TV: HBO's The Night Of

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I remember Box telling him about semen on the bed, and also pings from his cellphone.

Box said that, but I wasn't sure if that was true or a bluff. At that point he was trying to get a confession and he new that they were dating because he had the picture of them vacationing together.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Box said that, but I wasn't sure if that was true or a bluff. At that point he was trying to get a confession and he new that they were dating because he had the picture of them vacationing together.

Bluff or not, it rattled him I thought. Like a non-verbal confirmation that they were not only dating but that Box could place him there through bodily fluids aside from the photo. Plus the phone calls and the pings of his phone and photos corroborated his whereabouts near Andrea's, when Box caught him lying about being at home.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
He had motive just as the step father did. He committed a criminal act for sure but they didn't have anything concrete to tie him to the scene.
Well if they had a relationship it made sense. That is much less than they had on Nas. The show left you thinking this is the guy but never gave you a definitive answer.

It's true, there's not a concrete piece of slamdunk evidence. Up to the DA and Box now to pursue the evidence they do have and gather more.

Point was that there were was a solid second lead that ought to have been followed up, instead of only focusing on Nas.

Speaking of 'left you thinking', it's possible Nas was criminally responsible for Andrea's death. After all, his answer to whether he killed her or not was "I don't know", in the meaning that I took, pertaining to whether she had a pulse when he discovered her, and his lack of phoning an ambulance and running away instead.

That was a cool scene between him and the DA. Liked the way Nas slowly realized that he could still have been responsible for her death.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I felt like the 6-6 jury split was a bit unrealistic... in the real world, it'd probably be 10-2 or something.

Shouldn't have Naz still had some jail time for the other 7 crimes he committed? Like DUI at least lol?

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I felt like the 6-6 jury split was a bit unrealistic... in the real world, it'd probably be 10-2 or something.

Shouldn't have Naz still had some jail time for the other 7 crimes he committed? Like DUI at least lol?

I think his time in prison probably equaled out the other crimes, since he wasn't up for conviction on those crimes, just the murder charge.

You are probably right on that a jury splitting the votes 6-6 is probably unrealistic, but in the end what proof did the prosecutor have that was valid and not an assumption?

Going forward in the series I can see Naz now being corrupted landing himself back in the joint. Otherwise the story continues on without Naz which doesn't to me make much sense after spending the first season on his case tv wise.

Last edited:

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
For what, not following up on a lead with less evidence than the one she was prosecuting. For everything Box did, there was no smoking gun. Nothing to tie the accountant to the scene of the crime yet, just motive.

The step father had motive as well.

They had video of him outside her apartment at 3 am, after fighting with her earlier in the evening, and records of him withdrawing $300k from her account.

Either way, it's evidence. The other people the prosecution could plead ignorance, but here she willfully withheld evidence that could help Nasir's case which is grounds for criminal charges.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
so far this show has not been renewed to another season.

initially it was to be made as a 8 part tv event.

i'd think if they do have a season 2 it will become and anthology type show.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I think his time in prison probably equaled out the other crimes, since he wasn't up for conviction on those crimes, just the murder charge.

You are probably right on that a jury splitting the votes 6-6 is probably unrealistic, but in the end what proof did the prosecutor have that was valid and not an assumption?

Yeah fair enough.

As for the second point, I don't know much about law (only bird law) but what kind of proof would they need? A camera that shows him stabbing her? I'm genuinely curious.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
What build up

That of the exposed justice system, including all the stuff that Naz had to go through before being free again.
If you wanted to shock the audience by finally resolving that he did it, there would have been much better ways to tell the story.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

Jury splits happen all the time. Deadlocked jury's even with high profile cases come to deadlock frequently.

Also, Nas wasn't tried by the DA for those other crimes. The police did forward those charges, but the DA went with the one that she thought she'd have a slamdunk with, and not worry about the smaller charges.

Going forward in the series I can see Naz now being corrupted landing himself back in the joint. Otherwise the story continues on without Naz which doesn't to me make much sense after spending the first season on his case tv wise.

He wasn't tried for the other ones. Charged yes. Tried no. See my above post.

so far this show has not been renewed to another season.

initially it was to be made as a 8 part tv event.

i'd think if they do have a season 2 it will become and anthology type show.

It's not a series, so it doesn't have the renewal situation about it. It was a one season and done thing.

Anthology is possible and probable though.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I think you are overthinking the medicinal benefits of the cat. :laugh:

He had the major outbreak because he started taking a ton of the medicine given by the herbalist, coupled with the immense stress due to having to actually write a closing statement for a case out of his league. It wasn't because he gave the cat away.

It's not that deep. He got the cat and the fake medicine at about the same time. He attributed his condition clearing up to the fake medicine. He got rid of the cat, the condition flared up, the doctor threw out the fake medicine and not only did we see he got the cat back, but he allowed it outside of the room.

There's no reason IMO for the writer to write it like that if he/she wasn't trying to say something. I'm gonna stick with my version. :)

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Loved the show. Everyone's a critic apparently. Box obviously had his doubts Half way through the season. Nas leaving prison was tense as hell, thought he was somehow going to get off'd.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Great show, I really enjoyed it - but why did they spend so much time on Stone's feet and skin??

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I enjoyed the series overall. It had it's high moments and low moments.

My biggest issue was Chandra. I found it hard to believe she would first kiss Nas like that and then smuggle in drugs? Unlikely IMO.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Without her, Weiss won't have ripped Naz apart (great scene).
Without her, the judge won't have stressed that he isn't going to fall for a mistrial attempt.
Without her, Stone won't have made a comeback like that.

And that's just the final I'm talking about. Admittedly, her arc was the most flawed. Her presence triggered some pretty good scenes of the series though.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I enjoyed the series overall. It had it's high moments and low moments.

My biggest issue was Chandra. I found it hard to believe she would first kiss Nas like that and then smuggle in drugs? Unlikely IMO.

Re: The drugs. She knew this was a big-time case. One that could put her career on the map. She also obviously had feelings for Nas; and thought that putting him on the stand could be the difference between guilty and not-guilty. I don't think it's so out of the question a young, ambitious lawyer might go to those lengths.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I felt like I watched a 10 hour episode of law and order.

That finale didn't do much for me in terms of satisfaction.

Should we feel bad for Naz? Has the victim received the justice she deserved?

I think the show did a good job exposing many pitfalls of the criminal justice system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad