Kirby is great in MI, never seen her in anything else I don't think.

Here's the thing - When you have a good story, you might want a better actor to play those meaty parts and that's fine but when your scripts are mediocre, you might want a big actor to make them better and that's where I think we will disagree because I think MCU heavily relies on these actors to take scraps and turn it into a master piece and for years it did work even with glaring flaws the overall product was good enough to ignore most of it anyway and now that shine is wearing off and they're going back to their own actors that they retired for new roles, hiring senior citizen legends to fill up the screen with better presence, etc.
yep already touched on this: the MCU has absolutely done this with their smaller or one-off roles. No question about it. Where I differ with you is that I generally think it's worked. It lets them focus the story on the main character that they are building up through the whole series. Not that it's perfect because you also sometimes waste a guy like Mads Mikkelsen on a character I can't even name in Doctor Strange, but I like it for someone like Hella who really is just a temporary roadblock, but Cate Blanchet made her super fun to watch anyway. Same with Goldblum in the same movie. There isn't time to actually build up both, but they are both just immediately enjoyable characters regardless of how underwritten they are.

Chalamet, yeah he's on the cusp of it for sure, although any bloke that dates a Kardashian I lose entirely all respect for :laugh:
I bet she's a lovely lady :laugh:

I think one of the worst thing was how Marvel did Frank Grillo absolutely dirty. Crossbones isn't some bit character in that story and they just turned him into a useless mercenary that gets killed after being built up as someone and then poof, blown up. Rumlow is a mercenary yes, but he's also one of the classic Cap villains and they turned him into barely a second thought and I know Grillo was pissed because that wasn't what he was told and why he signed on, he knew the story after digging into and its why he took that role and they f***ed that up. What most forget is when you sign these contracts, they also block off time where they might need you to film re-shoots or scenes and he was f***ed for a few years because of it. I hope Gunn does right by him.
Yeah you could tell they at some point intended to do more with that character then just didn't. Which is a shame because he was a good one and they could use more recurring villains.

The only MCU character I even remotely give a shit about and want to see a proper movie FINALLY is Spiderman, it's been so f***ing long and they're now finally doing the Spiderman story after years of pushing Avengers trash and connected bullshit for those movies and other characters, it turned one of my fav characters as a lad into some plot device for MCU Avengers movies and connected characters. To have Holland for this long and to now finally do it after appearing as Spiderman across 6-7 movies is just so wrong.
Spiderman being in that weird Sony/MCU crossover just sucks. It gets his villains all mixed up, and it makes the MCU do all the silly crossover stuff instead of proper solo movies. I think Holland is great in the role and I enjoy the movies, but I do hate that they aren't proper Spiderman movies. And I'm still worried where they take the new ones; rumors are already out about multiverse bs. Leave that to the animated ones please.

With DCU - I do hate that Pattison doesn't connect with the Gunn universe, I think Pattinson and Corenswet as a team would be cool, but whatever, I guess we need the Elseworlds and what not and will have 2 Bruce Wayne's but no clue if they do it concurrently or wait until Reeves is done with his movies. Elseworlds does give DC some flexibility, like Keanu Reeves returning as Constantine but also being to play within their own sandbox for the DCU. I do like the nod to Christopher Reeve by James Gunn, that was pure f***ing class to cast his son in that movie even just as a TV Reporter, but honestly if he had done more acting, he has the look for Superman himself.
I genuinely have no idea what to think about the DCU moving forward. I really like Guardians. I think his The Suicide Squad was good, but not as good as a lot of people. I think a lot of it is that I don't love his sense of humor. Or I find it very hit or miss. Lots of great jokes in all of his movies, and lots of complete whiffs too imo.

But mainly, I'm super interested to see his Superman. He's saying the right things about respecting the character and knowing what he's all about, but boy does a proper Superman movie feel outside of Gunn's wheelhouse compared to what he's always made :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
weird double post

I'll use this double post to say - if Lucas' plan for the next trilogy was adapted by Disney, they could have still pretend to be woke while also doing a story that the creator had planned and it would have been far better than the shit show they made.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Gunn showed you can do an incredible movie with an ensemble cast of lesser known actors and yet Disney/MCU still felt they needed Pedro for F4.

The irony is Marvel had the perfect actor to pull off Doom in Pedro and chose to use him incorrectly instead. The 15yr age gap is one thing as well that seemed just off to me in that ensemble. I mean yeah he's older than Sue in the Comics too but that's a bit much.

Evans - he'd done the storm role in fantastic four, had been doing enough to be a big name already but the role made him bigger.

Hemsworth - that was one where they took a smaller name and made him massive.

Rdjr - was already an Oscar winner.
Paltrow - big name
Samuel L - I mean...
Scarjo - was already a big name
Bridges - he was a legend already and they used him as a baddie
Kingsley - the bloke is knighted.
Pearce - another big actor
Reviving Ruffalo's career was cool
Hiddleston was already trending up big time before the Loki role.
Renner was already a very well known character actor

Then they had Skarsgard, Portman, Hurt, Redford, etc. They did cast some small names for some but for a lot they went for some Hollywood legends and Goats. MCU figured if Batman can win an Academy award then they can at least fill their roles with Oscar winners.

I was actually disappointed in seeing Harrison Ford in the MCU in a role that just seemed dumb to recast. They could have moved on and left that role for Hurt and his legacy but went ahead anyway. Gunn was guilty of it too - Cooper as Rocket, Sly Stallone, Yeo...but then he's also used them in creative ways. He literally used Cooper as a voice actor and marvel didn't really like that and he told them too bad, Sly and Yeo playing some of the OG Guardians was nice, then he used Sly in a voice acting role in DC and it was hilarious and awesome. Also the insanely overrated Vin Petrol as Groot. I knew the old regime of dc was run my dipshits. Dwayne as Black Adam was always a bad idea and the bloke is an egomaniac. He took that role and made it about himself and then tried to take over the dceu by forcing superman into it and ignoring Shazam. He could have done better and I'm glad he never got to do Lobo and ruin that character. The Rock finally being seen as a self serving wanker was nice to see aired out. For as nice as he is, he tried to turn something into what it shouldn't have been. To make black Adam an antihero right from the get go was just stupid. Marvel already showed you how to do it better with Loki and Dwayne shit all over it.

Gunn doing Suicide Squad and Peacemaker gave me hope that even with the GOTG being awesome, he understood the assignment. The thing I despised about Snyder was he saw comics as just inspiration for cool images. Gunn sees it like a comic book fan. Snyder never understood the characters and their motivation and when he did Watchmen that was ample proof that loser was the wrong choice.

Edit: Btw Ogre - They can't seem to let Vision die and now Ultron is back somehow.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Bro... this is EPIC.

And so f***ing true. HoG is a sexy sexy beast.
The first thing my Mum would say is “Hun, did you bleach your skin like Sammy Sosa?”

Romulus had its moments, really good moments. The rest of the movie was what you'd expect. I'd give it a 7/10.
I liked the previous two that came out before this, kind of a shame it wasn’t continued. But I’m glad this one is getting decent reviews, it makes me want to check this one out for yet another Alien reboot, lol.

Reactions: BHD

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Got around to watching The Gentlemen a couple weeks ago and liked it quite a bit. Just finished S1 of the series tonight and really liked it too. I'm always looking for a fun, breezy, stylish story like that. And it was cool seeing Vinny Jones as a more mellow guy for a change.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Got around to watching The Gentlemen a couple weeks ago and liked it quite a bit. Just finished S1 of the series tonight and really liked it too. I'm always looking for a fun, breezy, stylish story like that. And it was cool seeing Vinny Jones as a more mellow guy for a change.

Yeah, it was a good season. They just signed on for a S2 as well. Looking forward to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad