Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KT

Oct 5, 2009
What kind of head hunter racks up 17 PIMs in a season??

Torres stated clearly his bad boy days were over for a variety of good reasons. And his season certainly bore that out. As did the clean Stoll check. All we're seeing today is a cynical league on a blatant witch hunt desperately looking for a scapegoat to prove their new Hockeytainment Lite family-friendly brand. A brand they can shove where the sun don't shine in my book.

NWShark*

I think you lost all credibility when you disagreed that Torres is a head hunter. That is a proven fact, whether you are a fan of the team he plays on or not. How many suspensions has he now garnered from the NHL? According to your logic, however, he is some victim. Nonsense.

You lost all credibility when you said the head was targeted and that most of the contact was to the head.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
What kind of head hunter racks up 17 PIMs in a season??

Torres stated clearly his bad boy days were over for a variety of good reasons. And his season certainly bore that out. As did the clean Stoll check. All we're seeing today is a cynical league on a blatant witch hunt desperately looking for a scapegoat to prove their new Hockeytainment Lite family-friendly brand. A brand they can shove where the sun don't shine in my book.

It has to be someone. Raffi has a target on his back but its ok for Ovie to bust open Ryan McDonagh's head.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
This is stockholm syndrome, to put it charitably. He is under ZERO responsibility to play the puck and the body needs to be taken, hard, whenever it's available.

He could/should have played the puck on that play IMO. Clearly Stoll was struggling to keep his footing. You shouldn't hit a guy when they are in a defenseless position like that, its a liability. If Stoll was simply just skating with his head down, I could understand the outrage. This is so strange to understand as they are former teammates and friends. Clearly Torres had no intention on hurting the guy, but didn't see him stumbling when he came in for the hit?

To be fair. I do think Torres's reputation is a factor in all of this. I strongly believe that if the hit was made by someone else, just a penalty would be sufficent.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1430161

That's the main thread for this topic on a neutral board. You're more than welcome to try over there. Do not expect people to here to receive you too well when you're wishing for one of their players to be booted for a long time.

Ok. Well please let me know what I cross that line. I am just trying to have an honest debate. I am sure some other fans here appreciate having to justify their positions to fans from other teams.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
@sharkvoice 52 secs
@brodiebrazilCSN Could be they are saving the news for the @NBCSN pregame show.

@brodiebrazilCSN
Being that it's almost 6pm in NYC: maybe the #nhl is having a really difficult time deciding on the Torres hearing? #sjsharks #lakings

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
Hitting makes the game more exciting and marketable. The question is how do you make it clean hitting?

That is a complete misnomer. Hockey IS in its nature, dangerous. In fact the majority of concussions come from "legal" hits. Only a small percentage come from "Illegal" ones.

yeah, the league sucks at discipline, which is why they need to ban Torres for at least year. I'm pretty sure the NHLPA will fight it, though.

The NHL doesn't want to ban Torres. They would end up banning their entire roster if they wanted to TRULY enforce illegal hits.

got a link on that data? I'd say that every player is thinking about it now for sure. In fact, if you just take two of the worst - Cooke and Torres, they had been clean all year, when previously they would have had multiple incidents every year.

Clearly Torres has not been clean all year as we are discussing this thread.

are you saying you are doing exactly the same things the same way since you were a kid?

Huh? In terms of "HOCKEY" yes these players have lots of tendencies and instincts they have been developing from when they were a kid.

there is a difference between someone who refuses to change how they play, and a person who does change with the rules. BTW, they have started taking hitting out of lower youth hockey because of the incidents of concussions.

Well like you said, clearly, Torres is not someone who refuses to change. He has made a clear attempt to change. But obviously he please the game a certain way and he can never undue that.

They actually took out hitting because they want youth players to better develop their skill (there has been a lot of concern about why North American players are not scoring as many point as russian/european players). It has nothing to do with their concern for concussions.

In tern, with no hitting in youth hockey this will help them do more dekes with their heads down so that later in their career they can get to the NHL and suffer a concussion from Raffi Torres. :sarcasm:

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
So when the debate is about a supposed "subjective" analysis about what the player intended, obviously we should take into account his prior actions in order to determine whether a specific area of the body was targeted, correct?

He got him in the shoulder. If we are going to take into account recent actions we should take into account that Torres had 17PIM in 52 games and played clean for the whole season.

NWShark*

So by your logic, because of his past history, he should be getting suspended EHRMEGERD25GAEMSMINIMUM every time he commits a tripping or hooking penalty. This isn't women's hockey, buddy.

Don't be sexist dude. I've played hockey with women who could probably outhit most of the posters on the board.

masterofallxix

Aug 5, 2005
San Diego/ San Jose
@sharkvoice 52 secs

@brodiebrazilCSN
Being that it's almost 6pm in NYC: maybe the #nhl is having a really difficult time deciding on the Torres hearing? #sjsharks #lakings

To me that sounds somewhat promising. If they were suspending him I'm pretty sure they would have done it by now. They must be debating internally. And I really think that if they are debating it at all, then they should not suspend. You don't suspend unless you're 100% sure that he was targeting the head/there was intent to injure. If there is any doubt then you have to be able to let it go. That's what I think at least...

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
verdict will be very interesting, but will likely dissapoint most of us. so just prepare your body.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
@sharkvoice 52 secs

@brodiebrazilCSN

I like the 2nd tweet.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
So when the debate is about a supposed "subjective" analysis about what the player intended, obviously we should take into account his prior actions in order to determine whether a specific area of the body was targeted, correct?

Absolutely, 100% false. Targeting can be clearly ruled out by video and it was clearly ruled out in this video. The legality of the play itself can NOT be subject to the player's past, a play is either legal or not and all the prior history in the world can NOT change that without sacrificing the league's integrity.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't feel one way or the other now. I think the NHL wants to be able to explain it via a Shanny Video so those who will be upset, one way or another, will get a full explanation all at once instead of stuff slowly trickling out of Twitter etc...

KT

Oct 5, 2009
Exactly. Only the penalty phase can take the past into account.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
I don't think anything can be taken from Brodie's tweets ... "Could be ..." and "Maybe " ... he doesn't have anymore insight than any of us.

I think it could really go either way. Even if they think it was a clean hit, it's Raffi Torres, it's the playoffs with major publicity, and they are trying to clean up the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad