Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
Seems like most of the hockey world is in agreement that the punishment does not fit the crime.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 31m

Sure feels like the ONLY factor in Torres' suspension was his history. Didn't like decision at all. #SJSharks

SignThornton

BEAST MODE
Oct 14, 2005
St. Catharines, Ont.
Remainder of series? That is utter horse ****. Shanahan can blow moose ****. One game at most and only because it was Torres. I thought the hit was fine and Torres intentions were good. This is gonna hurt us big time. Guys need to step it up.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
could going to an arbitrator do more harm than good? or is it a case of "the suspension cant get worse"

Its weird. They didn't give him a set number of games which I think they have too. This just stinks of a suspension to take the heat off the league.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
I have also been looking for an older Shanny pic that was hilarious, but GIS is failing me.

It was the year after Shanny left the Whalers, and he was visiting/playing Hartford. Someone had a sign that read "Kiss the Cup Shanny!" and had attached a cup/jock strap.

:D

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Watching Shanahan's explanation video just angers me even more. I have to think he may be out of a job soon.

Suspending a guy for a variable amount of games is a crock, as evident by the CBA.

The majority of the hockey world outside of L.A. agrees this suspension is a joke.

I look forward to hearing DW's comments although knowing him he won't say anything controversial.

Mhoogasian94123

I don't want to make anyone more upset

Didn't Stoll deliver a dirty hit on Ian White a couple years ago? Was he ever suspended or fined? I don't remember hearing about any punishment.

I just don't understand why some hits aren't punished and something like this is. YES Torres does have a reputation but come on. Does the league hate the Sharks and Torres THAT MUCH?!?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Didn't Stoll deliver a dirty hit on Ian White a couple years ago? Was he ever suspended or fined? I don't remember hearing about any punishment.

I just don't understand why some hits aren't punished and something like this is. YES Torres does have a reputation but come on. Does the league hate the Sharks and Torres THAT MUCH?!?

Stoll got a game from that boarding. I was shocked to see White come back for the series.

parad0x

YOWZA!
Sep 18, 2009
Bay Area/ The OC
I'm in the same boat as you, and I absolutely despise Jarett Stoll. So I don't think it's a paradox.

i dont want stoll to be injured a long time, but i also dont want him to come back into this series. is that a paradox?

you rang? haha anyways I don't agree with this suspension at all. It's ludicrous. If anything it could've been a game...definitely a reputation call.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I am curious how much of that detail is directly aimed at DW and Torres' defense of the hit?

I liked the video and seeing it layed out that way I can understand the suspension despite believing that it was a clean hockey play that went wrong.

The real issue I have is that Shanny wants Torres to take a direct line through the middle of Stoll which provides the greatest chance of missing altogether and turning into a scoring play for LA. There are basically no players in the NHL who would risk taking that approach and since the puck is not on the ice the only "safe" move would be to give Stoll free ice and turn out of the zone before making the hit. IMO that is not where i want to see the game go.

Spot on. I'm sure most of that detail was a result of the meeting, Shanahan even says at one point (paraphrasing) that "we can agree that the hit was shoulder-to-shoulder", almost as if he was talking directly to Torres and DW. You also bring up a really good point with regards to Torres' line, who the hell would try to hit a guy at a 90% angle when they're skating north to south with the puck? Nine times out of ten you'd either hit them softly or miss them entirely.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Spot on. I'm sure most of that detail was a result of the meeting, Shanahan even says at one point (paraphrasing) that "we can agree that the hit was shoulder-to-shoulder", almost as if he was talking directly to Torres and DW. You also bring up a really good point with regards to Torres' line, who the hell would try to hit a guy at a 90% angle when they're skating north to south with the puck? Nine times out of ten you'd either hit them softly or miss them entirely.

"While we might agree". :laugh:

What a turd.

That's what really set me off.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
this has been happening for a while. every hit is looked at differently.

im sure many factors go into the decision, but none of them should matter.

1. star power
2. injury on the hit-ie: wingels will never draw a suspension on someone from all the crap he takes because he doesnt get hurt
3. past

judge the hit on the hit. his explanation, while im glad he provided one didnt make sense.

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
Can someone just give me the gif of the guy hurling his cellphone at the wall. That's just about how I'd sum up my day.
I really knew this sort of thing was coming. Shannahan was probably licking his chops when this vid came in. He knew it was his chance to redeem himself after missing on so many other warranted suspensions during the season.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
BS ruling and it shows on the NHL explanation of downplaying the shoulder to shoulder hit as might be the initial point of contact, inconsequential, but not the primary target. This is like listening to the press secretary at the White House.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
"If it were truly up to me I wouldn't suspend him but I have too" thats what that video said to me.

I got more of a "It probably shouldn't be a suspension. Because it's Torres I might've gone 1 game... But since Bettman took a few games off my previous suspension I'm adding those back onto this one".

sharkie88

Dec 30, 2006
The only positive I take out of this, and a few others have mentioned it, is that it gives the Sharks a clear rallying point. Free Torres? Well, it's completely in their hands. Past teams we've had would wilt under this pressure...I'm not saying the same thing won't happen but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Go Sharks!

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Can someone just give me the gif of the guy hurling his cellphone at the wall. That's just about how I'd sum up my day.
I really knew this sort of thing was coming. Shannahan was probably licking his chops when this vid came in. He knew it was his chance to redeem himself after missing on so many other warranted suspensions during the season.

lol Redeem himself? I think this suspension was ****ing awful, and just showed that Shanny is a ****ing dumbass.
And for "the rest of the WCSF" is not even a valid suspension period.

NHL CBA Article 18.10 Timing of Suspension: "As a general matter, a Player who is suspended shall serve a specific number of games."

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
How the hell can he say that DESPITE hitting his shoulder first, that the head was still the principal point of contact?!?! I am beyond pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad