Proposal: Habs rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Price has a super high ceiling and a super low floor. For $10.5mm per, he’s insanely overpaid for how bad he’s been the past four years in totality. He has, on the whole, been a below average starter. His sub 91% save % is a massive red flag. As is this knee injury at his age and this addiction issue. There is so much smoke around Price. It’s fire.

It should be so unbelievably beyond obvious by now every fan base has a far lower opinion on the value of Price than the Habs fans do. Which screams out the Habs need to keep Price for the balance of his contract as your goalie. He’s most valuable, by far, to the team he’s already on. Give up the proposals and accept that.

the refs suspension of the NHL rule book last playoffs played a huge role the Habs and Islanders making it as far as they did. The massive amount of uncalled cross checking that was permitted created games that had far fewer high danger scoring chances than a typical game that should have had more PPs and less illegal defensive stick work. Price was excellent but several other factors carried the Habs as well.

my favorite was the MAF giveaway that handed the Habs the conference finals series when Vegas had it about sewn up. As someone that doesn’t like the Knights, I Lol’d so hard when that happened.

Yeah man I couldn't believe it when that one play won 4 games for Montreal, crazy stuff

NHL GMs know Carey Price and what he offers, one of the best playoff performers in the league

Reactions: loadie

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Doesn't
I guess the Oilers should get Gretzky out of retirement . How many player scored 92 goals in a season ? How many players how players have 4 season with 200 points or more ? Carey Price isn't the same guy that he was 8 years ago . There no argument to be made so not sure why a gold medal is even mention .
Doesn't price have a gold medal and Wayne doesn't??? LOL... wasting the 2 nest offensive players in the world prime years behind very average goaltending seems like a way to multiple cups....let's give a tiny history lesson, GM Rutherford knew the penguins needed something in 2016. Went and overpaid f9r Kessel amd the rest is history.....

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Tafolli would be okay, but I can't see Montreal retaining for 3 years. Winnipeg should also not be moving their first in any deal.

Jets will have a hard time getting back into a playoff spot at this stage, not impossible but it would be hard. Last thing I would do at this stage is blow a 1st rd pick plus on a aging winger (turning 30 in April) when the Jets are doubtful to make the playoffs anyways. Jets should be keeping that 1st rd pick and prepare for selling off their UFA's (or near UFA's) at the TDL. Jets should be determining/evaluating their current coaching staff and decide what they are going to do with it during the summer. Sign PLD long term, the kid is clearly a stud center and Mark S replacement as our 1C eventually.

Copp 1st rd pick+
Stastny 2nd rd pick+
Toninato late pick
Beaulieu late pick

Reactions: Snowman

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
2015/16 to 2020/21(the last 6 seasons)

Backlund- 446 games, 269 points
Toffoli- 429 games, 261 points

That's just reality. Point projections don't help you win hockey games, if the player doesn't play the games. They actually have identical point totals including this year. Toffoli has 3 more 5 on 5 points, which kinda surprised me but those are the cold, hard numbers
Even in this example not counting recent season (wonder why lol) toffoli still has a better p/g in way less minutes played. your point is moot.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If Winnipeg is in the playoff hunt, what would need to be added to a 1st + Beaulieu for them to acquire Tyler Toffoli at 50% retention at or before the TDL?

To WPG:
Tyler Toffoli (2,125,000 retained)

To MTL:
‘21 1st
Nathan Beaulieu (must be included for cap reasons)
????

This is assuming he comes back with no issues after his hand surgery.

Calgary was doing 1st + 2nd + Pitlick (cap) for Toffoli, so Toffoli at 50% would probably cost 1st + 2nd + another asset on top of Beaulieu

Reactions: BatVader

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Tafolli would be okay, but I can't see Montreal retaining for 3 years. Winnipeg should also not be moving their first in any deal.

Montreal have no issues retaining on 2.5 years if the return is better. We won’t be retaining on 3.5+ years contract (Price, Gallagher) though we could take on 2-4 years undesired contract off someone if it facilitate a trade for those two

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
On the Avs he isn't barring injury. He isn't out producing any of the Avs top 6
Actually he's tied with your lowest pt getter in your top 6.
Habs GF-71
Avs GF-115.
That's a possible 134 more pts to spread around Avs players.
But that wouldn't have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Even in this example not counting recent season (wonder why lol) toffoli still has a better p/g in way less minutes played. your point is moot.
You mean the current season, that's barely 30 games in? The point is 100% factual, Backlund has 8 more points than Toffoli, over the last 6 season. He also plays a shutdown role against the oppositions most skilled players and it is not a small sample size. You don't have to like it but it doesn't make less true. If anything the excess minutes work in Backlund's favor because it shows how heavily he's relied upon on the PK and in a shutdown role.

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary was doing 1st + 2nd + Pitlick (cap) for Toffoli, so Toffoli at 50% would probably cost 1st + 2nd + another asset on top of Beaulieu
This is just my offer though, tbf I like Toffoli a lot (wanted him when Vancouver traded for him, then as a free agent, and again now). Calgary also has a sever lack of RHS in the top 9 which Toffoli can help fix

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Actually he's tied with your lowest pt getter in your top 6.
Habs GF-71
Avs GF-115.
That's a possible 134 more pts to spread around Avs players.
But that wouldn't have nothing to do with it.

He has benefited from playing 8 more games than Nichushkin, so I'll give him that.

By that metric Ryan Johanson has the same points as MacKinnon so clearly RyJo could possibly push MacK to the #3 role considering Kadri is on fire right now

Reactions: Alienblood

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Price will get interest from the Oilers and Colorado as he should. Multiple teams would be interested in the D the habs have . Hoffman will be a hard sell.

Oilers would be interested in Carey if....The Price Is Right !!! :laugh:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Jets will have a hard time getting back into a playoff spot at this stage, not impossible but it would be hard. Last thing I would do at this stage is blow a 1st rd pick plus on a aging winger (turning 30 in April) when the Jets are doubtful to make the playoffs anyways. Jets should be keeping that 1st rd pick and prepare for selling off their UFA's (or near UFA's) at the TDL. Jets should be determining/evaluating their current coaching staff and decide what they are going to do with it during the summer. Sign PLD long term, the kid is clearly a stud center and Mark S replacement as our 1C eventually.

Copp 1st rd pick+
Stastny 2nd rd pick+
Toninato late pick
Beaulieu late pick
I totally agree. While Tafolli would be a nice luxury, he's not a piece the Jets need at this time and isn't someone Winnipeg should be pursuing. Especially, if the return expected includes their 1st.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I totally agree. While Tafolli would be a nice luxury, he's not a piece the Jets need at this time and isn't someone Winnipeg should be pursuing. Especially, if the return expected includes their 1st.

Agreed

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
That trade sinks Colorado’s chances at a cup this season and the next four after it. Adding Price at $7.5mm and Drouin for Newhook, Kuemper and EJ makes the Avs a significantly worse team for the next several seasons. Worse in every way. Worse defensively, worse offensively and worse in net with the terrible Price contract costing them valued cap space they can spend smarter on better players.

Avs could likely just extend Kuemper for half of what Price makes. Avs don’t need Kulak for their AHL team and certainly don’t need Drouin in their bottom six with his lack of scoring and defensively inept game. Drouin isn’t even close to as good a player as Burakovsky and far far worse than Nichushkin so he’s got zero shot at a top six role in Colorado.

the only two players the Habs have the Avs would want are Suzuki and Caufield. But no way would I trade Newhook for Caufield straight up. So remove Price, Kuemper, Drouin and replace with Suzuki and now we’re getting somewhere.

EJ, Newhook and 2023 1st for Suzuki. That’s a deal I’d make. That’s fair value. A second line winger on ELC, top 4 D with two years left on his deal and a late 1st for a 2C on long term contract.
For this year it would depend on which Price shows up. Colorado would do due diligence before making the trade. With his A game Price could mean a cup for the Avs. A trade would not occur till the trade deadline and if done in season so all parties would have idea as to where he is. What is he worth? As much or slightly more than the second best offer providing it meets what ever threshold the Habs have whether it be high or low. As reminder as you seem to lack a bit knowledge of a past trade of goaltender between the two teams. When Roy went to the Avs we thought he was done. Think you got your money's worth on that one. Of course you can go the course and be on the golf course after the second round each year but that would be your choice of course.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Boys i'd take a bottom 6er that sits at 43rd in pts of all LW's in the league. Your hatred and lack of knowledge of the Habs and their players is just Laughable.
my hatred is just beaten by your lack of reading comprehension. my reply was towards a post, which included:

'He can play down the lineup and have no pressure.'

so the intion of that post was exactly to not play drouin in the top 6, which would help his play. my reply was strictly about drouin's cap hit in a bottom 6 role.

but you are right i wouldn't want drouin on my team and most habs fans agree. they would like to see him getting traded, if he would bring back anything of value.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
You mean the current season, that's barely 30 games in? The point is 100% factual, Backlund has 8 more points than Toffoli, over the last 6 season. He also plays a shutdown role against the oppositions most skilled players and it is not a small sample size. You don't have to like it but it doesn't make less true. If anything the excess minutes work in Backlund's favor because it shows how heavily he's relied upon on the PK and in a shutdown role.
so by your logic,

player 1: 50 points in 60 games - 2000 mins played
player 2: 51 points in 82 games - 3000 mins played

player 2 is the better performer as he scored more points.

way to ignore literally every important piece of contextual info.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
so by your logic,

player 1: 50 points in 60 games - 2000 mins played
player 2: 51 points in 82 games - 3000 mins played

player 2 is the better performer as he scored more points.

way to ignore literally every important piece of contextual info.
My logic is quite simple, and try to stay with me, Backlund has produced more points than Toffoli over the last 6 seasons. If Toffoli played your imaginary minutes, in your imaginary games, he may have produced more but he didn't play the games and his coaches didn't put him on the ice for the extra minutes, opposed to Backlund's coaches who did want him on the ice for the big minutes. So in the imaginary world, yes Toffoli could've out produced Backlund but that just didn't happen in reality.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This is just my offer though, tbf I like Toffoli a lot (wanted him when Vancouver traded for him, then as a free agent, and again now). Calgary also has a sever lack of RHS in the top 9 which Toffoli can help fix
And i would do Toffoli for 1st + 2nd + Pitlick (cap)
Beats out all the low ball proposals in this thread.
With the Habs going in the rebuilding direction i would gladly do this.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Price has a super high ceiling and a super low floor. For $10.5mm per, he’s insanely overpaid for how bad he’s been the past four years in totality. He has, on the whole, been a below average starter. His sub 91% save % is a massive red flag. As is this knee injury at his age and this addiction issue. There is so much smoke around Price. It’s fire.

It should be so unbelievably beyond obvious by now every fan base has a far lower opinion on the value of Price than the Habs fans do. Which screams out the Habs need to keep Price for the balance of his contract as your goalie. He’s most valuable, by far, to the team he’s already on. Give up the proposals and accept that.

the refs suspension of the NHL rule book last playoffs played a huge role the Habs and Islanders making it as far as they did. The massive amount of uncalled cross checking that was permitted created games that had far fewer high danger scoring chances than a typical game that should have had more PPs and less illegal defensive stick work. Price was excellent but several other factors carried the Habs as well.

my favorite was the MAF giveaway that handed the Habs the conference finals series when Vegas had it about sewn up. As someone that doesn’t like the Knights, I Lol’d so hard when that happened.
It was 1-1. How is a 2-1 series lead "about sewn up" lmao clueless.

Besides Price gave a complete softie the following game, a game in which the Habs dominated esp defensively. They were cruising to an easy win. Vgk had no offensive pressure whatsoever

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I see reading comprehension wasn’t a big issue in most schools.
Only two responders were actually able to grasped the difference between a question and a statement.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
My logic is quite simple, and try to stay with me, Backlund has produced more points than Toffoli over the last 6 seasons. If Toffoli played your imaginary minutes, in your imaginary games, he may have produced more but he didn't play the games and his coaches didn't put him on the ice for the extra minutes, opposed to Backlund's coaches who did want him on the ice for the big minutes. So in the imaginary world, yes Toffoli could've out produced Backlund but that just didn't happen in reality.
how does that differ from my last post? your logic makes no sense and it is evidenced by you essentially agreeing with what i said in my last post lol. your point is the below.

cole caufield has 7 points this year
nikita kucherov has 4 points this year

caufield is a better producer than kucherov

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
how does that differ from my last post? your logic makes no sense and it is evidenced by you essentially agreeing with what i said in my last post lol. your point is the below.

cole caufield has 7 points this year
nikita kucherov has 4 points this year

caufield is a better producer than kucherov
Well, for starters, 6 years is a substantially bigger sample size than 30 games. Second, no could've, would've, or should've replace reality. I mean we are talking about a near 450 game sample size lol. It's literally half a career, and could haves, don't make up for what really happened, over that time frame.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Well, for starters, 6 years is a substantially bigger sample size than 30 games. Second, no could've, would've, or should've replace reality. I mean we are talking about a near 450 game sample size lol. It's literally half a career, and could haves, don't make up for what really happened, over that time frame.
so you want to take into account sample size but not minutes played, total games played or ppg??? way to completely ignore every stat that makes your argument baseless lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad