OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Thailand is hot.

6PBnYg_59gTi7zamloy8Piz0dZc=.gif
oh nice, dude. you getting to travel again?

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
oh nice, dude. you getting to travel again?

Yep. The stars aligned and I'm getting my first taste of SE Asia. Primarily Thailand & Laos with a bit of northern Vietnam for good measure. Plus a 50 hour layover in Singapore as a coda.

South Korea gets to be the lamest technicality on my visited countries list...flight arrived in the evening and next one was the following morning, so I basically just took the train into Seoul and slept.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yep. The stars aligned and I'm getting my first taste of SE Asia. Primarily Thailand & Laos with a bit of northern Vietnam for good measure. Plus a 50 hour layover in Singapore as a coda.

South Korea gets to be the lamest technicality on my visited countries list...flight arrived in the evening and next one was the following morning, so I basically just took the train into Seoul and slept.
Yeah, that was my experience with SK basically. We had a layover, and basically slept in the capsule hotel in the Incheon airport, which was actually quite nice and comfy

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

I’ll be going to Thailand and Vietnam in a couple of months as well. Not looking forward to the heat. Or travelling with my in-laws.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, that was my experience with SK basically. We had a layover, and basically slept in the capsule hotel in the Incheon airport, which was actually quite nice and comfy

I made the mistake of booking a hotel actually in Seoul thinking that doing so would get me to do something while I was there...but all that did was put more steps between me and the only thing I cared about after crossing the Pacific: a bed.

I’ll be going to Thailand and Vietnam in a couple of months as well. Not looking forward to the heat. Or travelling with my in-laws.

The heat is destroying me. I don't know how anyone functions when it's above 70º, never mind this...and it's been overcast thus far. The amount of ice put into drinks is both hilarious overkill and necessary.

Ate at my first Michelin-listed restaurant last night. One of the best meals I've ever had and the total was under $3. The food situation was a little intimidating considering the extensive list of foods I'm not supposed to eat (including the nebulous 'spicy foods') plus the language barrier...but this is why I'm here with a local guide. You know you're in for something good when the food is being prepared in the alley next to the restaurant and the tables and chairs are little more than card tables and tiny stools.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I made the mistake of booking a hotel actually in Seoul thinking that doing so would get me to do something while I was there...but all that did was put more steps between me and the only thing I cared about after crossing the Pacific: a bed.

The heat is destroying me. I don't know how anyone functions when it's above 70º, never mind this...and it's been overcast thus far. The amount of ice put into drinks is both hilarious overkill and necessary.

Ate at my first Michelin-listed restaurant last night. One of the best meals I've ever had and the total was under $3. The food situation was a little intimidating considering the extensive list of foods I'm not supposed to eat (including the nebulous 'spicy foods') plus the language barrier...but this is why I'm here with a local guide. You know you're in for something good when the food is being prepared in the alley next to the restaurant and the tables and chairs are little more than card tables and tiny stools.
Prepare your anus mate, you’re gonna be going on an adventure.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Prepare your anus mate, you’re gonna be going on an adventure.
:laugh:

Trust me, with Crohn's Disease I'm prepared for the worst. Thankfully I've had better luck at limiting the spiciness of things here than I've had at Thai restaurants back home...so far... I can handle a bit, but the line between enjoyment and horrifying regret is paper thin and I'm trying not to figure out how far I can push things. Especially not with a 12+ hour overnight train ride tomorrow...

Sometimes you just gotta know when mango sticky rice is as intense as you can go...and that's the best damn fall-back 'bland' option I've ever had.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Mates I got huge news. George Lucas is set to direct a series of Star Wars movies.

:laugh:

Trust me, with Crohn's Disease I'm prepared for the worst. Thankfully I've had better luck at limiting the spiciness of things here than I've had at Thai restaurants back home...so far... I can handle a bit, but the line between enjoyment and horrifying regret is paper thin and I'm trying not to figure out how far I can push things. Especially not with a 12+ hour overnight train ride tomorrow...

Sometimes you just gotta know when mango sticky rice is as intense as you can go...and that's the best damn fall-back 'bland' option I've ever had.
My wife is worried about me and food as well. I am not a big sea food person. I eat chicken, beef, and pork and I don’t mind salmon nigiri etc. but I’m also allergic to shellfish and these wankers love their seafood.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just watched 'weathering with you' last night.... wow. Probably my new favorite modern anime even among live action films.. And it's even a love story.
I'm getting soff in old age. But from animation to just everything.... what a film.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watched Phenomenon last night. Decent film.
Not bad at all. Mix between Kpax and Beautiful mind and something else.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Watched Phenomenon last night. Decent film.
Not bad at all. Mix between Kpax and Beautiful mind and something else.

Yeah it’s pretty good. Much better than Powder which came out around the same time.

Have you seen Michael?

Just watched 'weathering with you' last night.... wow. Probably my new favorite modern anime even among live action films.. And it's even a love story.
I'm getting soff in old age. But from animation to just everything.... what a film.

Yeah it was pretty good. Ever seen “Wolf Children”?

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah it’s pretty good. Much better than Powder which came out around the same time.

Have you seen Michael?

Yeah it was pretty good. Ever seen “Wolf Children”?
Seen the case for Michael, but not the film.
Good watch?
I pick up old .50 c movies at the goodwill, mostly vhs, to watch at my grandmothers.

Likewise, seen the movie in lists of 'top anime films' or what not, haven't got to it yet though.
Still finishing up Tales from the crypt at season 4.... final 3 or 4 movies from Ghibli....
Wolf children is added to the queue. It's good?
Michael too. VHS queue though =]

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seen the case for Michael, but not the film.
Good watch?
I pick up old .50 c movies at the goodwill, mostly vhs, to watch at my grandmothers.

Likewise, seen the movie in lists of 'top anime films' or what not, haven't got to it yet though.
Still finishing up Tales from the crypt at season 4.... final 3 or 4 movies from Ghibli....
Wolf children is added to the queue. It's good?
Michael too. VHS queue though =]

Michael is like the same type of movie as Phenomenon. Early / mid 90s drama but kinda funny and heart warming.

Wolf Children is my favorite anime movie.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Michael is like the same type of movie as Phenomenon. Early / mid 90s drama but kinda funny and heart warming.

Wolf Children is my favorite anime movie.
Thanks for that. Always, always looking for quality recommends.
More so in the anime department because, while 'your name' was good at parts 'weather with you' really nailed my taste in movies. We both liked it so much I didn't want to go into another anime film to soon because I'd be disappointed it wasn't as good as 'WWY'. But wolf children is added to the non-ghibli list.... (it's a short list so it'll get watched first) which I just really started. *took a while to get through 20 or so ghibli films (and another one due out in july).

10x
=]

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Gurglesons also watching the tick, dilbert and the critic... mostly on in the background... but I'm going back to the 90's =P

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yeah, Crohn's is rough. But I'm glad to see you're still enjoying the food. Hell, the best meals I've ever had in Asia tend to come from alley restaurants and by old ladies with betel nut grins.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Didn’t they have like a painting called the passion or something on the broadcast last night?

Like what’s next Bun B doing the national anthem?
I feel insulted. Are we thought of so lowly that we'd only get Bun B? Why not unite the peoples and get Slim Thug and Paul Wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad