Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2013-2014 Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Leblanc has good hockey sense, above average defensive awareness and is pretty beastly on the boards. I think he's looked pretty good in the NHL all things considered. I just think a lot of people don't appreciate the work gionta does for the team. He's infuriating to watch, but replace him with any other RW in our system and watch pleks get overrun. He can't handle those matchups on his own.

He has some skills too, he can dangle, but it's realy his shot that is weak, way too weak for the NHL. I still believe in him, i might the only person on those board who thinks he can be a top-6 player if he works on his shot. Some players are average in the A, but just bring their game up when they play in the NHL.

I could see him in the same mold as Doan, Frolik, Hornqvist, Versteeg, Parenteau, Brouwer... good complete players with high compete level but limited offensively, because of his shot.

And i'm not comfortable with this team playing him as a fourth/third liner even in the AHL, he has some good abilities and skillz, let him express himself. But as long as his shot doesn't improve he's clrealy a third liner at the NHL level, luckily all our lines look like a third line.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
He has some skills too, he can dangle, but it's realy his shot that is weak, way too weak for the NHL. I still believe in him, i might the only person on those board who thinks he can be a top-6 player if he works on his shot. Some players are average in the A, but just bring their game up when they play in the NHL.

I could see him in the same mold as Doan, Frolik, Hornqvist, Versteeg, Parenteau, Brouwer... good complete players with high compete level but limited offensively, because of his shot.

And i'm not comfortable with this team playing him as a fourth/third liner even in the AHL, he has some good abilities and skillz, let him express himself. But as long as his shot doesn't improve he's clrealy a third liner at the NHL level, luckily all our lines look like a third line.

The Habs have far bigger concerns than Louis Leblanc, but the need for a player with his vision, playing in the Top Nine is one of them. Leblanc should embrace the opportunities afforded him and show he's worthy of the role. Joining Bournival, another prospect whose worth to the Habs throughout the lineup is increasing.

Experience will be the final value that either sees him being an integral piece in the lineup long-term or perhaps a Max Talbot type of player elsewhere. I hope it's the former myself and both become Stanley Cup winners in the Habs organization, soon.

Players like Claude Provost, Ralph Backstrom, Phil Goyette, Donnie Marshall and many others with various talents, were the difference in the Habs lineups that won SC's in the past. Players that excel in defensive roles, that can combine small contributions offensively are difference makers in the playoffs regularly. :nod:

NewHabsEra*

Leblanc has good hockey sense, above average defensive awareness and is pretty beastly on the boards. I think he's looked pretty good in the NHL all things considered. I just think a lot of people don't appreciate the work gionta does for the team. He's infuriating to watch, but replace him with any other RW in our system and watch pleks get overrun. He can't handle those matchups on his own.

Exactly, totally agree, Gionta does a very good job defensively and battles hard every shifts, so when he isnt producing, he still has his utility to the team..

Briere and Bourque are the ones who have 0 utility to the team, I would play Lablanc and maybe even Andrighetto over them..

Last edited by a moderator:

NewHabsEra*

Its more than just a weak shot, his puck skills arent top 6 material.. If Leblanc ever play in the NHL, it would be on a third line..

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
You're basing yourself on what Bertrand Raymond said. Just the fact he said he would probably play in Europe next shows he can't even see that Leblanc still has a middle-6 NHL potential.

Also, he did show progression from last year and played well for us when up this year. He'll be fine. I strongly believe he'll be back next year, most probably part of the top13 forwards.

Bert Raymond simply re-affirmed what I've thought all along. As much as some of you despise guys like Raymond and Marinaro and such, they are connected and moreso than any of us at that. If there is anyone who is a staunch supporter of having a team entirely made up of 'les gas de chez nous', it's Raymond and his opinion on Leblanc counters this completely.

I am basing this on someone who lives in the GTA and is a 25 minute drive from downtown Hamilton and has watched Leblanc play several times over the last 3 years. I see someone who is slow, who is a good AHL player but not a great one. Someone who is battling with Mike Blunden for the scoring lead. A first round pick, that is 23 and and plays nothing like someone in that position. Someone who gets bounced around up and down from the minors and produces 0 points when he plays in the pros (just like any other 'average to good' AHL player would.) He was drafted on the mandate of the previous regime so this doesn't fall on Marc Bergevin, so he won't lose any sleep parting ways.

I state again, I believe he is finished in Montreal.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Louis Leblanc will become a Trevor Lewis in the NHL. The guy had the same kind of hype... very smart/defensive 1st round pick. Average size, speed and offensive skills, but too smart to not make it.

He will be a responsible 3rd or 4th liner on a team, but nothing more. He definitely has what it takes to stick in the NHL though. just needs to develop into his new role.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Bert Raymond simply re-affirmed what I've thought all along. As much as some of you despise guys like Raymond and Marinaro and such, they are connected and moreso than any of us at that. If there is anyone who is a staunch supporter of having a team entirely made up of 'les gas de chez nous', it's Raymond and his opinion on Leblanc counters this completely.

I am basing this on someone who lives in the GTA and is a 25 minute drive from downtown Hamilton and has watched Leblanc play several times over the last 3 years. I see someone who is slow, who is a good AHL player but not a great one. Someone who is battling with Mike Blunden for the scoring lead. A first round pick, that is 23 and and plays nothing like someone in that position. Someone who gets bounced around up and down from the minors and produces 0 points when he plays in the pros (just like any other 'average to good' AHL player would.) He was drafted on the mandate of the previous regime so this doesn't fall on Marc Bergevin, so he won't lose any sleep parting ways.

I state again, I believe he is finished in Montreal.

You've made a lot of good points and as much as we hope that Leblanc will succeed, simply hoping it will happen won't make it happen. You've obviously seen him play more than I have and are in a better position to make that judgment.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
You've made a lot of good points and as much as we hope that Leblanc will succeed, simply hoping it will happen won't make it happen. You've obviously seen him play more than I have and are in a better position to make that judgment.

Also, just comparing him to a lot of other former Bulldogs I've seen. Pacioretty, Price, Subban, Gallagher, Desharnais, heck even Maxime Lapierre and Ryan White showed that they were clearly to good for this league when their time came to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL.

Bournival and Beaulieu were certainly on their way to that status. One thing I think propelled them faster is that they both skate like players at the NHL level, and again when you watch them in the American league you can tell.

Louis Leblanc does shows absolutely none of those things. He's the first call-up by default really. They're not going to throw Andrighetto to the wolves. Dumont and Blunden are just as 'meh' as Leblanc, I would even say Dumont shows way more jump and cojones. Once at a Marlies game last season he knocked out Joe Colborne in a fight, who is much taller than him.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Also, just comparing him to a lot of other former Bulldogs I've seen. Pacioretty, Price, Subban, Gallagher, Desharnais, heck even Maxime Lapierre and Ryan White showed that they were clearly to good for this league when their time came to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL.

Bournival and Beaulieu were certainly on their way to that status. One thing I think propelled them faster is that they both skate like players at the NHL level, and again when you watch them in the American league you can tell.

Louis Leblanc does shows absolutely none of those things. He's the first call-up by default really. They're not going to throw Andrighetto to the wolves. Dumont and Blunden are just as 'meh' as Leblanc, I would even say Dumont shows way more jump and cojones. Once at a Marlies game last season he knocked out Joe Colborne in a fight, who is much taller than him.

The Habs have drafted 13 forwards out of 15 picks the last two drafts, the depth in Hamilton being a very good reason for that. The players that stood out are all in the NHL now. The next ones are coming and it is make or break for many soon.:nod: Also the majority of free agent signings at that level have been forwards, so time is not in favor of Leblanc making the Habs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Morgan Ellis...visiting this site yesterday got me digging into Bulldog stats. Anybody seen him play lately?

Ellis' stats seemed to point to him having much better season than last. His +/- has made radical improvement and he has as many points in 35 games this year as he had in 70 last year.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Let the new prospects try their hand, they have an abundance of different talent.:nod:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Louis Leblanc will become a Trevor Lewis in the NHL. The guy had the same kind of hype... very smart/defensive 1st round pick. Average size, speed and offensive skills, but too smart to not make it.

He will be a responsible 3rd or 4th liner on a team, but nothing more. He definitely has what it takes to stick in the NHL though. just needs to develop into his new role.

Leblanc doesn't have a spot as a top 6 player in the NHL. All the people bashing him itt are placing 1st round draft expectations on him 5 years later. He was always a 3rd liner with strong hockey smarts with a tiny bit of 2nd line potential. Nobody ever thought Leblanc could be a first line player. He was always known as defensively responsible.

He can get a job bouncing between the 3rd & 4th lines in the league. The problem is he is local and French and media / fans will always place 1st round expectations on him here.

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
Morgan Ellis...visiting this site yesterday got me digging into Bulldog stats. Anybody seen him play lately?

Ellis' stats seemed to point to him having much better season than last. His +/- has made radical improvement and he has as many points in 35 games this year as he had in 70 last year.

I remember Mathias Brunet was excited about him during the Memorial Cup run. He's rarely wrong. Check again in a year I'd say.

The big club could certainly use an all-around right d with some size. Only Pateryn, Ellis, Dietz and Thrower in that category. Didier is a long shot at best.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site

Yeah good call. It took Lewis forever and everyone had counted him out....but not the Kings.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Leblanc doesn't have a spot as a top 6 player in the NHL. All the people bashing him itt are placing 1st round draft expectations on him 5 years later. He was always a 3rd liner with strong hockey smarts with a tiny bit of 2nd line potential. Nobody ever thought Leblanc could be a first line player. He was always known as defensively responsible.

He can get a job bouncing between the 3rd & 4th lines in the league. The problem is he is local and French and media / fans will always place 1st round expectations on him here.

He may end up a 3rd liner, we don't know...however, those judging him based on playing 5-6 minutes a game with Moen and Prust are not living in reality. If you want a young player to show offense you don't put him with 4th liners. His call up wasn't a "showcase" it was a case of injuries and needing another body. If they really want to know what they have before the end of the year(especially if Gionta/Bourque or Briere is moved opening up room) he will need to play with a center that at least has some offensive skill. He is a guy that is good at giving the puck and getting open, not a guy like Pcaioretty who can generate his own chances on the rush. If he develops fully he will be a guy that can play on an offensive line and score around 20 while being good defensively, a bigger Gionta of the last 2-3 years.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I remember Mathias Brunet was excited about him during the Memorial Cup run. He's rarely wrong. Check again in a year I'd say.

The big club could certainly use an all-around right d with some size. Only Pateryn, Ellis, Dietz and Thrower in that category. Didier is a long shot at best.

Didier is somewhat of a longshot, but I watched a few of his games, he gets underrated because he plays NCAA. He has physicality and some toughness, good size and mobility and doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. Not saying he is a Beaulieu/Tinordi but he could develop into a #4-5-6 stay at home guy.

I think a guy like Ellis will benefit once Pateryn Tinordi and Beaulieu are in the NHL, he will then get bigger minutes to show what he can do at both ends. Next year will be a big test for him as he will have to pass waivers in 2015-2016. He may end up trade bait if the blueline is crowded and with Dietz Thrower Nygren Didier and Bennett in the pipeline.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Brunet is rarely wrong? If he's rarely wrong on prospects, what's he doing earning $50,000 per annum as a reporter when he could be a head scout or manager making $250,000 plus?

Anyway - I'm not sure what Memorial Cup run you speak of...Harvey played NCAA hockey.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Brunet is rarely wrong? If he's rarely wrong on prospects, what's he doing earning $50,000 per annum as a reporter when he could be a head scout or manager making $250,000 plus?

Anyway - I'm not sure what Memorial Cup run you speak of...Harvey played NCAA hockey.

I think he is referring to Ellis.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Harvey?? ....I thought he was talking about Morgan Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad