Proposal: Habs rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Who cares?

when it matters most he is money in the bank. The players themselves vote for him nearly every year.
as it seems habs fans

during both regular seasons there were countless trade proposals started by habs fans to get rid of price

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I’m not claiming that Price is worth his current contract- if he gets traded retention will surely be involved. Im simply questioning a poster who is claiming that Price can’t still be one of the best goaltenders in the league only months removed from carrying a bubble team to the Stanley Cup finals.
in reality he hasn't been one of the best goalies since that po run, as he hasn't played. no team ignores that fact.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I guess Malkin is worthless too - hasn’t played a game all season. I’m sure no one would be interested in his services either….
i wouldn't treat malkin as a top10 player in trade proposals anymore.

the big difference malkin is ufa after this season and won't cover cap space down the road. if the trade doesn't pan out, you just wasted the assets you traded for him.

price comes with 4 additional years of term. if loans were a thing in the nhl a team most likely would spent a first for one po run. but being on the hook for the rest of the contract term kills his value

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I could see Edmonton going after Toffoli or Hoffman if they could find a way to make it work cap-wise.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Johnny produced the same amount of point as Landeskog in a 150 less games. You wanna talk about flawed logic, you're literally talking about nickel and diming Gaudreau, in order to acquire Toffoli. Backlund has out produced Toffoli over the last 6 years. Do you honestly think someone would offer us a 1st + a 2nd if we retained a million on Backs, because I don't. That's with Backlund being a center and much better defensively. Your entire evaluation of talent is so off I just don't know where to begin, but 2 Tyler Toffoli's wouldn't replace what he means to this team or fill the seats like Johnny does.

I even like Toffoli but the time to figure out how to fit him was two offseasons ago, prior to the Coleman signing.

Toffoli last 6 years: 49 points per 82 games pace or 2.19 points per 60 mins - 53.6 CF%
Backlund last 6 years: 48 points per 82 games pace or 1.99 points per 60 mins - 52.8 CF%

Toffoli has outproduced Backlund in pace and p/60 over the last 6 years. always makes me laugh when people just spew lies as facts lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Maelpj93

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
I guess Malkin is worthless too - hasn’t played a game all season. I’m sure no one would be interested in his services either….
This is a terrible comparison, Malkin isn’t the second highest paid player at his position and doesn’t have another four seasons after this one

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You rail on Price as being a has been and how he's done nothing lately and yet he single-handedly carried a subpar team all the way to the Stanley Cup finals beating a team that the Avs were unable to beat with their vastly superior team and what I can only assume is als0 superior goalie as well based on your Price rhetoric.....

Say what you will about Price's inflated contract and inconsistent regular season performances in recent seasons I think anyone who watched last seasons playoffs would at least acknowledge that he still has the potential to be one of the best goalies in the league, regardless of any issues currently surrounding him
Price has a super high ceiling and a super low floor. For $10.5mm per, he’s insanely overpaid for how bad he’s been the past four years in totality. He has, on the whole, been a below average starter. His sub 91% save % is a massive red flag. As is this knee injury at his age and this addiction issue. There is so much smoke around Price. It’s fire.

It should be so unbelievably beyond obvious by now every fan base has a far lower opinion on the value of Price than the Habs fans do. Which screams out the Habs need to keep Price for the balance of his contract as your goalie. He’s most valuable, by far, to the team he’s already on. Give up the proposals and accept that.

the refs suspension of the NHL rule book last playoffs played a huge role the Habs and Islanders making it as far as they did. The massive amount of uncalled cross checking that was permitted created games that had far fewer high danger scoring chances than a typical game that should have had more PPs and less illegal defensive stick work. Price was excellent but several other factors carried the Habs as well.

my favorite was the MAF giveaway that handed the Habs the conference finals series when Vegas had it about sewn up. As someone that doesn’t like the Knights, I Lol’d so hard when that happened.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Price has a super high ceiling and a super low floor. For $10.5mm per, he’s insanely overpaid for how bad he’s been the past four years in totality. He has, on the whole, been a below average starter. His sub 91% save % is a massive red flag. As is this knee injury at his age and this addiction issue. There is so much smoke around Price. It’s fire.

It should be so unbelievably beyond obvious by now every fan base has a far lower opinion on the value of Price than the Habs fans do. Which screams out the Habs need to keep Price for the balance of his contract as your goalie. He’s most valuable, by far, to the team he’s already on. Give up the proposals and accept that.

the refs suspension of the NHL rule book last playoffs played a huge role the Habs and Islanders making it as far as they did. The massive amount of uncalled cross checking that was permitted created games that had far fewer high danger scoring chances than a typical game that should have had more PPs and less illegal defensive stick work. Price was excellent but several other factors carried the Habs as well.

my favorite was the MAF giveaway that handed the Habs the conference finals series when Vegas had it about sewn up. As someone that doesn’t like the Knights, I Lol’d so hard when that happened.

My favorite was Toronto going up 3-1 in the series before remembering they are the Leafs and imploding.

Reactions: Alienblood

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Toffoli last 6 years: 49 points per 82 games pace or 2.19 points per 60 mins - 53.6 CF%
Backlund last 6 years: 48 points per 82 games pace or 1.99 points per 60 mins - 52.8 CF%

Toffoli has outproduced Backlund in pace and p/60 over the last 6 years. always makes me laugh when people just spew lies as facts lol
2015/16 to 2020/21(the last 6 seasons)

Backlund- 446 games, 269 points
Toffoli- 429 games, 261 points

That's just reality. Point projections don't help you win hockey games, if the player doesn't play the games. They actually have identical point totals including this year. Toffoli has 3 more 5 on 5 points, which kinda surprised me but those are the cold, hard numbers

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If Winnipeg is in the playoff hunt, what would need to be added to a 1st + Beaulieu for them to acquire Tyler Toffoli at 50% retention at or before the TDL?

To WPG:
Tyler Toffoli (2,125,000 retained)

To MTL:
‘21 1st
Nathan Beaulieu (must be included for cap reasons)
????

This is assuming he comes back with no issues after his hand surgery.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If Winnipeg is in the playoff hunt, what would need to be added to a 1st + Beaulieu for them to acquire Tyler Toffoli at 50% retention at or before the TDL?

To WPG:

To MTL:
‘21 1st
????

Seems a bit low for Toffoli 50% retained. That's probably closer to his value without retention. The difference should be more or less the value of 2+ years of retention, which likely won't be all that cheap.

Reactions: Dutronc

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Yeah the Habs can't be retaining on someone with great value when we have Petry/Price to think about. I find it highly unlikely that the Habs would retain on 3 major contracts maybe one or two if the price is good.

Reactions: Dutronc

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Chiarot and toffoli and probably the 2 player with the best value right now.

Price habs will have to absorb cap space probably at least 2.5 and over 2.5M its too much retention for a real gain.

Savard you cant trade a guy you sign 4 years after like 60 game, if you do it good luck in the future to signan other free agent...

Drouin maybe get a 2nd or 3rd round pick

Petry 6.5 M for a 34 whos playing awful hockey, good luck to trade him.

Armia depht player overpaid like byron, they will not be able to do anything good with armia right now.

Hoffman maybe someone will want to take a chance but dont expect a big return

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

To WPG:

To MTL:
‘21 1st
????

A 1st? No thanks. Toffoli is not going to push the Jets to contender status.

50% retention is a pretty good value though with 2 more years.

Last edited:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Tafolli would be okay, but I can't see Montreal retaining for 3 years. Winnipeg should also not be moving their first in any deal.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

To WPG:

To MTL:
‘21 1st
????

For 50% retention? Depends on how high that 1st is. But I'm not convinced that a mid-round 1st and a cap dump does it for the Habs with no retention at all.

50% retention means that a team gets Toffoli for 3 cup runs for an AAV of 2.125 mil. That's going to cost substantially more (both for the relative value and the retention on term). To the point that Winnipeg shouldn't even bother.

Reactions: BatVader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad