Post-Game Talk: Hawks fall to Nucks 2-1 in Shootout

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Konopka is a steal at his salary. he is what he is and he fits the role of 4th line center perfectly. hardly a bum.

Konopka is a 4th liner and a 4th liner only. His defensive play is overrated aswell. I get he's great on faceoffs, but when CHI needs a big win and Toews isn't out there, do you really want a Konopka-like player out there? I don't.

cupojoe

Jun 10, 2010
Some of you need to chill. Hawks have the most road games played so far, and its only going to get worse in the near future. If they survive this stretch and end up towards the top in the western conference standings, its gonna be smooth sailing from there on out imo. Any points on this road trip are welcome.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Konopka is a 4th liner and a 4th liner only. His defensive play is overrated aswell. I get he's great on faceoffs, but when CHI needs a big win and Toews isn't out there, do you really want a Konopka-like player out there? I don't.

when Toews isnt out there I would want Konopka over everyone else we have. you are contradicting your statements. you call Konopka a bum, then say hes great on faceoffs. the only reason I want him is for faceoffs and a limited 4th line role. he is big, and has some grit..I dont know what your idea for a top faceoff man is, but I know Bowman and he pulls minor deals..if we could land Konopka I would do cart-wheels. I am not holding my breath for anything better then a player on a 1 year deal from Bowman.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The entire team is awful after Kane & Toews. No good options really. Yes it's time to give some other guys chances, though.

Kane sucked basically all night & got a goal so I'm sure people will say he had a good game.

Team ha golden opportunity with minute+ of 4-on-3 (which is significant edge over 5-on-4) and I don't even think they got a shot through to Luongo. That's sad and pathetic right there. Too much indecision on the PP from this group. Start firing pucks at the net.

Kane was the only player on his line that could do anything with the puck tonight. Sharp, especially, is really fighting it right now and has been for the past 4 games or so.

As for the PP, I thought they did what they wanted to on that PP. They got the puck down low and then shot it up to the point for a shot just outside the slot. That's where you want to take shots from. Unfortunately, Keith and Hossa's blasts were blocked.. but they had the right idea.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Some of you need to chill. Hawks have the most road games played so far, and its only going to get worse in the near future. If they survive this stretch and end up towards the top in the western conference standings, its gonna be smooth sailing from there on out imo. Any points on this road trip are welcome.

why should we have to settle when we could or should have 2 damn wins if our idiot coaching staff would send out the right players in the shootout? I havent seen anyone say the season is over, but there are a few issues that need to be cleaned up before playoffs...unfortunately one of them again seems to be coaching and nothing can be done about that this season sadly.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
when Toews isnt out there I would want Konopka over everyone else we have. you are contradicting your statements. you call Konopka a bum, then say hes great on faceoffs. the only reason I want him is for faceoffs and a limited 4th line role. he is big, and has some grit..I dont know what your idea for a top faceoff man is, but I know Bowman and he pulls minor deals..if we could land Konopka I would do cart-wheels. I am not holding my breath for anything better then a player on a 1 year deal from Bowman.

John Scott is a bum, but he's great at fights. Does being great at one thing make him any less of a bum? No, it doesn't. Obviously Konopka is a better hockey player than Scott - everyone outside the ECHL is - but he's still a bum when it comes to actually playing hockey and if he loses the faceoff, you're in trouble. Again, get someone better than merely a 4th liner.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I'm really happy shootouts aren't in the playoffs. If they were, Q would run us right out of the playoffs.

But again, the last two games should not have been in shootouts. Crawford has played his ass off so far. Guys need to capitalize more on everything. The last two games should not have gone to a shootout.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
John Scott is a bum, but he's great at fights. Does being great at one thing make him any less of a bum? No, it doesn't. Obviously Konopka is a better hockey player than Scott - everyone outside the ECHL is - but he's still a bum when it comes to actually playing hockey and if he loses the faceoff, you're in trouble. Again, get someone better than merely a 4th liner.

going to disagree with your assesment of Konopka as I think he is a bit better then what you think he is. I would take him in a heartbeat for this team if Bolland is out for a while.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Glad to see the negativity coming back around here. Was worried there for a moment when all went so well and people were cheerful. Now it's back to the old whining about Q, shootouts, hits and the PP.

.500 so far on this road trip, PK is top, among the top in the league with only 2 home games played. But lets concentrate on the negatives.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Glad to see the negativity coming back around here. Was worried there for a moment when all went so well and people were cheerful. Now it's back to the old whining about Q, shootouts, hits and the PP.

.500 so far on this road trip, PK is top, among the top in the league with only 2 home games played. But lets concentrate on the negatives.

They let two potentially big points slip away by not cashing in against Minnesota and Vancouver even before the mismanaged and terribly-executed shootouts.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Konopka is a better version of Mayers. He's a great fourth liner. Would be a good pick up assuming It's not our only one.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Chicago's 0-0-2 on this road trip. They've gotten two points, which is good, but they're not .500.

I don't think, personally, that I'm being negative.. but damn am I frustrated that Q didn't learn his lesson from the last shootout and simply remove Sharp from your top-4 shooters.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
As much as I love to ***** and moan about how Pejorative Slured his mindset is when it comes to shootouts, these last two games should have not gone to shootouts. Minnesota barely put the puck on net the last couple periods. They had a 4-on-3 PP in OT tonight. 14 of the first 16 points is marvelous, but it should be at 15 or 16 of 16. It's not being greedy.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I guess we can hang our head on the fact the team can't miss out on wins in the fashion they have the last couple games come playoff time.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
As much as I love to ***** and moan about how Pejorative Slured his mindset is when it comes to shootouts, these last two games should have not gone to shootouts. Minnesota barely put the puck on net the last couple periods. They had a 4-on-3 PP in OT tonight. 14 of the first 16 points is marvelous, but it should be at 15 or 16 of 16. It's not being greedy.

I complain about people who complain about faceoffs, but even I'll admit that when I saw Kane was going to take the first draw on that 4-on-3, I knew this game was going to a shootout.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't think we'll see Pirri up from Rockford. You're not going to break-up the Saad/Toews/Hossa line and I doubt the coaching staff would be comfortable with Pirri between Sharp and Kane.

If Bolland's out, we'll probably see:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Shaw - Kane
Bickell - Kruger - Stalberg
Bollig - Mayers - Frolik

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Explain to me why Minnesota trades Konopka. He gives them a physical edge and is a faceoff beast.

they may trade them if they drop out which I feel Minny will fade as the season goes on. they also need to find room for Zucker and Coyle with the big club and Konopka as a 4th liner doesnt do that, but if they drop someone down to the 4th that might free up a spot for either Zucker or Coyle.

its just wishful thinking at this point.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I complain about people who complain about faceoffs, but even I'll admit that when I saw Kane was going to take the first draw on that 4-on-3, I knew this game was going to a shootout.

Assuming the 'Nucks had 2 defensemen on the ice, Kane lost that faceoff to a D-man :facepalm:

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I don't think we'll see Pirri up from Rockford. You're not going to break-up the Saad/Toews/Hossa line and I doubt the coaching staff would be comfortable with Pirri between Sharp and Kane.

If Bolland's out, we'll probably see:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Shaw - Kane
Bickell - Kruger - Stalberg
Bollig - Mayers - Frolik

tracey-jordan-nope.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad