Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2013-2014 Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Too funny, you do realize that the Habs farm team is in Southern Ontario, basically Leafs territory.

What's funny is you not realizing the Bulldogs draw 4000 fans in a 19 000 seat arena. Even if their attendance is reported higher.

it's funny that the only time they have to take the curtain off the second deck is when they play the Marlies.

What's also funny is there are rumours about the team is going to Laval, likely to alleviate some of these aformentioned facts.

Hilarious.

The Bulldogs are not a 'cash-cow' or an ideal situation by any means. They don't draw well and illicit very little interest outside of Habs fans.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Hamilton aren't even in the bottom half of attendance. The AHL doesn't draw. The only team that has a good fanbase is Hershey and that's because Washington stacks them with AHL stars every year so they're always winners. If we did the same with Hamilton the average attendance would rise one or two thousand. People don't pay to see losers, especially at the AHL level.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What's funny is you not realizing the Bulldogs draw 4000 fans in a 19 000 seat arena. Even if their attendance is reported higher.

it's funny that the only time they have to take the curtain off the second deck is when they play the Marlies.

What's also funny is there are rumours about the team is going to Laval, likely to alleviate some of these aformentioned facts.

Hilarious.

The Bulldogs are not a 'cash-cow' or an ideal situation by any means. They don't draw well and illicit very little interest outside of Habs fans.

The Bulldogs draw is average for the AHL. And, perception is everything. If Hamilton had a sweet 4,000 - 5,000 seat arena for them to play in then we would be talking about them getting sell-outs all the time or close too. But, they're forced to play at Copps, a venue that is too big for them.

It's like the Alouettes games suddenly got a lot better when they moved to McGill and 18,000 people filled an 18,000 seat stadium, whereas the big O which seats 40,000 was half empty and it was terrible.

An AHL team is not supposed to fill an 18,000-19,000 seat arena. The size of the venue is inappropriate for an AHL team.

I'm sure the Habs will move their team eventually, but they seem to be okay with the set-up for now.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
The argument was the affiliate making a difference.

If the Abbotbsford team was the Canucks affiliate, I bet you would see higher attendance, like what Wills said.

If the Leafs affiliate played at Copps, I predict you'd see a spike.

If the Laval Bruins played a Place Bell. it would not be a success. Put the Canadiens affiliate there you're talking bigger numbers.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa

Hilarious.

Too funny is that you didn't see the irony.

Wills was saying that Abbotsford doesn't draw well because of the wrong affiliation, this from an announcer of a Habs farm team in a Maple Leaf territory.

DogsFan*

You're obviously not watching Habs games the last month.

He struggled his 1st moth, understandable after missing most of camp and preseason, but he is playing very steady right now, I wouldn't be surprised if MB is getting calls from a few contenders looking for a guy like him for depth.

Wow I don't know what Douglas Murray you're watching but if a GM calls Bergevin for Murray, Bergevin can't complete the trade call soon enough.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It's far more likely the Hamilton fans will come in droves when the team actually represents a threat to win the Calder Cup, no matter which team is their sponsor. People like to back winners not losers and the Bulldogs while making a bid for the playoffs are a far cry from being Calder Cup Champions this season.

Adding a few offensive players and some size next season should be the remedy they (the fans) need to come back in droves. Crisp & Nevins joining Tinordi & Fournier is a start in the right direction, adding Collberg & Lehkonen to Andrighetto as playmaking hockey stars will also. Simply put, having a team that can play the game anyway necessary will insure their fans coming out to back them.:nod:

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
It's far more likely the Hamilton fans will come in droves when the team actually represents a threat to win the Calder Cup, no matter which team is their sponsor. People like to back winners not losers and the Bulldogs while making a bid for the playoffs are a far cry from being Calder Cup Champions this season.

Adding a few offensive players and some size next season should be the remedy they (the fans) need to come back in droves. Crisp & Nevins joining Tinordi & Fournier is a start in the right direction, adding Collberg & Lehkonen to Andrighetto as playmaking hockey stars will also. Simply put, having a team that can play the game anyway necessary will insure their fans coming out to back them.:nod:

I certainly can't speak for the future but I was at games 4 + 5 of the final when they won in 2007. For game 4, the arena was about half-full and game 5, the game they won, had an attendance of about 15000. The walk-up crowd line-up was absolutely huge. The only reason that spiked was because had they not won 2 days earlier they wouldn't have been 1 game away. I would argue people were rallying around the 'Hamilton' aspect of the event and would have come regardless of the affiliation.

But, it takes 1 victory form the Calder Cup to draw anything close to a sell-out.

DogsFan*

I certainly can't speak for the future but I was at games 4 + 5 of the final when they won in 2007. For game 4, the arena was about half-full and game 5, the game they won, had an attendance of about 15000. The walk-up crowd line-up was absolutely huge. The only reason that spiked was because had they not won 2 days earlier they wouldn't have been 1 game away. I would argue people were rallying around the 'Hamilton' aspect of the event and would have come regardless of the affiliation.

But, it takes 1 victory form the Calder Cup to draw anything close to a sell-out.

I believe game 4 was about 13,000 and game 5 was nearly 16,000. In 2003-04 the final game was completely sold out and they laid an egg. Great memories of when they won it all, though.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Hamilton aren't even in the bottom half of attendance. The AHL doesn't draw. The only team that has a good fanbase is Hershey and that's because Washington stacks them with AHL stars every year so they're always winners. If we did the same with Hamilton the average attendance would rise one or two thousand. People don't pay to see losers, especially at the AHL level.

They are 17th out of 30 in attendance and about 300 fans per game below average... to me that puts them in the bottom half. If you take out the Marlie games where most of the fans are there to cheer on the Leafs prospects, then the support for the home team is abysmal.

In 2008-09 they were second in the division and averaged about 4900 fans per game (15th in the league)
In 2009-10 they were first in the division and averaged about 4400 fans per game (15th in the league)
In 2010-11 they were first in the division and averaged about 4300 fans per game (21st in the league)

So after three successful seasons, the attendance kept declining. Hamiltonians just have not embraced the Bulldogs and you can come up with all of the excuses you want but I doubt they ever will.

But Molson seems to be happy with the affiliation so I imagine it will be in place for a while.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
They are 17th out of 30 in attendance and about 300 fans per game below average... to me that puts them in the bottom half. If you take out the Marlie games where most of the fans are there to cheer on the Leafs prospects, then the support for the home team is abysmal.

In 2008-09 they were second in the division and averaged about 4900 fans per game (15th in the league)
In 2009-10 they were first in the division and averaged about 4400 fans per game (15th in the league)
In 2010-11 they were first in the division and averaged about 4300 fans per game (21st in the league)

So after three successful seasons, the attendance kept declining. Hamiltonians just have not embraced the Bulldogs and you can come up with all of the excuses you want but I doubt they ever will.

But Molson seems to be happy with the affiliation so I imagine it will be in place for a while.

Michael Andlauer owns the Bulldogs and he's also a part-owner of the Habs.

TiCats

Nov 8, 2013
Mile End, Montreal
The argument was the affiliate making a difference.

If the Abbotbsford team was the Canucks affiliate, I bet you would see higher attendance, like what Wills said.

If the Leafs affiliate played at Copps, I predict you'd see a spike.

If the Laval Bruins played a Place Bell. it would not be a success. Put the Canadiens affiliate there you're talking bigger numbers.

Put an affiliate in Kingston or Cornwall for a team like say Vancouver. In the division of Binghampton, Hamilton and Toronto. You'll sell some tickets. Both towns have decent rinks.

Hell, just bring back the Kingston Canadiens! (Kirk Muller represent)

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Carolina sent cam ward down last week for conditioning I don't see why we couldn't do it with galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk could go down, because he's coming back from an injury.

Grigorenko was getting scratched from the Sabres Lineup, he wasn't injured, the conditionning reason was ********.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004

Ah, nope. Hamilton, like Toronto, is not a hockey town. It is a Leafs town. Any Leafs town will never be a hockey town. They just don't understand anything that isn't the Leafs and their attitude toward the Leafs (we're the best and if we can just scrape into the playoffs as the 8th seed by virtue of OTL and a tie-breaker formula we can mount a serious campaign for the Cup so we can have a tin foil cup parade in October, yet again) proves they don't know hockey.

Case in point: rolled up to game 7 --GAME 7 -- of the 2009-10 playoff semi-final against Texas with my kids in tow to get seats before the game. We arrived maybe 1/2 hr before game time. We were lined up down the usually empty hallway that used to connect Copps to the mall and the hot dog on a stick stand across from the series of dollar stores and cellphone accessory stores that dominate the mall. I had a horrible feeling we wouldn't get seats. Waited and waited. Line moved slowly. Arms grew weary with kids in them.

Moral of the story: we got to the box office, asked for my preferred seat in my preferred location (hint: it's in one of the sections where the families and the scouts tend to sit if they're not in the pressbox--iirc Tomas Steen was first one there). To our surprise, the seats were not only available, it was us, the scouts and the families of the players. Less than 5,000 showed up for that game--A GAME 7 IN A CONFERENCE FINAL FOR A 1st PLACE TEAM THAT HAD RECENTLY WON THE CALDER CUP.

Moral #2: that was the game of the great collapse after building a big lead in the opening 40 minutes. You could see it coming. It was horrible and PK was a big part of that collapse, but nobody was a bigger part of that collapse than Guy Boucher. He blew it.

Last edited:

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Carolina sent cam ward down last week for conditioning I don't see why we couldn't do it with galchenyuk.

I guess he's asking because in theory, Galchenyuk has to play in the OHL if he's not playing in the NHL, because of his age and the fact that he's been drafted out of the OHL.

Don't know the answer though.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I guess he's asking because in theory, Galchenyuk has to play in the OHL if he's not playing in the NHL, because of his age and the fact that he's been drafted out of the OHL.

Don't know the answer though.

Oh. I don't know the answer either I was just thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad