Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

almo8989

May 10, 2011
As a Canucks fan, I can feel your pain. I always thought Raffi got the short end of the stick because opposing players are making themselves vulnerable. Everytime Raffi throws a "Borderline" hit, his elbow is always tucked in and doesn't leave his feet. It always seems like he's leaving his feet, but it's always after the hit is delivered which is natural. He's just a really strong hitter and it's not his fault that other players can't take a hit. I feel that culture of hockey when it comes to taking hits is totally wrong now. Not enough onus is put on the puck carrier to keep their head up and be aware of where they are on the ice. Heck it seems like nobody can take a big clean hit without starting a fight. How is this considered more severe than Chris Kelly's blatant elbow? So stupid

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
They aren't going to suspend the big stars during the playoffs, but a guy like Torres? He's got a history and an easy guy to throw under the bus to make it look like the league cares about it's players.

thats the effin problem

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
i dont want stoll to be injured a long time, but i also dont want him to come back into this series. is that a paradox?

sjsharklover

Jun 22, 2008
san jose
The two positives from this

1. We will get him back for the Chicago series
2.if we want to resign him ,he might be a little cheaper

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I'm actually a lot more impressed by that video than I thought I would be. I don't agree with the suspension in the slightest, but at least there's a detailed explanation as to what went into their decision.

I am curious how much of that detail is directly aimed at DW and Torres' defense of the hit?

I liked the video and seeing it layed out that way I can understand the suspension despite believing that it was a clean hockey play that went wrong.

The real issue I have is that Shanny wants Torres to take a direct line through the middle of Stoll which provides the greatest chance of missing altogether and turning into a scoring play for LA. There are basically no players in the NHL who would risk taking that approach and since the puck is not on the ice the only "safe" move would be to give Stoll free ice and turn out of the zone before making the hit. IMO that is not where i want to see the game go.

68 Z-28

Jul 10, 2007
Under the Tank
It shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us that Torres got suspended for this hit based on his repuation alone. I'm glad they didn't throw the book for 25+ games at him and actually don't mind the call of "remainder of the series". It keeps Torres out of a possibly retribution situation and he will be back for the Conference Finals.

Something else that I would like to see if for suspensions during the regular season is to have the suspended player serve his suspension during game(s) against the team that the penalty was committed against.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
They aren't going to suspend the big stars during the playoffs, but a guy like Torres? He's got a history and an easy guy to throw under the bus to make it look like the league cares about it's players.

Exactly the problem with the league. Stars can get away with pretty much anything. Role players are crucified.

sharkie88

Dec 30, 2006
I wish Stoll a full-recovery but...if he is back for Game 3, this suspension starts looking a whole lot worse. Our lack of depth will be exploited and this series could be over in a hurry.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
It's not like our hopes were hinged on Torres, but it can't be denied that losing him deals a significant blow to the forward depth.

I'm disappointed in the ruling but can't really say I'm surprised. He has a history, and we all should have known when he was acquired that he wouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this. Doesn't make it any more right, but that's the wheel for you.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
OMG I"M GONNA BREAK MY TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Jones likes the suspension because it's "unique" and the Kings have lost Stoll for at least a game.

:rant:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
good on DW for sticking by his man at the hearing, and obviously presenting a solid case.

arbitrary suspension length is arbitrary.

can you argue that he should get a suspension? probably.

was it handled correctly? not at all.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
@DarrenDreger 27 secs
Players always could + still can appeal suspensions of any length to the commissioner. Only susp of 6 or more go to arbitrator. New twist.

This is potentially a 6-gamer. Should go to arbitrator.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
The suspension length was just as angering as the suspension itself. Rest of the series? That's variable.

NHL CBA Article 18.10 Timing of Suspension: "As a general matter, a Player who is suspended shall serve a specific number of games."

Swing and a miss! Nice job upholding your CBA Shanny. :shakehead

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
OMG I"M GONNA BREAK MY TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Jones likes the suspension because it's "unique" and the Kings have lost Stoll for at least a game.

Keith Jones 2nd on the list of Big Idiots on Television. I don't think he'll ever take the Mantle for Milbury, but he's up there.

BadVooDoo

May 3, 2010
Just watched the explanation video and I'd laugh if I weren't so pissed. Shanny says it himself that the initial point of contact of the hit was the shoulder and he should know that after the hit is thrown sometimes s**t happens. Hopefully the NHLPA can pull something out of their hat, despite the bs ruling that they used to try and handcuff them.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us that Torres got suspended for this hit based on his repuation alone.

I'm surprised by it. In the past he has been suspended longer based on his reputation but at least he delivered suspension-worthy hits to get those. To get a suspension at all on a hit that should not have merited one is a terrible, terrible precedent and not one that any reasonable fan should expect, no matter who the player is.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
could going to an arbitrator do more harm than good? or is it a case of "the suspension cant get worse"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad