Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I'm hoping that they announce it like some wrestling intro, right before the players come out on the ice the announce no suspension for Raffi followed by a video from the league showing his greatest hits!

Yeah, no.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
yeah, let's not care one bit for the lives of the people that we get to WATCH play a GAME because it is okay for them to get massive brain damage, Parkinsons, never walk properly again, and commit suicide from chronic traumatic encephalopathy because we need to be entertained.

[Mod]

[Mod] Players have to be more accountable and keep there heads up just as much as the NHL needs to enforce dirty hits.

[Mod]

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
this is all assuming that he didnt whip his head back on his own to embellish.

but i digress. you guys keep drawing your physics equations to determine if this was dirty LOL

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
This is not a criminal trial..is he suspended or not? I find it ironic that the disciplinary board is full ex-nhlers who were dirtbags on the ice. :laugh:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'm hoping that they announce it like some wrestling intro, right before the players come out on the ice the announce no suspension for Raffi followed by a video from the league showing his greatest hits!

Right before he cheapshots Quick during warm ups and we subsequently lose the remaining games because "backupsrhrd."

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
yeah, let's not care one bit for the lives of the people that we get to WATCH play a GAME because it is okay for them to get massive brain damage, Parkinsons, never walk properly again, and commit suicide from chronic traumatic encephalopathy because we need to be entertained.

[Mod]

Of course you need to care about player safety! But you're missing the point.

If the NHL wanted to really protect these players they would take hitting and fighting out of the game entirely! But they don't want to do that.

So they decide to make these slap on the wrist suspensions which have no basis on how long they should be and have double standards depending on the situation.

Since Shannahan has been giving out these suspensions has their really been less head shots? No.

That's because hitting is too programed into how players play the game (from youth) and things move way too fast for them to think, "oh his head is in a vulnerable position, I should pull up."

The only way to change the culture is to either completely ban players who have given headshots (Torres, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Stoll, etc). Or take hitting out of the NHL and also out of youth hockey completely.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
But he did hit the shoulder... and head.

Which is why it's illegal.

You don't get away with cross-checking someone in the back just because you also got a piece of the shoulder. Kneeing someone is not allowed just because another part of your body also makes light contact.

IMO it seems almost impossible to prevent 100% head contact all the time when hitting given the speed the game is played, and often times the player getting hit makes a last second move usually to try and dodge the hit, like Stoll did here.

Joe Pavelski is in his 7th season. No suspensions. As far as I can recall, no head shots. Or at least no illegal checks hard enough to cause head injury. Definitely no suspensions.

Scott Gomez is in his 13th season. No suspensions. As far as I can recall, no head shots. Or at least no illegal checks hard enough to cause head injury.

Douglas Murray. 8th NHL season. As big a hitter as there is. No suspensions. Don't recall anything even close to a suspension. As far as I can recall, no head shots. Or at least no illegal checks hard enough to cause head injury.

Many many many many players seem able to play the game, play the game hard, play the game well, deliver hard hits, play against other players who themselves are trying to change directions to make/avoid hits.....and yet do so without hitting the head from the side and concussing other players......over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Torres neither jumped into the hit or lifted his elbow. He glided into the hit and I don't think he was aiming for the head, but like I said the game is so fast and Stoll making a last second move it is practicably impossible for Torres to adjust his point of contact.

It's not impossible.

Many other players are capable of either delivering that hit cleanly and solidly to the shoulder and the shoulder alone. Many other players would back off and support defensively while leaving the responsibility for Stoll to Irwin who was closer and about to cut off the lane. Many other players would at least make an attempt to go after the puck rather than just the hit.

Matt Irwin was closer to Stoll than Torres. Matt Irwin was about to cut Stoll off. Matt Irwin came in at roughly the same angle (albeit from the other side) that Torres came in from.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that had Torres not hit Stoll on that play, whatever contact Irwin would have leveled on Stoll would not have involved a concussion-inducing head shot.

There were 4 other Sharks players on the ice at the exact same time, there were two other shoulder checks delivered by Sharks players on the exact same sequence.....and yet somehow Raffi Torres is the only person for whom a clean hit is impossible on that sheet of ice.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles

You don't get away with cross-checking someone in the back just because you also got a piece of the shoulder. Kneeing someone is not allowed just because another part of your body also makes light contact.

...But you do get away with tripping if you hit the puck first...

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
That's assuming that the hit is at an exact angle, otherwise your incorrect about the twisting of the head and when your talking mailable bodies instead of steal it also takes away from your argument.

Which is why I pointed to the Desjardins hit on Mayers because it is a more comparable example of what happens on an actual shoulder hit where there is no head contact.

KT

Oct 5, 2009
Right, no mention of concussion. That could be neck, headache, nosebleed, whatever. A concussion is a very specific injury, and nobody involved has used that term to date.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Right, no mention of concussion. That could be neck, headache, nosebleed, whatever. A concussion is a very specific injury, and nobody involved has used that term to date.

Not that it matters. Concussions can occur without a hit to the head.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012

Similar to what Raffi did. Stoll put himself in a vulnerable position before he got hit. Raffi was going for a shoulder to shoulder hit and Stoll moved.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA

Wow. That's an incredibly desperate stretch.

Hockey players don't miss entire playoff games from nosebleeds. They don't even miss shifts from nosebleeds.

But I will concede that based on that report, you are technically correct. It may not technically be a concussion. Most of the evidence points to that, but it is not conclusive.

It could technically be just a broken jaw

.........caused by Torres' shoulder coming into direct contact with Stoll's head.

PlaywithGutz*

Similar to what Raffi did. Stoll put himself in a vulnerable position before he got hit. Raffi was going for a shoulder to shoulder hit and Stoll moved.

that was even a worse hit than Torres....my guess is he gets a game b/c there is no way he makes it back in time and this was setup by the NHL b/c they knew it was a clean hit...this way the NHL saves face

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

Joe Pavelski is in his 7th season. No suspensions. As far as I can recall, no head shots. Or at least no illegal checks hard enough to cause head injury. Definitely no suspensions.

Scott Gomez is in his 13th season. No suspensions. As far as I can recall, no head shots. Or at least no illegal checks hard enough to cause head injury.

Douglas Murray. 8th NHL season. As big a hitter as there is. No suspensions. Don't recall anything even close to a suspension. As far as I can recall, no head shots. Or at least no illegal checks hard enough to cause head injury.

Many many many many players seem able to play the game, play the game hard, play the game well, deliver hard hits, play against other players who themselves are trying to change directions to make/avoid hits.....and yet do so without hitting the head from the side and concussing other players......over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

It's not impossible.

Many other players are capable of either delivering that hit cleanly and solidly to the shoulder and the shoulder alone. Many other players would back off and support defensively while leaving the responsibility for Stoll to Irwin who was closer and about to cut off the lane. Many other players would at least make an attempt to go after the puck rather than just the hit.

Matt Irwin was closer to Stoll than Torres. Matt Irwin was about to cut Stoll off. Matt Irwin came in at roughly the same angle (albeit from the other side) that Torres came in from.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that had Torres not hit Stoll on that play, whatever contact Irwin would have leveled on Stoll would not have involved a concussion-inducing head shot.

There were 4 other Sharks players on the ice at the exact same time, there were two other shoulder checks delivered by Sharks players on the exact same sequence.....and yet somehow Raffi Torres is the only person for whom a clean hit is impossible on that sheet of ice.

Playoffs - YOU FINISH YOUR CHECK. PERIOD. He didn't charge him or elbow him, you aren't always going to walk away injury free from a hit. Not even worth a minor penalty for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad