OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I was meandering a YouTube hole and I discovered, to my concurrent joy and dismay, that there is a full copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special. The honest to god "aired once in 1978 and never again saw light of day" Holiday Special. The "To this day George Lucas disavows knowledge of" Holiday Special. This is a grenade on which I must lay.

I'll report back and let you know if it proves more or less painful than watching the Pens' 3rd line play hockey.
Link or it didnt happen

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

I've seen this a few times or more. Including back then.

sweet Jesus. I sort of remember this thing, but figured it was some kind of awful windowpane mind f***, and couldn't have been real, so never dared mention it to a soul. I do like the rat, and maybe a Land of the Lost tie-in would bring some real menace. Wookiees need furniture that doesn't look it fell off the Price is Right showcase, just sayin.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
sweet Jesus. I sort of remember this thing, but figured it was some kind of awful windowpane mind f***, and couldn't have been real, so never dared mention it to a soul. I do like the rat, and maybe a Land of the Lost tie-in would bring some real menace. Wookiees need furniture that doesn't look it fell off the Price is Right showcase, just sayin.

Someone link the KISS cartoons and movies

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I haven't quite finished yet seeing as how this work of art requires time to properly digest.

-Chewbacca's previously and hereafter unmentioned family: Mala (with lipstick!), Itchy, and Lumpy
-The decision to make the focus of the special to follow a Wookie family that does not speak English
-Chewie's concerned family reaching out to noted friends Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Art Carney.
-Harvey Korman as alien drag queen Julia Childs (!!)

....aging wookie gets hooked into VR of dirty talking disco lady?

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The 70's were a mistake
Watch it bub, those be the stomping grounds of my youth. Real baseball and not this juiced crap and poor ownership you guys grew up on. There were some bad for sure, that was state of the art back then that some would never appreciate now, but this stuff is what started the CGI you know today.

I mean, how many of you even experienced (90's) dial-up connections?

Meaning we had to actually do stuff, we were outside finding stuff to do, get in trouble (I was Dennis the Menace reborn) and play everyday. Baseball, off the wall, release, tag. A little more simpler time. You didn't have to worry about guns/mass shootings, just getting beat up every now and then. Walked and road bike everywhere. You could actually leave your doors unlocked.

:D:laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
...weren't the 70s like an absolute bonanza for serial killers and other violent criminals?

I dunno. I tend to think we just HEAR way more about all this stuff, now. If you look at crime numbers we actually live in shockingly safe times. But I mean... you watch the news and listen to certain people and you wouldn't know it.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Extraordinary on Star/D+ is fun. I suspect a lot of you wankers would related to the character aptly named ":eek::eek::eek::eek:lord."

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
...weren't the 70s like an absolute bonanza for serial killers and other violent criminals?

I dunno. I tend to think we just HEAR way more about all this stuff, now. If you look at crime numbers we actually live in shockingly safe times. But I mean... you watch the news and listen to certain people and you wouldn't know it.
I mean outside of the shootings, pretty safe.

Taking Sociology back in the day, one of the biggest issues with a lot of the serial Killers and what not was a lot claimed kills they didn't do, for notoriety while others went the other way on it and the vast desolate highways where a lot of bodies were dumped. You had serial Killers that literally went on cross country murder sprees and were only caught for their own squabbles with their partners or a lot had just bad policing, eye witnesses, etc. Then there's the lack of profiling and again back to policing where departments didn't play nice with others to send them full info or any info just to be dicks about cases they felt they "owned" vs solving them.

Nothing like a relaxing night of studying tossers like Gacy, Dahmer, Manson, BTK, Bittaker and Norris, etc.

There’s a ton that still have no explanation for nor are they close to being solved and you can go back to the 20’s to 60’s and see how few were solved or chalked up as just missing persons. No one figured to learn what a pattern was.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Watch it bub, those be the stomping grounds of my youth. Real baseball and not this juiced crap and poor ownership you guys grew up on. There were some bad for sure, that was state of the art back then that some would never appreciate now, but this stuff is what started the CGI you know today.

I mean, how many of you even experienced (90's) dial-up connections?

Meaning we had to actually do stuff, we were outside finding stuff to do, get in trouble (I was Dennis the Menace reborn) and play everyday. Baseball, off the wall, release, tag. A little more simpler time. You didn't have to worry about guns/mass shootings, just getting beat up every now and then. Walked and road bike everywhere. You could actually leave your doors unlocked.

:D:laugh:
90's? I remember dialing up and connecting with Pitt's mainframe from Towers B in 1983. 300 baud connection. You could almost see they bytes moving.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014

A common theme on the true crime pod I listen to is how the late 60's to early 80's were the "Golden Age" of serial killers.

A common thread in those cases: not enough people were locking their doors and windows.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I mean outside of the shootings, pretty safe.

Taking Sociology back in the day, one of the biggest issues with a lot of the serial Killers and what not was a lot claimed kills they didn't do, for notoriety while others went the other way on it and the vast desolate highways where a lot of bodies were dumped. You had serial Killers that literally went on cross country murder sprees and were only caught for their own squabbles with their partners or a lot had just bad policing, eye witnesses, etc. Then there's the lack of profiling and again back to policing where departments didn't play nice with others to send them full info or any info just to be dicks about cases they felt they "owned" vs solving them.

Nothing like a relaxing night of studying tossers like Gacy, Dahmer, Manson, BTK, Bittaker and Norris, etc.

There’s a ton that still have no explanation for nor are they close to being solved and you can go back to the 20’s to 60’s and see how few were solved or chalked up as just missing persons. No one figured to learn what a pattern was.
The Chicago Strangler was an awful intersection of so many of those elements.

I think some of the difference now is in the rise in advocacy for marginalized groups, like sex workers and gay men. Part of the reason Gacy got away with it for so long was because no one wanted to look at and possibly catch the gay cooties. He had a wide victim pool to pull from, though, because all of his victims except one, iirc, had been cut off from their families because they came out and got kicked out. Same thing with sex workers. ~No one cared~ about these people, which wasn't - and isn't - true. The scummiest person you know has at least one person in their life who cares about them.

Otoh, someone with a lot of murderous urges now can probably more easily find an outlet now via the dark web.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
The most @Ogrezilla thing I’ve ever come across….

"What has it got in its pocketses?"

Good luck finding all of them, Gollum. Extra pockets for the win all day, I, too, will die on this hill.

Do you know some women's clothing *still* comes with no f***ing pockets? And how obnoxious that is? I'm personally not a fan of carrying my necessities in my bra when I don't want to use a bag.

Just don't wear your extra-pocketed items to any security checkpoints.

Anyway, that IG handle is quite something :laugh:

my favorite true crime podcast is called "the news".
Full of balloons, currently.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
"What has it got in its pocketses?"

Good luck finding all of them, Gollum. Extra pockets for the win all day, I, too, will die on this hill.

Do you know some women's clothing *still* comes with no f***ing pockets? And how obnoxious that is? I'm personally not a fan of carrying my necessities in my bra when I don't want to use a bag.

Just don't wear your extra-pocketed items to any security checkpoints.

Anyway, that IG handle is quite something :laugh:

Full of balloons, currently.
If Gollom had cargo shorts on he’d never lose the ring or find it in one of the pockets he can’t figure out he put it in.

guys if Snoop Dogg is promoting Skechers I can officially be cool if I wear them, right?

Nah mate.

Nah.

Snoop is old af. He probably just wears them now as his old man sneaks.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
If Gollom had cargo shorts on he’d never lose the ring or find it in one of the pockets he can’t figure out he put it in.

Nah mate.

Nah.

Snoop is old af. He probably just wears them now as his old man sneaks.
I don't want to equate the TSA to the Nazgul, but last time I flew, I got a pat down ahead of my departure flight wherein I'm pretty sure they recovered items lost in grade school and every sock disappeared by every dryer I've ever used.

Skechers *are* pretty comfy, can't fault his taste there.

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad