TV: HBO's The Night Of

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I think the show did a good job exposing many pitfalls of the criminal justice system.

And that's what it was supposed to do, according to my understanding of the series. So what should the final have been like instead in order to satisfy you?
And by saying final, I'm not just talking about the deadlock of the jury + Naz' not getting convicted.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Stone's closing arguments were phenomenal.

I thought it did a good job of showing how even though Nas was innocent, the system and being accused of a crime like this ruined his life.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Great show, I really enjoyed it - but why did they spend so much time on Stone's feet and skin??

It made Stone a sympathetic figure and it ultimately paid off with him having to do the biggest thing in his career in gloves looking like crap. And then when it was all over, he returned to his normal life, itching his feet, drawing disgusted looks from strangers.

I'm sure you can argue that they could have conveyed the same message in less time, but I think it was actually pretty effective.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I enjoyed the series overall. It had it's high moments and low moments.

My biggest issue was Chandra. I found it hard to believe she would first kiss Nas like that and then smuggle in drugs? Unlikely IMO.

I agree with all of this. Chandra played an important role in the show in terms of the plot obviously. The problem is nothing from the way her character was portrayed and developed would lead you to think that she would have kissed Nas or certainly smuggled in the drugs. By far the weakest part of the show. It lead me to be slightly disappointed in the ending. But all in all it was a strong show with a few weak spots.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The ending was just so........... vanilla, IMO. Stone's closing argument was really the only great aspect of it for me, the rest was a disappointment. I just wanted more, and no in the sense because of how great it was, but because of how much they just seemed to left out.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
And that's what it was supposed to do, according to my understanding of the series. So what should the final have been like instead in order to satisfy you?
And by saying final, I'm not just talking about the deadlock of the jury + Naz' not getting convicted.

I guess I just expected more. I mean, exploring the "pitfalls of the criminal justice system" is hardly breaking new ground. I was hoping the series would either make the story compelling beyond that or at least frame the issue in a new way.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Yeah, most certainly not the first production to "explore" that. Guess the way how they did it was something new though. Especially in regard to Naz' background. Personally, I'd have wished for another outcome, but taking much out from it anyway.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Pretty good ending to a great show. It wasn't meant to "satisfying" eneding and it didn't, but it wrapped the series up fairly nicely.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't really understand the ending with Freddy; what the show was trying to accomplish there. Didn't like that part.

Freddy is out for his own interests. He helps people and people help him. Nas was no more help to him. A good example of this was Nas setting up a potential cash cow for Freddy in the last episode (the guy who was married) and in return Freddy tried to get a mistrial for Nas. I think the point was that there really is no "friends" in prison, just people who look out for their own interests.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Best part of the episode was when we saw the cat at the end :)

What was the point of showing his son those few times during the season?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
To underline his solitude + standing. I mean, not like he seemed proud or anything like that. To the contrary, in the latest scene featuring him,
his son even acted as if he didn't know him. Not to mention the ignored attempts by Stone to hang out together.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Kind of interesting from IMDB. I'm not familiar with Rikers but how open it was seemed strange,

Just about everything related to inmate security in Rikers Island and court holding cells is wrong. As an accused murderer, Khan would only be out of handcuffs while in a jail cell, he would not be mixed in with inmates charged with lesser crimes, he would absolutely not be led in to a "family funday" visitation meeting with other inmates and their families; he would not be uncuffed during arraignment.

I was starting to believe Nas preferred it there. For the 1st time in his life he was the guy, position of power. It was basically a country club atmosphere for him.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Yeah but he still had to stuff drugs up his ass. Not sure how much of a boss you feel when you have to do that.

But I would be curious to find an article somewhere by an ex-inmate or prison guard dissecting the realism of the portrayal of Rikers.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I really enjoyed the ending. You have Nas, who's not at all what you thought he was at the beginning, and three or four other perfect suspects. Maybe there won't be second season but I'd be primed for it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Anyone else find the character progression of Naz in prison super clunky?

Surely there was a way to show how damaging being in prison could be outside of him progressing from clean cut college kid to shaved head, tattooed, drug mule, murderer in what... a matter of months?

I was satisfied with how it all wrapped up, but I thought they could have gotten there in a much less "smash you over the head with it" manner.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

Surely there was a way to show how damaging being in prison could be outside of him progressing from clean cut college kid to shaved head, tattooed, drug mule, murderer in what... a matter of months?

Who did he kill?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

I was satisfied with how it all wrapped up, but I thought they could have gotten there in a much less "smash you over the head with it" manner.

I do agree. I think the whole prison thing could have been done much better. It seemed rushed most of the time while other parts of the show were drawn out.

How about less about the lawyers feet and more about the jail?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad