Proposal: Habs rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
so you want to take into account sample size but not minutes played, total games played or ppg??? way to completely ignore every stat that makes your argument baseless lol
Ummm, Toffoli is 29 years old, it's pretty safe to say that those are the minutes that he's capable of playing. Adjusting point totals, based on TOI, is just ridiculous when he quite clearly doesn't, and won't see that much TOI. If you want to pro-rate the 17 game difference between the two, that's fine with me but it still doesn't change the outcome from the last 6 years. It will never be more than opinion and you can choose the path....will he be hot or will he be not! Will you get the Toffoli that hit the score sheet 10 times, scoring half his points in 3 of them or will you get the Toffoli that failed to register a point in 16 of his 26 games this year? You choose your own adventure, because it's all fantasy from here. It doesn't change anything and projecting points, for streaky players, is about as silly as your TOI argument.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My point was more its not necessarily what "Calgary is offering" It was what I am fine offering
We have a deal. Toffoli for Flames 1st pick in 2022, 2nd round pick in 2024 and Pitlick. Zero retained. High probability Toffoli be traded. Now see what kind of deal the Habs management team can make?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
We have a deal. Toffoli for Flames 1st pick in 2022, 2nd round pick in 2024 and Pitlick. Zero retained. High probability Toffoli be traded. Now see what kind of deal the Habs management team can make?
I wish. I would love this trade as a Hab fan.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
If the Habs can get a second rounder for Lehkonen they better take it. I love his work ethic but keep in mind he was a healthy scratch for some games in the playoffs last year. He has very limited offensive skills. A player like him can be found on the free agency market in the summer or replaced from within the organization.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
How about Anderson? I know he has another 5yrs after this season but would they consider moving him if they do go rebuild? And if so, what’s the cost?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs can get a second rounder for Lehkonen they better take it. I love his work ethic but keep in mind he was a healthy scratch for some games in the playoffs last year. He has very limited offensive skills. A player like him can be found on the free agency market in the summer or replaced from within the organization.

I think they can get a 2nd rounder for Lehkonen. But he's not at the top of the list of guys we want to trade. Habs will be retaining guys 25+ and 30+ in the rebuild so there is a good chance Lehkonen stays. He has one RFA year left after this year and another option is retaining him on a 3 year deal during our rebuild. We are not going to replace everyone with 20 year olds.

We could get a 2nd rounder or more down the road if we trade him at age 28 for example. He is not an offensive type but he is a very good skater and hard worker and there would be interest depending on his AAV on an extension. His 200' maturity is valued by coaches

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How about Anderson? I know he has another 5yrs after this season but would they consider moving him if they do go rebuild? And if so, what’s the cost?

Some Habs fans would trade Anderson but a lot would not. Think pry away value or he stays and he is still with us after our rebuild. We would consider moving him if we are offered something we can't refuse but if any other fan or team thinks you can acquire for cheap cause the Habs are selling, it won't work. Guys like Anderson are rare and hard to acquire. Habs were not the only team knocking on the door to acquire him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs start their rebuild. Chiarot be next. Petry likely go also. Lekhonen??

Chiarot and Kulak probably moved at the deadline (pending UFA's). Then it's a guess on who else will be moved and I think it comes down to the offers we get. If they are low, we retain and try to make trades at the draft and off season. It's going to be a 1/1 review on who calls and what player they are after.

I doubt the Habs will have a liquidation sale and are in a hurry to do so. Some fans are emotionally attached to a rebuild and the Habs have not even hired a new GM yet. For all we know, they sell on pending UFA's and try to improve the team in the off season. Not many Habs fans would even consider talking about that possible outcome. I can only imagine the back lash management gets if they don't rebuild.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i'd sooner see gallagher go before petry . give petry a year to heal and come back healthy with a healthy team and his value will return. no need to sell low on him

The Habs will have to indicate their direction after they hire a GM, Head Scout, and AGM. If they go full rebuild mode, I'm sure they will have conversations to all 3 of Price, Gallagher, and Petry and I bet all 3 want out. How long will it take to move them? Hard to say and it would come down to what deal makes sense at any give point of time with other GM's calling and how things would develop.

I do agree that I would trade Gallagher before Petry but it's complicated due to cap space, player trends, and how serious teams are for any 3 of those contracts that have lots of term left. If some other team calls about Petry and offers value, we have to engage. It's the ones who think they can get us to retain 50% and also take back crap is where the phone is put down

My personally strategy is to offer a 50% retention sale on all 3 of them but we get solid futures in return. It's about $10M - $12M of retention for 3-5 years and Habs wont' need that cap space during rebuild years. Heck, we had $8M-$10M of unused cap space for several years when we were a bubble team after we let Markov and Radulov go.

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
Kuemper is actively playing NHL hockey while Price is out for the foreseeable future after knee surgery/drug rehab/therapy with no solid timetable on when/if he's actually going to return this season. Plus, we already have Kuemper on the roster and don't need to deplete our prospect pool or potentially ruin our cap structure to acquire him. Why exactly would I have any interest in Price? For that matter, why would anyone pick him right now?
He has been skating for a few weeks now and he would have been the starter for team Canada at the Olympics. Doug Armstrong was pretty clear about that. Some people here just don’t know the player, that is all.

I would keep Carey if he wants to stay.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Chiarot and Kulak probably moved at the deadline (pending UFA's). Then it's a guess on who else will be moved and I think it comes down to the offers we get. If they are low, we retain and try to make trades at the draft and off season. It's going to be a 1/1 review on who calls and what player they are after.

I doubt the Habs will have a liquidation sale and are in a hurry to do so. Some fans are emotionally attached to a rebuild and the Habs have not even hired a new GM yet. For all we know, they sell on pending UFA's and try to improve the team in the off season. Not many Habs fans would even consider talking about that possible outcome. I can only imagine the back lash management gets if they don't rebuild.
Gentleman’s bet.

I say the only two trades the Habs make before the deadline are these two:

chariot at 50% retention for a 2022 1st from a contender. Maybe even Toronto.

Lehkonen with no retention for a 2022 3rd rounder.

Habs trade NONE of the following this season: Price, Gallagher, Hoffman, Petry, Drouin, Toffoli or Anderson.

Allen is a wildcard. I’m not sure what happens with him. I think he’s got trade potential.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Gentleman’s bet.

Habs trade NONE of the following this season: Price, Gallagher, Hoffman, Petry, Drouin, Toffoli or Anderson.

Allen is a wildcard. I’m not sure what happens with him. I think he’s got trade potential.
I think that Chariot (late 1st + 2023 2nd)
Kulak (3rd)
Paquette + Perreault (late picks) are the one 100% traded.

i wouldn’t be surprise to see a bigger contract traded this season. It won’t be Drouin, Byron or Hoffman because they have no value.

it could see toffoli (good contract and productive)

i think we keep Allen this year because it’s not clear what it going on with Price

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think that Chariot (late 1st + 2023 2nd)
Kulak (3rd)
Paquette + Perreault (late picks) are the one 100% traded.

i wouldn’t be surprise to see a bigger contract traded this season. It won’t be Drouin, Byron or Hoffman because they have no value.

it could see toffoli (good contract and productive)

i think we keep Allen this year because it’s not clear what it going on with Price
Toffoli would also be my guess of the contract with term Habs can shed most easily and for some value.

dont expect a 3rd on Kulak. He’s not really an NHL quality defender. Maybe a 4th but probably a 5th is all he’ll net. He’s a 7th-8th guy on most playoff teams.

you won’t be getting a 1st and 2nd on Chairot. But a late 1st is doable with 50% retention.

Reactions: Vachon23

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He has been skating for a few weeks now and he would have been the starter for team Canada at the Olympics. Doug Armstrong was pretty clear about that. Some people here just don’t know the player, that is all.

I would keep Carey if he wants to stay.

It's great that he's back on the ice, but skating isn't exactly the same as being in net, facing shots in a game situation. He certainly could have been the starter, but that whole "being healthy enough to actually play" thing is kind of a prerequisite that we need to actually see before we simply assume that it definitely would have happened within the available timeline. Until he's back on the ice and actually playing, he's simply not a viable choice in net.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Gentleman’s bet.

Its pretty unlikely Montreal would trade Lehkonen for a 3rd. Guys with his profile generally go for more and he's not a rental.

Price, Gallagher, Hoffman, Petry, Drouin, Toffoli or Anderson won't be traded this season because none of them are rentals.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Its pretty unlikely Montreal would trade Lehkonen for a 3rd. Guys with his profile generally go for more and he's not a rental.

Price, Gallagher, Hoffman, Petry, Drouin, Toffoli or Anderson won't be traded this season because none of them are rentals.

He’s hard to value. If the Habs get a 2nd, I won’t be shocked. It’s possible. He’s still an RFA.

A 1st and 2nd for Chairot. That I am confident won’t occur.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He’s hard to value. If the Habs get a 2nd, I won’t be shocked. It’s possible. He’s still an RFA.

A 1st and 2nd for Chairot. That I am confident won’t occur.

Is he? He's basically the same player as Janmark (skilled player, limited offense, a ton of defensive value) and Janmark got a 2nd+ last season.

Reactions: CapSpace

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gentleman’s bet.

I'm not making that bet cause I agree with you for the most part. I think Chiarot and Kulak get moved and not sure if Lehkonen gets moved as well at the deadline. But moving others will take developing circumstances and it's wishful thinking that it happens in season. Possible yes but I would not bet on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad