Has Cale Makar already surpassed a prime Erik Karlsson in just his first 4 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What stacked rosters did Karlsson play on?

I can tell you he never played on a team remotely close to the current Avs.
Alfredsson
Spezza
Fisher
Kovalev
Michalik
Karlsson
Cheechoo
Phillips
Almost certain Redden and Havlat was on the team too when Karlsson was in his prime.

• Haha
Reactions: OmniSens and Ncit3

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don’t have a definitive answer to the thread but I don’t buy into the argument that Makar’s superior teammates disqualify him.

Makar just played a series with Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, etc all on the same ice and outplayed them all. All year long, Makar was our best player.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Alfredsson
Spezza
Fisher
Kovalev
Michalik
Karlsson
Cheechoo
Phillips
Almost certain Redden and Havlat was on the team too when Karlsson was in his prime.

Humm I'm not sure if you're joking or not? These guys were mostly toast or far from their prime or not with the Senators BEFORE EK entered the league.

They certainly were not strong during his PRIME

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Humm I'm not sure if you're joking or not? These guys were mostly toast or far from their prime or not with the Senators BEFORE EK entered the league.

They certainly were not strong during his PRIME

Yeah most of these guys were over their prime. How can you tell? Because no one outside of Karlsson is currently in the NHL right now.

Those guys on average were 5-10 years older than him.

Last active guy was Spezza and he just retired.

Reactions: slapKing

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I love Makar and think he has an amazing potential, but let's put the breaks on the "Orr, Bourque, or Lidstrom" talk.

Reactions: Puckstop40

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don’t have a definitive answer to the thread but I don’t buy into the argument that Makar’s superior teammates disqualify him.

Makar just played a series with Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, etc all on the same ice and outplayed them all. All year long, Makar was our best player.

Yeah I don't care how good your team is, if you are capable of being over a career PPG in the regular season AND the playoffs as a defenseman. You must be a special player.

I feel like Makar is a player who both the eye test and the analytics people like. You don't have to know much about hockey to watch Makar and go "Who is that guy on the ice? He looks better than everyone else."

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Makar is better than Karlsson when the latter first joined the league. Not sure he's better than 2015-2017 Karlsson.

Reactions: abo9

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I love Makar and think he has an amazing potential, but let's put the breaks on the "Orr, Bourque, or Lidstrom" talk.

The word potential shouldn't be used for Makar anymore unless you're talking about "He's got the potential to be one of the best players to ever play the game."

He's a superstar of this game and the Conn Smythe favorite right now.

You can say that the Avs are a great team, but you can also say that the Avs became this consistently elite team ever since Makar joined them.

Being a great player on a great team shouldn't discredit what he's done because he's a big reason why they are so good.

Reactions: Newusername

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The word potential shouldn't be used for Makar anymore unless you're talking about "He's got the potential to be one of the best players to ever play the game."

You can say that the Avs are a great team, but you can also say that the Avs became this consistently elite team ever since Makar joined them.

Being a great player on a great team shouldn't discredit what he's done because he's a big reason why they are so good.

Right, the Avs had all these forwards and were an 8th seed scraping into the playoffs. Makar jumped in straight from college and they became a contender overnight

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Nah, that's Shesterkin's trophy to lose

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nah, that's Shesterkin's trophy to lose

Shesterkin has to make the SCF before that happens and then win the Cup for that to happen. New York has a .250 record on the road. There is a very good chance that this series is tied after tonight.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
What an arbitrary and useless metric. Karlsson "finished T-4th in league scoring" with 82 points in 2015-16. That wouldn't even crack the top-25 this year. The 2nd leading scorer in 2015-16 (Jamie Benn with 89 points) would have been #17 in the league in 2021-22.

Roman Josi had significantly more points this year than Karlsson ever scored in any year of his career.

Makar >> Karlsson
Prime-Karlsson would’ve scored 100points in 2021-22 so that’s even more useless.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Alfredsson
Spezza
Fisher
Kovalev
Michalik
Karlsson
Cheechoo
Phillips

Some real superstars there. Karlsson even played with Karlsson.

Havlat and Redden were not on the Sens at any point Karlsson was there much less his prime.

Doubty

Mar 25, 2021
Not even close yet. Let's see it next year if this was just some lucky slump.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Makar is better than Karlsson when the latter first joined the league. Not sure he's better than 2015-2017 Karlsson.

Or 11-12 Karlsson, which might be his best season. 25 points ahead of the second highest scoring Dman. 17 5v5 points ahead. Not sure we'll see that kind of dominance again.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Disqualify? Of course not. It’s simply one variable to consider. But the way it was presented was like: “Well, now that he’s gone to the finals, he’s better than Karlsson… “

No.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Alfredsson
Spezza
Fisher
Kovalev
Michalik
Karlsson
Cheechoo
Phillips
As others have pointed out, most of these guys did not play with Karlsson. Those that did were over the hill by that point.

Look at the roster that Karlsson took within 1 game from the Cup final (which they had a good chance of winning). It was literally a one man show.

Look at what Cale Makar has in front of him.

Now Makar may very well be as good as EK was in his prime. I doubt that very much but it's within the realm of possibility. The problem is, we'll never know how good Makar is without a stacked lineup in front of him / surrounding him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad