Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign John Hayden

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Toews likes to play with good power forwards (Buff & Good Bickell). I love Hartman but I don't know if his skillsets mesh well with Toews AND Panik. Toews and Panik have good chemistry and might make good use of a moose with good hands in the middle / corners.

I agree with bolded. I mean, Hartman can play a pretty physical game. When I watch him I think of a mini Sharp who had a decent stint playing alongside Toews.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah bring me a bottom six of Jurco-Kruger-Hossa and then an energy line of Hayden-Kero-Hartman

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What does Hartman gotta do to get some consistent top 6 minutes and PP time? He's probably going to put up 20 goals this year and hasn't gotten much of an extended look.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Hayden got two assists tonight. PPG player, and a hell of a physical one at that.

Hinostroza isn't even playing NHL games right now. IDK why he would be in the playoff lineup come game 1. Why would he play over Jurco whose game has been trending up?

Because that's what I want to see. And considering how Q talked when Hino was sent down (and how much he 'loves' Jurco), I could honestly see him go with Hinostroza.

If you can bring back the 'kid line', a line that is good with possession and has plenty of speed, I don't see why you wouldn't put them back together.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
After these 3 games he's reminding me a tiny bit of Saad, somewhat slower of course but very effective and a little more physical.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
I have a feeling we might see hayden - toews - kane in the playoffs this year with hayden in the bickell/saad spacemaking/energetic power forward role. And then panarin-anisimov-hossa, hartman-kruger-jurco, x-schmaltz-panik

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
One thing is for certain, he keeps this up and he'll play somewhere in the playoff lineup.

Can't say it'll be top 6 or bottom 6, but he's been clearly better for us than Desi, Tootoo, Jurco, and Rasmussen.

The only game Tootoo has had as good as either of these past two games for Hayden was the game against the Preds a week or so ago. Rasmussen might've had as good a game early in the season, but definetly not in the past couple months. Desi has been mediocre to average every single game he's played this year, and Jurco below average.

The fact that Hayden (with 3 games now under his belt) has been outplaying these guys is borderline amazing.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Its quite simple for me....

Keep Hayden with Toews and Panik. Its the perfect fit. Don't break that line up until their level of play drops(and there will be plenty of other options of that happens).

That gives you Panarin, Anisimov, Kane, Hossa, Schmaltz, and Hartman as 6 legit options to build a dangerous 2nd scoring line AND an equally dangerous 3rd scoring line.

Kruger anchors the shutdown 4th line with some mix of Kero/Jurco/Desjardins/Tootoo/Hinostroza/Rasmussen playing LW and RW.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The question is what to do when Anisimov returns to the lineup. Do you insert him back where he was between Panarin and Kane or leave Schmaltz there and put Anisimov somewhere else. I think an important factor in making that decision is how the current lineup plays over the next 10 games. If 40-19-14 and 72-8-88 are playing well, then I'll bet Q leaves the top- alone and plugs AA in at 3C. But if the top-6 have cooled off then I'll bet Q shakes it up and reunites 72-15-88. If that happens then maybe Schmaltz centers the 3rd line?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like the way he Plays and it Looks like he has an easy time to adopt to the NHL.

His Goal against Toronto was a beauty

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Towes line needs a net front presence and Hayden, so far, seems to make his living there. He is like a unicorn for Q.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The question is what to do when Anisimov returns to the lineup. Do you insert him back where he was between Panarin and Kane or leave Schmaltz there and put Anisimov somewhere else. I think an important factor in making that decision is how the current lineup plays over the next 10 games. If 40-19-14 and 72-8-88 are playing well, then I'll bet Q leaves the top- alone and plugs AA in at 3C. But if the top-6 have cooled off then I'll bet Q shakes it up and reunites 72-15-88. If that happens then maybe Schmaltz centers the 3rd line?

Over the last 10 games, the Panarin-Schmaltz-Kane combo has put up 7 goals, and had 3 against. Nearly 50% Corsi.

The PAK line (much larger sample) had 33GF, 23GA, and a ~53% Corsi.

But looking at the way the lines shake out with Anisimov on the third line, I think we're looking at a damn good four line rotation; and I think that second and third line are much better than 2015:

Hayden-Toews-Panik <<< Saad-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Schmaltz-Kane >>> Versteeg-Richard-Kane
Hartman-Anisimov-Hossa >> Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen
Desjardins-Kruger-Jurco < Desjardins-Kruger-Shaw

Last edited:

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
It's a super small sample size... but I like Hayden on the first line with Towes and Panik. It just seems to fit/mesh very well.

Personally I think you put Anisimov back with Panarin and Kane since I think that makes the line better defensively and on faceoffs. Schmaltz can then move to the 3rd line making them much more dangerous (and he'll be playing with Hossa, [Edit: and Harman} so it's not like he won't have some talent with him).

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
It's a super small sample size... but I like Hayden on the first line with Towes and Panik. It just seems to fit/mesh very well.

Personally I think you put Anisimov back with Panarin and Kane since I think that makes the line better defensively and on faceoffs. Schmaltz can then move to the 3rd line making them much more dangerous (and he'll be playing with Hossa, so it's not like he won't have some talent with him).

I'm kind of leaning that way too. Course, it all depends on (1) Anisimov coming back at 100%, and (2) Hayden continuing to play well enough to stay on the 1st line.

Hayden-Toews-Panik
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Schmaltz-Hossa
Kero-Kruger-Jurco

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
At the very least, I think Hayden is going to be around for more than a cup of coffee enroute to being a black ace. He's fitting in and doing some things.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
At the very least, I think Hayden is going to be around for more than a cup of coffee enroute to being a black ace. He's fitting in and doing some things.

Yeah - even if he falls off he's pretty obviously better than several useless 4th liners we are currently playing

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I'm kind of leaning that way too. Course, it all depends on (1) Anisimov coming back at 100%, and (2) Hayden continuing to play well enough to stay on the 1st line.

Hayden-Toews-Panik
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Schmaltz-Hossa
Kero-Kruger-Jurco

I really like this line up ... three lines that can score.
Schmaltz and Anisimov can switch depending ...

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010

Hayden-Toews-Panik
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Schmaltz-Hossa
Kero-Kruger-Jurco

Hayden-Toews-Panik
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Schmaltz-Hossa
Desi (or anyone)-16-Ras

That 3rd line is just epic bum slayer. 8 is managing against tougher matchups, this will help Hossa AND him. That is my vote for 3rd line. I hope they can get a few games in before PO.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yeah - even if he falls off he's pretty obviously better than several useless 4th liners we are currently playing

Debatable. Hayden hasn't played bottom 6 yet on this team and most rookies cannot step in and fill that role better than more experienced players.

If at any time Q is contemplating playing the kid in a different role in the PO's then I think we need to see him in that role to wind down the season.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
I really like this line up ... three lines that can score.
Schmaltz and Anisimov can switch depending ...

Yeah, assuming Hayden continues to play reasonably well I really like that lineup as well.

Hayden is listed as a center... I wonder how he'd do centering Hartman and Hossa on the 3rd line?

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
Debatable. Hayden hasn't played bottom 6 yet on this team and most rookies cannot step in and fill that role better than more experienced players.

If at any time Q is contemplating playing the kid in a different role in the PO's then I think we need to see him in that role to wind down the season.

Well I freely admit it's SUPER early for Hayden and you are probably right that I'm jumping the gun. If he's still playing this well by the end of the season that will be at least somewhat more telling.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Q seems to love the kid. Now, that's not to say he wouldn't still be on a short leash, but you can definitely tell Q loves his physical play. I think for Q he sees the offensive production as a direct reflection of the physical play and going to the greasy areas, which I am actually on board with.

Panik's goal last night was a direct reflection of Hayden throwing his weight around in front of the net. Got a body on his man and just tapped the puck back for the shot. Panik barely had to look where he was shooting. It was on a tee thanks to Hayden's hard work.

So far, and I emphasize so far, Hayden has been exactly what Q is looking for out of a newbie - north/south, forecheck, backcheck and physical. Aside from failing to get the puck out of his zone once or twice, he's be fundamental and consistent. And consistent is a word so often used by Q. He wants to know what he's getting night in, night out. He'll live on that first line if he continues his mentality and play on his current pace.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Yeah, assuming Hayden continues to play reasonably well I really like that lineup as well.

Hayden is listed as a center... I wonder how he'd do centering Hartman and Hossa on the 3rd line?

Yeah depending upon who can play center better between Hayden and Schmaltz then they can also switch ..

Smchaltz Teows Panik
Panarin Anisimov Kane
Harmtman Hayden Hossa ( Triple H baby! )
Line 4 with Krugs and company

Killer Boots Man

Jul 8, 2015
Over the last 10 games, the Panarin-Schmaltz-Kane combo has put up 7 goals, and had 3 against. Nearly 50% Corsi.

The PAK line (much larger sample) had 33GF, 23GA, and a ~53% Corsi.

But looking at the way the lines shake out with Anisimov on the third line, I think we're looking at a damn good four line rotation; and I think that second and third line are much better than 2015:

Hayden-Toews-Panik <<< Saad-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Schmaltz-Kane >>> Versteeg-Richard-Kane
Hartman-Anisimov-Hossa >> Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen
Desjardins-Kruger-Jurco < Desjardins-Kruger-Shaw

Great post, thanks.

Apparently Hayden played mostly RW at Yale. Schmaltz just can't be trusted at the dot at this point, and he did his best work with Toews. I wouldn't mind seeing:

Schmaltz-Toews-Panik
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Kero-Hossa
Jurco-Kruger-Hayden

A 4th line like this could wreak some serious havoc. Kruger stays defensively minded as always, opening up Jurco and Hayden to lay down punishing hits and the occasional offensive outbursts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad