Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
He has to be thinking about his ability to make a living next season and beyond. I would be. An in person hearing might help with that.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Taking Torres out means we do what what, have Kennedy in?

Marleau - Couture - Kennedy
Galliardi - Thornton - Burns
Desjardin - Pavelski - Wingels
Sheppard - Gomez - Kearns

Mitigate the damages by overloading the top lines and limiting the 4th line's minutes.

Pavelski - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Galiardi
Sheppard - Gomez - Wingels
Kennedy/Hannan/Tennyson - Desjardins - Kearns

SpaceCoastShark

Look what the cat dragged in
Apr 8, 2009
Space Coast, FL
Whether or not he's suspended, this is exactly why I was against the Torres acquisition.
Todd and the boys better start making their golf reservations. :shakehead

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
He doesn't have to go, but it is highly advisable. The NHL doesn't always ask for an in person interview. It's usually asked for only when the player will get more than 5 games.

Wasn't there a tweet saying part of the reason it's in-person is because Blake is in LA right now?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Honestly if he's suspended I don't see any other choice other than calling up Nieto if it can be done. No one else can even hope to provide enough offense to be of any use. I don't think it will work, and it's a bad thing for Nieto to throw him into an NHL playoff game like that, but the Sharks simply have no one else.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Wasn't there a tweet saying part of the reason it's in-person is because Blake is in LA right now?

All I've seen is LadyStanley tweeting that Blake may be in LA. I don't see it being a factor in whether a phone or in person interview was requested. But maybe I missed it.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Honestly if he's suspended I don't see any other choice other than calling up Nieto if it can be done. No one else can even hope to provide enough offense to be of any use. I don't think it will work, and it's a bad thing for Nieto to throw him into an NHL playoff game like that, but the Sharks simply have no one else.

Nieto doesn't have a contract to play this year I believe, I'm not sure how it would work changing the dates on his contract to start this season.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Can't play in the NHL right now. The Sharks are ****ed. R

kwhyte

Aug 2, 2005
I think Fraser's take is right on - this is just like Gryba's hit. Most people see it as clean, but the league's view is that if you go for a hard open ice hit then it is your responsibility to avoid head contact by making sure you can line it up perfectly. That does take some of the hitting out of the game, but given the severity of the concussion problem, I can understand it.

Gryba had no history, unlike Torres, and got 2. I'm guessing Torres get considerably more than 2. I suspect they'll respect that he has cleaned up his game after his massive suspension, but also want to send a firm message that he needs to stay away from borderline plays. My gut says 6 games - enough to ensure he isn't seen again in the LA series, but short enough that he will be back in the next series should the Sharks advance.

However, I'm confused on one point. With the new CBA, if it is 6 or more he can appeal. Given that many people see it as a clean hit, I'm guessing he would. What happens then? Can they get the appeal done in a day? If not, does he get to keep playing while the appeal happens? Maybe he'd just stay suspended for the 5 they can give him without appeal and the hearing would only be about the ones after that?

I suspect the NHL would hate to have a legal battle in the middle of the playoffs, especially if they think they could lose big ( like the appeal ruling there should not have been any suspension but the Sharks are already eliminated by then). That might mean they just keep it to 5 to avoid the issue.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Great, now we may not know until tomorrow.

@helenenothelen

Quote:
Sharks apparently want in-person hearing for Torres. So NHL might not announce anything today

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
If Torres gets more than 1 game DW should go ape on Shanny. (I don't think he should even get 1 game though).

But if we don't have Torres, I think the best person to call up would be Freddie Hamilton. Or maybe ice 7..hell, 8 defensiveman!

Galiardi - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Gomez
Sheppard - Pavleski - Wingels
Desjardins - Kearns - Hamilton/Demers/Tennyson

Just limit the 4th line minutes. And by limit, just don't play them :sarcasm:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
So is this the third series that Torres has caused us to lose? :sarcasm:

AnderFunk

Sep 17, 2010
Regina, SK
I am the opposite of a Torres fan, and even after he has joined the Sharks I am still one of his biggest detractors. I was outraged that he didn't get a longer suspension than he did last season and that he even got it appealed down to fewer games. If he is allowed to continue to play, I think it is only a matter of time before he commits a serious offence again.

But this particular hit, I just can't see why he would get suspended for it. If principle point of contact was the head I'd say lock him up (for good), but for the life of me I just don't see it.

EDIT: Is it possible that they just want an in-person hearing to tell him "look, you were really close to a bad play here so you gotta be more careful because this is your last chance"?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

I know Nieto has a contract beginning next season, but can he be signed to play now? I know he could have been signed during the season to play then (but nobody wanted to burn an ELC year), never heard if it can happen in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad