HBO Parts 1 & 2 Discussion - *SPOILERS* All 24/7 Talk Here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The toast incident was pretty funny. And also Lupul was MAD at Voynov. Interesting start though as both teams lost both games that were featured. Will be interesting to see what happens with both the Blues game and the Hawks game in next weeks episode, esp. with the Leafs getting another suspension.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Hopefully that is the last time I have to watch the Boston collapse in the payoffs.

leafstilldeath*

my-toast-damn.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Whoever thinks Carlyle is a bad coach will change their perspective watching this HBO special, his speech after the LA lost was great, he didn't knock the team down but built them up. "I know its tough" he can say and mean this from the heart because he played 10+ years in the league resonates to the players on the team.

You also want to root for every Leaf in the room watching how hard they take this game to the heart. From Clarkson to Lupul to Nazem to Dion. Fans pick favourites and whipping boys on the Leafs, this HBO special brings human side to these guys. Hard not to want to root harder for all the players even for players that are not favourites, this is what I got from the special.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Boring + Carlyle trying a bit too hard to be humorous.

Hoping for an improved part two.

shibbiness

Feb 7, 2010
GTA
When and how will I be able to watch the uncensored episode, while living in Toronto?

There is a youtube link a couple posts above yours. AFAIK if you have HBO On demand it may come up today, otherwise the only version on Canadian cable will be Sportsnet's censored version.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Great episode. Really really well done, in my opinion. Shame we lost both games but at least we get to see Chicago get a beating next episode?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yeah im really hoping they show the Chicago win, that'd be great. I mean McLaren was walking around with one of their cameras so that should mean they'll have it in there.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I found Carlyle hilarious...

"my toast is stuck.... MAINTENANCE MY TOAST!"
guy walks up "what did you do"
"I unplugged it"
guy reaches in.... Carlyle shocks him and turns to the camera and laughs.

Also, never knew the GM and assistant GM were apart of the phone hearings for suspensions, wonder how much the player actually talks

this is something that shocked me too

carlyle is great coach, this team is a playoff team (we just beat the cup champs 7-3) i hope everyone looks back on this game and doesn't post anymore stupid ****... Good team that was in a funk, not because they are **** but because everyteam fluctuates.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
this is something that shocked me too

carlyle is great coach, this team is a playoff team (we just beat the cup champs 7-3) i hope everyone looks back on this game and doesn't post anymore stupid ****... Good team that was in a funk, not because they are **** but because everyteam fluctuates.

Good teams aren't in a funk for 30 games.

We were playing bad and until they start playing more like this, the outlook on this season isn't any better.

We need to play more like we did tonight.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Agreed with Pi. 1 good game doesn't negate many bad ones. We need more consistency more often. It makes for better television. ;)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yeah one win doesnt make this team "good" and Carlyle a "great coach" all of a sudden. If they can keep this play up then sure, but im not betting on anything. This team can easily go back to their old ways.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The toast incident was pretty funny. And also Lupul was MAD at Voynov. Interesting start though as both teams lost both games that were featured. Will be interesting to see what happens with both the Blues game and the Hawks game in next weeks episode, esp. with the Leafs getting another suspension.

Not sure about the Dallas game but the cameras didn't travel to Ottawa for their game against the Sens so that's one win we wouldn't have seen regardless.

There's a storyline already written there and they're just taking advantage of it. Both teams have the same storyline because their season is pretty similar right now. Both teams are struggling with their play but finding ways to get points when they really need it in order to keep pace with a playoff spot. Showcasing both teams and their losses in the first episode sets the tone to see if they'll triumph or continue to falter.

I thought Carlyle came across very personable though and while he's brutally honest, he probably has to pick his spots when addressing his team through a funk. When the team is winning and it's just a few players that aren't performing, it's easier to be brutally honest in that regard but when it's the entire team, it doesn't seem to be in his best interest to trash the entire team every time he talks to them (even though they would deserve it). Got a good laugh at his toast getting stuck and him asking if the guys were pulling a fast one on him, haha.

I hope the next episodes will follow other players. This episode was very Phaneuf/Lupul centric but I'd like to see a lot of other guys get equal coverage (Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Bernier, Reimer).

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Also, I don't know if it was just me, but the music selection was really great for the segments.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I thought it was terrible boring compared to previous 24/7s. There's no good storylines to be had, no characters so far. Pens/Caps had Boudreau and the Pens winning streak vs the Caps losing streak. NYR/PHI had Torteralla and Bryzgalov. We get... Alfredsson's fathering skills and Phaneuf's closet.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I noticed Datsyuk always looks happy and smiling. I didn't think I could love this man more.

I'd be happy and smiling all the time too if I was one of the most dynamic hockey players in the world. :naughty:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I thought it was terrible boring compared to previous 24/7s. There's no good storylines to be had, no characters so far. Pens/Caps had Boudreau and the Pens winning streak vs the Caps losing streak. NYR/PHI had Torteralla and Bryzgalov. We get... Alfredsson's fathering skills and Phaneuf's closet.

How's it any different than Girardi's fathering skills and Couturier playing video games with Briere's kids? Besides, those things you mentioned didn't happen in every episode, it was spread out.

I think some people have too high of expectations. I actually like all the family stuff but apparently some are really turned off by it. You still get the same inside look during actual games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad