Post-Game Talk: Heritage Classic: Canucks lose 4-2 to the Senators - Blame The Closed Roof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
the worst is I still have not gone to a game yet........I want to even if the team may not play well...... It is still possible that a seller could sneak into the playoff because of some of the youth or maybe not......don't think that happen before

Well I hope that can happen soon for you, I'm sure you'd cheer louder than the businessmen there all the time. Really is nothing like being at a game, win or lose.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So if neither, is any supposed mental fortitude - or lack thereof - basically a non-factor? And do you honestly think what Gillis alluded to still holds true 2 years after the fact?

I personally do. The team is constantly trying to sabotage themselves and basically float at any opportunity; this has been going on since the Cup Final run.

Blowing shutouts for your goalies, collapsing in the final moments of games and losing, not putting in full game efforts, all this stuff has been happening pretty much constantly. It's just more noticable now with an older core.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
If there ever was a game to sum up our organization, this was it.

Start strong and take a lead
Blow the lead
Lose a key player to injury
Make a controversial goaltending decision

Essentially everything we have done from the SCF onwards was encapsulated in today's game.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'm probably the only one listening to post game on the Team1040 but this clown Mike in Langley is back at it again calling Luongo a diva.

Take a seat Mike. You take yourself a little too seriously calling in every post game, yelling at the top of your lungs trying to tell everyone how it is.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I'm probably the only one listening to post game on the Team1040 but this clown Mike in Langley is back at it again calling Luongo a diva.

Take a seat Mike. You take yourself a little too seriously calling in every post game, yelling at the top of your lungs trying to tell everyone how it is.

Hate that guys guts.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB

Team1040 after a loss is some seriously funny ****.

"By the time Kassian is good, HODGSON WILL HAVE 120 POINTS."

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I personally do. The team is constantly trying to sabotage themselves and basically float at any opportunity; this has been going on since the Cup Final run.

Blowing shutouts for your goalies, collapsing in the final moments of games and losing, not putting in full game efforts, all this stuff has been happening pretty much constantly. It's just more noticable now with an older core.

We were pretty good with a lead going into the 3rd period even under AV in terms of results, though I can't remember the stat. But all of a sudden the perception is they're more often blowing late leads and giving up quick back-to-back goals this year under Torts. For something to change that quickly due to a new coach alone doesn't make sense. So to me something's not adding up here.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Even you admitted it yourself: we aren't Pittsburgh. So the thing that comes out of this is it's a question of what team you have, not the situation you faced (SCF loss) that's the determining factor. That they were able to overcome it because they're the Pens and we're not i.e because they were good enough a team to do so. That is, if we were good enough too we'd be able to get back there as well.

Do you mean to say that somehow the Canucks ended up with all mental midgets? Even if it were true to a small extent, I can't see it being significant enough of a factor to affect virtually an entire locker room in the way they handle adversity out there.

And this is to say nothing of the notion that somehow they've been mailing it in for the last few years because of one win 2 seasons ago.

But two superstars alone don't make a team. Everyone knows that. Otherwise we'd see them in the final every year. There's a lot more going on than just who has the most star players and who doesn't. Luck, injuries and all these other things.

I'm completely lost to be honest, I have no idea why we're discussing the Pens or the point you're making, sorry.

Here's the point I was trying to make:

The team loses in the Finals, a loss that was apparently so devastating the owner felt the need to bring in a psychologist to try to help them team recover. Gillis then decides that the team, the one who was far and away the best team in the NHL before injuries hit, was not built for the playoffs and foolishly tried to emulate and Bruins style approach. He brings in Booth because he's a "power forward" built for this new team identity, loses Ehrhoff, Salo, trades away Hodgson for more beef, let's Raymond walk for nothing, etc. Basically shedding skill in an apparent attempt to reset the team. AV lost complete faith in the team as well, reverting to a style that was so passive it choked the offensive life out of the team, players lost confidence because after the Finals the management and coaches lost confidence in them. It seems obvious to me, everything that was working for the team broke when they lost.

So yeah, the Finals loss was the spark that started this brush fire. It's nearly burned this team to the ground though, so it looks like some new life will be growing soon.

Sorry for all the spelling and grammar mistakes, still not used to typing on this iPad..

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Personally I think any distribution of 'mentally weak players' - if such a thing exists - evens out across all 30 teams. Random chance and all that. So it doesn't end up being a factor for/against any team because everyone has them. Not to mention that Gillis quote was an anecdote from a GM who was most likely trying to cover for his team's performance in the year after a SCF appearance and another Prez and justify keeping his team together for another run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad