Post-Game Talk: Heritage Classic: Canucks lose 4-2 to the Senators - Blame The Closed Roof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I'm completely lost to be honest, I have no idea why we're discussing the Pens or the point you're making, sorry.

Here's the point I was trying to make:

The team loses in the Finals, a loss that was apparently so devastating the owner felt the need to bring in a psychologist to try to help them team recover. Gillis then decides that the team, the one who was far and away the best team in the NHL before injuries hit, was not built for the playoffs and foolishly tried to emulate and Bruins style approach. He brings in Booth because he's a "power forward" built for this new team identity, loses Ehrhoff, Salo, trades away Hodgson for more beef, let's Raymond walk for nothing, etc. Basically shedding skill in an apparent attempt to reset the team. AV lost complete faith in the team as well, reverting to a style that was so passive it choked the offensive life out of the team, players lost confidence because after the Finals the management and coaches lost confidence in them. It seems obvious to me, everything that was working for the team broke when they lost.

So yeah, the Finals loss was the spark that started this brush fire. It's nearly burned this team to the ground though, so it looks like some new life will be growing soon.

Sorry for all the spelling and grammar mistakes, still not used to typing on this iPad..

While there's some truth in this, it's mostly just skating around the fact that the team's primary core players are the ones responsible for the decline in offense. Hodgson vs. Kassian, Ehrhoff vs. Garrison, one system vs. another, etc. is just window dressing when your 1st line goes 1/4 the season without scoring a goal.

The bottom 3 lines are only generating about 10% fewer GF (about 13 goals over an entire season) compared to 10-11. Unfortunately the 1st line/1st PP unit are down by about 40% compared to that season. Maybe better depth would partially overcome that, but it can't completely paper over the type of seasons the team's primary scorers are having.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Although I agree with you in spirit, CoHo practically did not play in the playoffs for us, so he was a non-factor.

Getting Booth isn't the same as losing Ehrhoff. That's been debated to death around here.

Salo yes, Raymond no when it comes to 'main cogs' of the team. We basically found out Raymond wasn't as good as we thought he was.

The part about AV I believe but I don't think Gillis 'broke' the team. Did the team 'break' mentally? Yes, I totally agree with you on that.

Salo hurt but then at the same time I don't think anyone could've justified giving up that kind of term and cash to Salo considering his injury history.

I honestly didn't think that losing him would impact the team that much, and I don't think anyone could've predicted that, unfortunately.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
keeping Ehroff/Salo and dumping Ballard and not trading for Booth, keeping Torres/Malholtra and we might have better team. But cap space may be an issue

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Salo hurt but then at the same time I don't think anyone could've justified giving up that kind of term and cash to Salo considering his injury history.

I honestly didn't think that losing him would impact the team that much, and I don't think anyone could've predicted that, unfortunately.

Agreed. I love Salo but 3M+ at 38 years old is a gamble that could blow up badly.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
with gillis there seems to be two contradictory criticisms, one side saying he's overreacted to the 2011 bruins loss and another side saying he hasn't done enough to improve the team

my view would be that this one is on an aging core that may work hard but simply doesn't have the mental fortitude or the high level skill to produce the results that they got 3 years ago, and it's gillis' fault for not recognizing this sooner and preventing any long term deals (ie sedins, burrows) that limit the team's options in the next three years

hodgson/kassian, salo/ehrhoff/garrison...they are important moves but don't matter much when the core of the team looks so painfully slow and feeble on offence, and there is a complete lack of support from young players that should've been drafted 3-4 years ago and should've started making a push to get into the top 6

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Ironically, it was taking the "safer" route with not resigning Salo that backfired. But that in a vacuum is not what killed us. An unfortunate series of events, with unforseen consequences, led to the Canucks being where they are today.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Canucks are where they should be. -16 GD right now.

Canucks are average in the west defensively and one of the worst in the league offensively. Team has a 16% chance of claiming a playoff spot.

16 seems high lol.

I dont even care about playoffs, but please stop doing things to embarrass the franchise like sitting luongo today and his treatment. Its no wonder everyone wants out of vancouver. Signing free agents will be impossible after this tobacle

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We lost and shot off fireworks, just when i think there are no other things other teams can laugh at us for......

It was an NHL event. The NHL set the prices for tickets, so you can bet they had a hand in what went on entertainment wise as well. The Canucks wouldn't have shot off fireworks had they lost because why would they? I mean, anything to fit your agenda, but come on.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
It was an NHL event. The NHL set the prices for tickets, so you can bet they had a hand in what went on entertainment wise as well. The Canucks wouldn't have shot off fireworks had they lost because why would they? I mean, anything to fit your agenda, but come on.

Well i was AT the game and literally everyone around us was laughing at it, so its not just my agenda.

It looked dumb

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006

I dunno, maybe because it's the same organization that celebrates a losing 1994 team constantly? So why it put past them to have the final say on the fireworks.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Well i was AT the game and literally everyone around us was laughing at it, so its not just my agenda.

It looked dumb

I was at the game too, and most people cheered the fireworks. Especially all the kids. I have a good idea what the people in your immediate vicinity were laughing at though.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
We lost and shot off fireworks, just when i think there are no other things other teams can laugh at us for......

Sorry but that is hilarious. This team is a circus from the ownership right down to the GM and coaching staff. People are finally getting hip to Gills' act, I was way ahead of the curve on that one, and if he botches the Kesler trade and doesn't get one blue chipper (Pouliot?), he should be fired on the spot. Vancouver is now in the bottom half as far as destinations go.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I was at the game too, and most people cheered the fireworks. Especially all the kids. I have a good idea what the people in your immediate vicinity were laughing at though.

It make sense to have fireworks...it a family-friendly event....

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Rumblings out of Rodgers Arena says Daniel Sedin out 4 to 6 weeks with a Hamstring Tear .....expect Nick Jensen to be called up tomorrow

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Rumblings out of Rodgers Arena says Daniel Sedin out 4 to 6 weeks with a Hamstring Tear .....expect Nick Jensen to be called up tomorrow

that pretty much the rest of the season :( It would nice if the team can rally around injuries to Daniel, Santorelli, Alberts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad