Has Messi surpassed Gretzky/Jordan and others as the GOAT for all sports?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Messi the GOAT in all sports?

• Yes

• No, it's still Gretzky

• No, it's still Jordan

• No, it's another hockey player (Orr/Howe/Lemieux/etc)

• No, it's another athlete from a different sport

Results are only viewable after voting.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Thanks for making my point. Messi walked into Barcelona at precisely the same time that Spain had an unprecedented run of players and had all of its international success. Spain dominated internationally to a greater extent than Barca did and that was a team that didn’t include Messi. Again he’s great but he’s no Jordan. It’s great that he finally won a World Cup but it doesn’t instantly make him better than other players. I personally prefer Maradona.
Your point was that only a handful of teams can actually win, as opposed to 90's NBA and 80's NHL which were *checks notes* just loaded with parity.

Messi and co. had to hold off probably the second best player ever to win anything he's won. Who did Gretzky and Jordan compete with of that caliber? Gretzky was already in LA by the time Mario and his Pens peaked.

The 1990 Oilers won a Cup without Gretzky. That team was just as stacked. Also, Gretzky and Jordan played for Canada and the US respectively, lap-the-field world #1's which both make Argentina look average by comparison.

I do think there's an argument to be made for any of the three but "it was easy for Messi" isn't the argument.

Reactions: TheStatican

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maradona over Messi is laughable.

Maradona was a great footballer but he was more rock star than footballer.

His club career is nothing to write home about. He never won the European Cup or the Copa Libertadores. His GPG ratio is more on par with Mo Salah and Samuel Eto'o than Messi or Ronaldo.

His reputation is inflated by one World Cup which captured imagination, but there have been better World Cups, including Messi in 2022. In fact, Maradona wasn't even the top scorer at the 1986 World Cup. His performance is remembered because one goal is one of the best ever, I'll grant you that, and the other was literally cheating.

Maradona only had 34 goals for Argentina. Messi has 98.

There isn't an argument for Maradona.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Obviously
Thanks for making my point. Messi walked into Barcelona at precisely the same time that Spain had an unprecedented run of players and had all of its international success. Spain dominated internationally to a greater extent than Barca did and that was a team that didn’t include Messi. Again he’s great but he’s no Jordan. It’s great that he finally won a World Cup but it doesn’t instantly make him better than other players. I personally prefer Maradona.
Youre right hes better than Jordan. Jordan only had to compete against Americans 6'2 and up. basketball has an insanely small talent pool when you factor in how the biggest determinant of an NBA player is their height and not skill or athleticism. You could be the greatest athlete in the world but if youre under 6ft good luck playing in the NBA.

Messi had to compete against the greatest talent pool ever. 50x as large as NHL and NBA COMBINED.

Reactions: tacogeoff

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
NHL hockey players in Gretzky's day solely came from Canada (more or less),
False.

I mean, if you ask 100 people from a country outside of Canada who the greatest athlete ever is, you would get 0 answers for Gretzky. In america you might get Brady, but outside of that nobody would say him. 90% of answers would be Messi,, Pele, Ronaldo, Bolt, Jordan, Ali, etc.

I think gretzky is further ahead of his competition than the others are, but at some point people have to know who you are to be considered the greatest athlete of all time. If literally less than 10% of the world's population have heard of you - it's really hard to make an argument that you are that.
I personally don't think how famous you are relates to how 'great' you are.

Far more people have heard of and read J.K. Rowling than Herman Melville, but it doesn't convince me she's greater.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
This narrative about 3 times world champion is purely your agenda. I keep talking about his 1958 and 1970 runs but it looks like you have nothing to say about. Why, I wonder...

Sure bud. And you definitely don't have an agenda with "barca haven't won UCL since 2011". Or "Messi is a 3x UCL winner". At least my "agenda" doesn't involve straight up lying about things.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not false. Here is the breakdown of NHL players by nationality in 1979-80 (Wayne Gretzky's rookie season)

Canada- 83.7 %
United States - 9.9 %
Sweden - 4.3 %
Finland - 0.8 %
Others - 1.3 %

Not included - the next best Hockey nation, Soviet Union along with the other eastern bloc

Reactions: Randyne

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
False.

I personally don't think how famous you are relates to how 'great' you are.

Far more people have heard of and read J.K. Rowling than Herman Melville, but it doesn't convince me she's greater.
I think it does, part of greatness and legacy are being well known. Others have said it many times too but the pool of athletes ice hockey has is a fraction of what Soccer/football has , Gretzky is easily the best hockey player ever, but when it comes to global athletics, he's not even spoken of outside of Canada , to a lesser extent USA, and in small circles in some European countries. If 90 percent of the world has never heard your name its tough to be considered the globe's greatest athlete of all time.

If we are talking sheer athleticism I would also add Usian bolt as he has Gretzky like dominance over his sport along with global recognition that rivals almost anyone

Reactions: tacogeoff

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Obviously

Youre right hes better than Jordan. Jordan only had to compete against Americans 6'2 and up. basketball has an insanely small talent pool when you factor in how the biggest determinant of an NBA player is their height and not skill or athleticism. You could be the greatest athlete in the world but if youre under 6ft good luck playing in the NBA.

Messi had to compete against the greatest talent pool ever. 50x as large as NHL and NBA COMBINED.
it's one thing to say that Basketball has a smaller talent pool than Football (which is true), but to proclaim that being tall is more important than being skilled/athletic in the NBA is pure bunk

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
it's one thing to say that Basketball has a smaller talent pool than Football (which is true), but to proclaim that being tall is more important than being skilled/athletic in the NBA is pure bunk
Height is the most important skill in basketball. You can compensate for lacking it with athleticism, and skill less so, but extreme height is close to a golden ticket to being a professional basketball player.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Height is the most important skill in basketball. You can compensate for lacking it with athleticism, and skill less so, but extreme height is close to a golden ticket to being a professional basketball player.
there's no lack of 6' 8''+ guys out there who have played ball. the vast majority of them can't even make it in the G league

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
there's no lack of 6' 8''+ guys out there who have played ball. the vast majority of them can't even make it in the G league
not trying to say its unfair or makes accomplishments any less impressive, you cold probably say the same thing about certain genetic factors in other sports, most people just won't have the genes to be a champion marathon runner, swimmer, sprinter, etc.

But when the average height is 6'7 to play in the world's top league, you have to admit being tall is one of, if not the absolute most important predetermining factor in success. You realize the global average for males is likely around 5'8? Even just 6'2 puts you in the 95h percentile for male height, which is still a far from from the average in the best basketball league in the world. Genetics play a larger role in other sports than many people realize so obviously though, so I don't take anything away from those who are tall and succeed in basketball more than I would from a track athlete who has the ideal genetics for that discipline.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As someone who follows basketball recruiting and college basketball and the draft. Not even close to true. You are vastly underestimating the competitive landscape of basketball. Every tall guy in the world gets put on a basketball court.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
As someone who follows basketball recruiting and college basketball and the draft. Not even close to true. You are vastly underestimating the competitive landscape of basketball. Every tall guy in the world gets put on a basketball court.

Which is the top 5% of people at most. 95% of the world's male population is below 6'2 , which is 5 inches below the nba average height.

You need to have a lot of things, and obviously being tall isn't all there is to it. But being tall at least gives you a chance to have a professional career. If you are in the 95% who aren't - your chances drop immensely

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Which is the top 5% of people at most. 95% of the world's male population is below 6'2 , which is 5 inches below the nba average height.

You need to have a lot of things, and obviously being tall isn't all there is to it. But being tall at least gives you a chance to have a professional career. If you are in the 95% who aren't - your chances drop immensely
So what? Are you saying nba players aren’t crazy good athletes? Lol. Yeah it’s a sport for tall, athletic and skilled people. Just like hockey is a sport for rich, athletic and skilled people that grow up close to the arctic circle. Obviously football (soccer) is the most accessible game because there isn’t a big physical, socioeconomic or geographic requirement, which is why it has the most global talent pool and top players from the largest amount of countries.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
So what? Are you saying nba players aren’t crazy good athletes? Lol. Yeah it’s a sport for tall, athletic and skilled people. Just like hockey is a sport for rich, athletic and skilled people that grow up close to the arctic circle. Obviously football (soccer) is the most accessible game because there isn’t a big physical, socioeconomic or geographic requirement, which is why it has the most global talent pool and top players from the largest amount of countries.

I'm saying anyone who downplays the role of importance height has to basketball ability is being naive, its the most important aspect physically in order to succeed. Like I said above, its the same thing with elite runners, swimmers, etc. as they are all in the genetic 0.1% and that is a major part of their success, its just not as obvious to some people who watch from their TV since getting a breakdown of someone's genetics play such a large role in running marathons or sprinting isn't as obvious to the masses as how being 6'2 and above is basically a requirement to play in the NBA

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Come on man which sport has an average height of 6'7. OBJ, Tyreek Hill, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Crosby all under 6ft.

If youre 5'10 and the absolute best athlete on the planet vs if youre maybe slightly above above average but 6'8, who has better odds of making the NBA? In hockey, soccer, football and nearly every other sport the 5'10 super athlete is going to be more effective.

Ofcourse there are freak athletes in the NBA and you have to be talented to play in the league, but good luck getting there if you're not in the 95+ percentile of human height.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

1672154993381.png

LOL

Jordan did have that 1 year in the minors :)

Was expecting a lot more likes! You remember this?

1672155140485.png

• Wow
Reactions: TheStatican

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Speaking of GOATs in their respective sports, I suppose this should warrant consideration, though I realize that most don't care about women's swimming:

• Wow
Reactions: Dialamo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad