TV: HBO's The Night Of

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Wait what? Chandra? I think you got this all mixed up :laugh:

Wait what?

The scene I'm referencing has nothing to do with anything related to the resolution of the story, just bugged me (though, if the goal was to get a retrial...).

But it sounds like you missed it completely...

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I like how they go with the recording of Chandra kissing Nas and ignore the one of her pulling drugs out of her snatch.

That ending almost makes me feel cheated out of the 9 hours I devoted to watching it.

Well I thought at 1st maybe Nas didn't share the drugs with Freddy and it was going to get him killed. Then we figure out there was the kissing scene. Of course they ignored the other one because the guards are on Freddy's payroll.

Either way that entire thing with Chandra seemed like a stretch to me. Maybe if they built up the relationship more but they didn't and it just didn't flow right.

Wait what? Chandra? I think you got this all mixed up :laugh:

No she did it as well.

The series overall was average liked they didn't know what the hell to do after the pilot. The pilot was some of the best t.v. I've seen ever.

The judge was really great. Based on the information presented in court I'm actually shocked he was not convicted. He totally bombed on the stand. The leave us with all these possible suspects but no real answers.

Nas ends up harder and a possible drug addict. Strange how Freddy did not say goodbye. Oh well.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well I thought at 1st maybe Nas didn't share the drugs with Freddy and it was going to get him killed. Then we figure out there was the kissing scene. Of course they ignored the other one because the guards are on Freddy's payroll.

Not sure what you mean. The implication was that Box leaked the footage of Nas and Chandra to force a retrial because the prosecutor refused to follow up on the financial advisor lead. The guards on Freddy's payroll don't really factor into it.

Least that was my takeaway.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not sure what you mean. The implication was that Box leaked the footage of Nas and Chandra to force a retrial because the prosecutor refused to follow up on the financial advisor lead. The guards on Freddy's payroll don't really factor into it.

Least that was my takeaway.

Did Box send it or Freddy? We last saw Freddy with the same DVD. We don't see what he's watching. We never see Box with it but it's possible but why would Box send it to the prison as well. My point is if it was Freddy than the drugs would be overlooked. Box? I'm not sure. Stone assumed it was Box...

I can see Freddy's guards having it as it's at the prison. If Box really wanted to help he would have shared all his info.

You could be right but I'm not sure either way.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I was concerned they could wrap it up in 1 EP, but I liked it. Was waiting for [spoil]the cat[/spoil], wasn't disappointed.

Very happy with the ending. Not everything needs an answer, but we got the ones I needed.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yes we got the answer to "Is this a good tv show?"

[spoil]no.[/spoil]

[spoil]I disagree.[/spoil]

First episode put a lot of expectations on the show. It wasn't as good as the first episode but it was solid programming and I would watch it again. Not sure any ending they made would have been "okay".

I will say Box discovering the financial adviser was a bit "Deus ex Machina" but oh well. At least they indicated Box had his doubts from the get-go.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I will say Box discovering the financial adviser was a bit "Deus ex Machina" but oh well.

Why was it "dues ex machina"? Convicting Nas never felt right to Box, so he investigated the crime further and found important security cam footage.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I loved it. A bit topsy turvy of a program but still better than the vast majority of stuff on TV. Love John Turturro and Riz Ahmed was amazing in this.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Overall it was def worth the watch.

Turturros closing comments were really well done IMO.

also liked the last effects on Naz based on Box not doing his job correctly. He essentially made him a crackhead and turned him into something completely different than when he went in.

Cat scene end was perfect to close the series.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I would've liked if it really was Naz and that he would get a flashback once released. Neck tattoo was a bad choice though for any future endeavors. So is crack addiction.

Chalky White's unicorn pitch is still a bit unrealistic but gives me hope if I ever end up in prison. :sarcasm:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Good mini-series. So many people making so many bad decisions, but at least he got the cat back.

Second series/season going after the other guy? Probably not and probably for the best, but the detective was interesting. I'd watch it.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I'm glad the cat was saved.. but other than that? Very big "meh". The pilot was 10/10 but the rest was 5-6/10.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I'm also kind of disappointed after it started off so well. Still think it was worth my time, but I would have preferred a different ending. Just not sure what. Maybe cut out the financial advisor guy and after Naz is free, he's just sitting there smoking heroin and he starts to think about how he killed her.

Chandra is a ****ing tool and I can't believe that **** actually happened.

They still never brought up where all the blood was on Naz. Guess we're just supposed to assume they assumed he took a shower after or something.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I'm also kind of disappointed after it started off so well. Still think it was worth my time, but I would have preferred a different ending. Just not sure what. Maybe cut out the financial advisor guy and after Naz is free, he's just sitting there smoking heroin and he starts to think about how he killed her..

Given the build-up, that would be stupid.

Loved the final until the jury told they got a deadlock. From then on I still liked it in a way, but it just was too much happy ending if you ask me - even if they made clear that Rikers changed Naz and made him a crackhead. Not to mention how his reputation among their Pakistani community suffered.

Especially loved Stone's closing arguments and how the judge reacted to the attempt of forcing a mistrial.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm glad the cat was saved.. but other than that? Very big "meh". The pilot was 10/10 but the rest was 5-6/10.

The cat was saved because Nas was saved. They were parallels of sorts.

Overall, this was totally average. Eight episodes to teach us that ending up in Rikers will **** up your life; and that just because Nas was found not guilty doesn't mean he won't be affected forever.

When the DA is questioning Nas and at the end of her shtick, he's not even sure what he is anymore. Not even sure if he didn't commit the crime anymore.

Stone's closing argument was probably one of the best thing this series did, that, and Box leaving during the DA's. That was super ****ing cold-calculated on his part.

But yeah, average at best, IMO.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
It's most definitely not perfect. But it had more than enough pretty good elements in the series that made it much better than average, imo.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
In a summer of tv that sucks, that was actually pretty decent. Really like John Turtoro's character.

As far as the outocme, I Pretty much knew that guy was up to no good the moment he appeared on screen. Did not trust him one bit.

Is there definitely a second season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad