OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Y'all ever here about the "3rd place" concept? The concept is that people used to have 3 places they would typically be found at in a week. The first and second places being ones job and ones house.

A third place could typically be a bar or cafe, even a church or local park. Basically a neutral location between your home and your job where you could be or hang out and relax. Like Homer going to Moe's when he's not at work or at home.

Apparently nowadays, most people don't really have a third place. I've seen speculation and theorizing that its even detrimental to human social life and and physical interaction in this modern day.

Ain't that quackin' crazy Jimbo
It's wild that you don't have that sort of thing in the US. There is nothing like popping by a friend's bar or cafe after work for a drink or a coffee and then home.

It's actually the thing we're the most sad about with moving out of Prague, we have to find a whole new series of third places.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Since nixing my hotel room in WV I've pretty much just stayed home Monday though Friday. When I was in WV I did have 3 or 4 places that I went to often after work but it was usually just the restaurant next to the hotel. Which I'll be going back to next week.

But we have been doing trivia during the week off and on since September.

And like I've said, I usually go out on Fridays and Saturdays but that's to new places.

If it were warmer I'd probably walk to the local pub more often after work. Good bar food and nice beer selection. Very reasonable prices too.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
It's wild that you don't have that sort of thing in the US. There is nothing like popping by a friend's bar or cafe after work for a drink or a coffee and then home.

It's actually the thing we're the most sad about with moving out of Prague, we have to find a whole new series of third places.

Well shit I wish I had friends who owned bars and cafe's. Closest thing I have is one of my best buddies is loaded due to his folks. And they own a Hotel/restaurant in Italy. Which is new, their main source of income is real estate here in the US

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hate to butt in with the discussion about shows and such, but I don't see much posted here about Tyre Nichols

Interesting phenomenon because I feel like his death was 100X more tragic and worse than George Floyds', yet the media and other conversations are significantly less than Floyds. Goes to show you just how much the media influences ...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hate to butt in with the discussion about shows and such, but I don't see much posted here about Tyre Nichols

Interesting phenomenon because I feel like his death was 100X more tragic and worse than George Floyds', yet the media and other conversations are significantly less than Floyds. Goes to show you just how much the media influences ...
I think it helps that people were arrested and charges were filed before videos or anything ever came out. And both "teams" agree that this one was completely unacceptable, so there's no debate going on. There's hundreds of murders that don't get talked about. It's the ones that have controversy around them that get media attention, but pretty much everyone agrees on this one.

I'm not saying that's right or how it should be, but I think it's why it's different.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think it helps that people were arrested and charges were filed before videos or anything ever came out. And both "teams" agree that this one was completely unacceptable, so there's no debate going on. There's hundreds of murders that don't get talked about. It's the ones that have controversy around them that get media attention, but pretty much everyone agrees on this one.

I'm not saying that's right or how it should be, but I think it's why it's different.

I have a slightly different take. I believe the lack of outrage here is entirely due to the race of the police officers. A certain segment of people can no longer say "another black life taken by white racist cops".

This situation has made it clear for EVERYONE that this isn't a "racial problem", but a police cultural/institutional problem.

Tyre Nichols will sadly not be immortalized like Floyd. That to me is the most bizarre thing

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I have a slightly different take. I believe the lack of outrage here is entirely due to the race of the police officers. A certain segment of people can no longer say "another black life taken by white racist cops".

This situation has made it clear for EVERYONE that this isn't a "racial problem", but a police cultural/institutional problem.

Tyre Nichols will sadly not be immortalized like Floyd. That to me is the most bizarre thing

The issue is the culture of policing. The way black and brown/poc are treated is what the culture of the badge brings. The fact that black cops treated him the same way white cops treated Floyd, actually in a more vicious way is an interesting case study of how wearing the badge and the culture of policing often results in the same abuse.

The outrage used to be the whole “ACAB” thing that was going around and then suddenly it was race focused and it’s not always that way. I think it’s a touchy subject as if you in this case look at the fact that the black cops beat the black kid like they were white cops because of the culture of policing, it gives a defense to the white cops that can claim the culture vs racial as well. Which in that case, it could be culture and not racial but the culture was created based on racial profiling.

It’s an ugly mess.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I guess. I don’t think all cops are racists pieces of shit and do fight the culture so it’s sad when after all that’s been happening, this is still going on.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't claim to be a public policy wonk, but I've done a lot of judo with cops and every single one of them in my weight class has been absolutely insufferable to train with. :laugh:

Also, not all that good at the ground or standup game to tbh.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The issue is the culture of policing. The way black and brown/poc are treated is what the culture of the badge brings. The fact that black cops treated him the same way white cops treated Floyd, actually in a more vicious way is an interesting case study of how wearing the badge and the culture of policing often results in the same abuse.

The outrage used to be the whole “ACAB” thing that was going around and then suddenly it was race focused and it’s not always that way. I think it’s a touchy subject as if you in this case look at the fact that the black cops beat the black kid like they were white cops because of the culture of policing, it gives a defense to the white cops that can claim the culture vs racial as well. Which in that case, it could be culture and not racial but the culture was created based on racial profiling.

It’s an ugly mess.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I guess. I don’t think all cops are racists pieces of shit and do fight the culture so it’s sad when after all that’s been happening, this is still going on.

Absolutely agree with everything you say. Studies have shown that regardless of the race of the "obvserver", POC are viewed as more threatening vs non POC.

I again hypothesize that the reason people don't want to talk much about Tyre is what we're discussing. There should be no more tropes about "racist white cops". And that is some supreme cognitive dissonance for many people. Hell some organizations' genesis were formed on the basis that all white cops are racist. This is a difficult pill for many people to swallow, so there's silence about Tyre. In a week, he'll be old news...that's honestly sad to me.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I don't claim to be a public policy wonk, but I've done a lot of judo with cops and every single one of them in my weight class has been absolutely insufferable to train with. :laugh:

Also, not all that good at the ground or standup game to tbh.
It’s why they need to attack in numbers. Basically gang beating/swarming an unarmed bloke makes them feel super tough.

Absolutely agree with everything you say. Studies have shown that regardless of the race of the "obvserver", POC are viewed as more threatening vs non POC.

I again hypothesize that the reason people don't want to talk much about Tyre is what we're discussing. There should be no more tropes about "racist white cops". And that is some supreme cognitive dissonance for many people. Hell some organizations' genesis were formed on the basis that all white cops are racist. This is a difficult pill for many people to swallow, so there's silence about Tyre. In a week, he'll be old news...that's honestly sad to me.
The thing with this is that one side will run with the whole “see it’s not racial” and then try to absolve all the other issues as just corrupt policing and it might be true, the latter, but not entirely. But the stigma was created on the premise of racist stereotyping so as I stated it’s an ugly mess to dig into but nonetheless, something worth discussing but all media has a narrative and it will never get the proper discussion and attention it deserves. A young life was needlessly lost again and no one will learn anything from it.

That’s what breaks my heart. Life is full of lessons and all anyone wants is blame.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s why they need to attack in numbers. Basically gang beating/swarming an unarmed bloke makes them feel super tough.

The thing with this is that one side will run with the whole “see it’s not racial” and then try to absolve all the other issues as just corrupt policing and it might be true, the latter, but not entirely. But the stigma was created on the premise of racist stereotyping so as I stated it’s an ugly mess to dig into but nonetheless, something worth discussing but all media has a narrative and it will never get the proper discussion and attention it deserves. A young life was needlessly lost again and no one will learn anything from it.

That’s what breaks my heart. Life is full of lessons and all anyone wants is blame.

I'd say, looking at it from both sides, there have been some seriously bad people on drugs who think they are superman, and that brings about the gang-up and protect your brother in arms motto, but then there's the police side where it goes too far as well.

Both have proven to be deadly both ways.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That was a weird situation I had at work. This Korean customer I been talking to for a couple months when she shops at my job like 3-4 times a week walks by me and says "Hey Patrick", I say "hey" as I am working so my back was to her, she started freaking out infront of some co workers asking me what's wrong and if I am doing ok. I said I was fine and we resumed to talk about movies and other things for a while and she was blushing like crazy and laughing/smiling. I like her but she's been married for 11 years and has 3 kids, that's a nono. I am way too friendly at work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Finally got all of the pieces for my Burrow couch. This couch is a solid 9/10, just insanely well built and comfortable. We’ll see how long it lasts with my asshole cats scratching at it, but it’s terrific so far. You can tell it’s very good quality.

D228B727-F420-4C42-BFBF-DC3297672DAF.jpeg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My kids decided randomly to watch a "new" show they found on D Plus called Gravity Falls. It's always massively exciting to me when the offspring find themselves super into a show I nerded out about in my past.

The show I've discovered on Disney Plus recently is called Bluey. I kept seeing Youtube videos about people saying "this show is amazing", they're correct. This show has no business being this good.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The show I've discovered on Disney Plus recently is called Bluey. I kept seeing Youtube videos about people saying "this show is amazing", they're correct. This show has no business being this good.

Bluey is really good. It's definitely popular amongst parents and I feel it's even more so among fathers because the dad is so damned relateable. There's lots of peeks into the adult lives and tons of in-jokes and references.

For example, I've never seen Doc McStuffins cover that all too relateable fatherhood meme of trying really hard not to drop F Bombs in front of your toddler who has happily just drop kicked you in the balls. Bluey does though.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bluey is really good. It's definitely popular amongst parents and I feel it's even more so among fathers because the dad is so damned relateable. There's lots of peeks into the adult lives and tons of in-jokes and references.

For example, I've never seen Doc McStuffins cover that all too relateable fatherhood meme of trying really hard not to drop F Bombs in front of your toddler who has happily just drop kicked you in the balls. Bluey does though.

The comments I saw before checking it out were that the show was basically a show for parents that kids could enjoy. I think that description makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Deport Ogie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad