Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign John Hayden

zac

Apr 29, 2009

Putting Schmaltz on the 3rd line, with his speed and playmaking ability, is extremely stupid. He's a 60+ point player if he stays in the top 6 with tremendous defense.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Hayden has been terrific along the boards the last few games. He's also a ****ing brick, almost impossible to knock down.

There was one play in which he was entering the offense zone and a Canuck player attempted to body him up to slow him down. Hayden just leaned in and the dude flopped, with Hayden not even exhibiting a wobble. Impressive.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Putting Schmaltz on the 3rd line, with his speed and playmaking ability, is extremely stupid. He's a 60+ point player if he stays in the top 6 with tremendous defense.

What are you even talking about? If you are going to call me stupid at least read the post I quoted because not you look rather foolish considering we were talking about playmaking ability and how saying Schmaltz is not on the same level as Debrincat is exaggerated considering the fact that Schmaltz is already doing it at the NHL level.

To simplify: I was agreeing that Schmaltz is a top flight prospect who is already performing in the NHL and saying he does not have the skill of an OHL player is asinine.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
kfNs-T.gif

Hayden was me all along.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Is putting Kessel on the 3rd line extremely stupid as well? Pens won a Cup with him there.

Putting Schmaltz on the 3rd line brings a lot of balance to our lineup.

Hayden Toews Panik
Party
Hartman Schmaltz Hossa

That is just sick.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Is putting Kessel on the 3rd line extremely stupid as well? Pens won a Cup with him there.

Hayden Toews Panik
Party
Hartman Schmaltz Hossa

That is just sick.

I don't usually comment on line posts, but have to say - DAMN!! That does look like fun.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
With Hayden's great release it is easy to see why he scored so often in College.

His fired it off quick on his first goal over the weekend, too. That kick-to-tape play isn't an ordinary play. That's a skill play, especially coming from a guy his size.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been able to watch the games live, but from the highlights and the periods I have seen, Hayden looks rather impressive and a good fit on the first line. Very impressive for someone playing his first NHL games. Between him, Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Panik and Hartman the Hawks have found some very promising players that should be able to fill the holes left by Hossa (who's still a great player himself) and Saad in the top 6 and add some nice depth to the bottom 6.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I'm just going to say it. The Hawks are lucky as **** that the players they banked on are real players it seems. Hartman tracked the same as McNeill, Schmaltz tracked like Pirri, I mean hell Morin was traded straight up for Panik. Hayden, another Jimmy Hayes. All very comparable. All went the wrong way before and the right way this time at the exact right moment in time.

That's either genius scouting and player recognition or luck or both. I'm enjoying it though.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010

Hayden Toews Panik
Party
Hartman Schmaltz Hossa

That is just sick.

This. Is. Indeed. Sick. I love that lineup.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yeah if Hayden keeps playing like this that's HUGE for the Hawks cause we can slide Schmaltz down and fill the hole at 3c. Roster is really starting to come together.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm just going to say it. The Hawks are lucky as **** that the players they banked on are real players it seems. Hartman tracked the same as McNeill, Schmaltz tracked like Pirri, I mean hell Morin was traded straight up for Panik. Hayden, another Jimmy Hayes. All very comparable. All went the wrong way before and the right way this time at the exact right moment in time.

That's either genius scouting and player recognition or luck or both. I'm enjoying it though.

I don't really see how any of those players were "tracking" like the others, remotely. Not to mention they are all completely different players from one another for the most part.

There's always an element of luck to players turning out because it's not an exact science and there are misses, but you don't hit on as many players as they have the last few years by strictly luck. They scout and self-scout very well. It isn't an accident.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Felt terrible for the guy when that goal was disallowed.

I can't stand the offside review. Even when we get screwed by it. If it's close enough that the linesman didn't catch it then it wouldn't have made a difference on the play.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Hayden has been terrific along the boards the last few games. He's also a ****ing brick, almost impossible to knock down.

There was one play in which he was entering the offense zone and a Canuck player attempted to body him up to slow him down. Hayden just leaned in and the dude flopped, with Hayden not even exhibiting a wobble. Impressive.

That was Edler he flattened. Not exactly a pushover.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
It's not like having Schmaltz play with Hossa and Hartman is putting him between a couple of plugs... Those guys are good - I hear one of them is going to the Hall of Fame in fact

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
He models himself after Toews ...
He is playing with Toews ...
What if we have a Toews light so to speak?
Even though he plays heavier!

sugoi88

Feb 28, 2016
He's certainly seemed to have revived Toews once again. First it was Schmaltz now Hayden...and Panik coming into his own. Either way, if Hayden doesn't work (which I'd be very surprised at) move Schmaltz back there. The future is bright for the Toews line!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hayden is literally a nifty moose. Great hands / intangibles. Almost want to say ... kind of captain like charisma / IQ.

Hayden's going to have to improve his skating a bit (speed). If he does, the upside is immense.

It's nice to have a big moose protecting / feeding off our little guys again. It's funny when Hayden hits people. It's measured and slow ... but receivee goes down like a ton of bricks nonetheless.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't really see how any of those players were "tracking" like the others, remotely. Not to mention they are all completely different players from one another for the most part.

There's always an element of luck to players turning out because it's not an exact science and there are misses, but you don't hit on as many players as they have the last few years by strictly luck. They scout and self-scout very well. It isn't an accident.

At one point in time all of those players looked like above average prospects. Along with Clendening and Johns. They all produced just as well as Hartman in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad