Proposal: Habs rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
in a cap league an overpaid bottom 6er is the opposite of a need for a contender. the avs (and all other contenders) look for cap efficient players to round out their line-up. tampa paid first rounders for coleman and goodrow and let them walk once they hit the open market for new contracts.
when drouin's current contract is up, a contender might tries to sign him on the cheap as reclamation project on a two or three year contract.
Boys i'd take a bottom 6er that sits at 43rd in pts of all LW's in the league. Your hatred and lack of knowledge of the Habs and their players is just Laughable.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To Colorado:
-Carey Price ($3 mil retained per season)
-Jonathan Drouin
-Brett Kulak
-2022 3rd round pick

To Montreal:
-Alex Newhook
-Erik Johnson
-Darcy Kuemper
-1st round pick 2023
You could add Suzuki and remove Alex Newhook and Avs still say no. You are so outrageously far off on value.

Newhook is already better than Drouin and a more well rounded player on an ELC. EJ is vastly better than Kulak. Kuemper is better than Price. Avs 1st is better than Habs 3rd..

Your trade makes the Avs much worse on defense, worse in net and much worse at forward. And ruins their cap situation. The Avs don’t need or want either of Drouin or Price and they surely don’t need Kulak to play for their AHL team. Give it a rest.

Last edited:

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
You could add Suzuki and remove Alex Newhook and Avs still say no. You are so outrageously far off on value.

Newhook is already better than Drouin and a more well rounded player on an ELC. EJ is vastly better than Kulak. Kuemper is better than Price. Avs 1st is better than Habs 3rd..

Your trade makes the Avs much worse on defense, worse in net and much worse at forward. And ruins their cap situation. The Avs don’t need or want either of Drouin or Price and they surely don’t need Kulak to play for their AHL team. Give it a rest.

Colorado makes this trade if they think this gets them a shot at the cup. It's all about the motivation. If they won the cup with this trade and are in it for another two or would you do it even with the risk a bit farther down the road?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Boys i'd take a bottom 6er that sits at 43rd in pts of all LW's in the league. Your hatred and lack of knowledge of the Habs and their players is just Laughable.

It has nothing to do with hatred. Remove the salary cap and every team would take a skilled bottom 6'er who is on a $5.5m cap
Avs can't afford $5.5m on the 3rd line.
It is almost certain that he would not be able to supplant any of the Avs top 6 wingers in the lineup much less be an upgrade on them.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
1st 2nd and Pitlick for cap
Seems a little steep and there could be some serious cap implications beyond this year. I really don't see the Habs rebuilding either. As horrible as it has been, they're not even a year removed from the finals and as hard as it is for me to admit, I liked the make up of that team, they just lack star power. If the woes continue this year, they could very well add that missing star power at the draft. What about a hockey trade?

Backlund + Zadorov for Toffoli + Chiarot

Montreal gets the veteran, defensive center, who can still put up 40 points, while sheltering and mentoring the kids.
Flames run a Mangi-Dube-Toffoli 2nd line, which should be tough to handle and keep our deadline currency for a bonified center upgrade.

Ledge And Dairy

Seems a little steep and there could be some serious cap implications beyond this year. I really don't see the Habs rebuilding either. As horrible as it has been, they're not even a year removed from the finals and as hard as it is for me to admit, I liked the make up of that team, they just lack star power. If the woes continue this year, they could very well add that missing star power at the draft. What about a hockey trade?

Montreal gets the veteran, defensive center, who can still put up 40 points, while sheltering and mentoring the kids.
Flames run a Mangi-Dube-Toffoli 2nd line, which should be tough to handle and keep our deadline currency for a bonified center upgrade.
Yeah I strongly disagree with your take and proposal here. Montreal had a miracle run to the finals before their entire teams depth got gutted in the offseason, thats not even including Weber being done and the unknowns on Price. They may not full rebuild but they so probably dont want to be like Dallas right now after their run.

That proposal is really bad for Calgary. Dube was not very good at center for starters and Backlund >> Toffoli. Chiarot and Big Z are a wash

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

Nope Habs are rebuilding. There is no point in bringing in Jeff if it was not for a rebuild especially when it was a multi year deal that the Habs don't want to let out to the public.

Ledge And Dairy

Yeah I strongly disagree with your take and proposal here. Montreal had a miracle run to the finals before their entire teams depth got gutted in the offseason, thats not even including Weber being done and the unknowns on Price. They may not full rebuild but they so probably dont want to be like Dallas right now after their run.

That proposal is really bad for Calgary. Dube was not very good at center for starters and Backlund >> Toffoli. Chiarot and Big Z are a wash

Calgary has lots of cap space to work with next year and Tre is one of the best RFA negotiators in the league. Furthermore Lucic's contract becomes very movable too after his final bonus is paid.

It's fine if you think that proposal is an overpay but I don't. Toffoli is a solid 2nd line winger on a good contract for a few years. That is less than what Tampa paid for Blake Coleman

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Colorado makes this trade if they think this gets them a shot at the cup. It's all about the motivation. If they won the cup with this trade and are in it for another two or would you do it even with the risk a bit farther down the road?
That trade sinks Colorado’s chances at a cup this season and the next four after it. Adding Price at $7.5mm and Drouin for Newhook, Kuemper and EJ makes the Avs a significantly worse team for the next several seasons. Worse in every way. Worse defensively, worse offensively and worse in net with the terrible Price contract costing them valued cap space they can spend smarter on better players.

Avs could likely just extend Kuemper for half of what Price makes. Avs don’t need Kulak for their AHL team and certainly don’t need Drouin in their bottom six with his lack of scoring and defensively inept game. Drouin isn’t even close to as good a player as Burakovsky and far far worse than Nichushkin so he’s got zero shot at a top six role in Colorado.

the only two players the Habs have the Avs would want are Suzuki and Caufield. But no way would I trade Newhook for Caufield straight up. So remove Price, Kuemper, Drouin and replace with Suzuki and now we’re getting somewhere.

EJ, Newhook and 2023 1st for Suzuki. That’s a deal I’d make. That’s fair value. A second line winger on ELC, top 4 D with two years left on his deal and a late 1st for a 2C on long term contract.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Calgary has lots of cap space to work with next year and Tre is one of the best RFA negotiators in the league. Furthermore Lucic's contract becomes very movable too after his final bonus is paid.

It's fine if you think that proposal is an overpay but I don't. Toffoli is a solid 2nd line winger on a good contract for a few years. That is less than what Tampa paid for Blake Coleman
I'd give Backs a slight edge in value over Toffoli, at this point but I'd prefer Chiarot over Zad in the playoffs, without a doubt.
Adding Toffoli, without dropping longterm salary would leave us with about $6.5 million in cap space, assuming we can move the Lucic contract.....that is a huge risk and quite simply not enough. Johnny and Tkachuk should eat up close to 5 on their own. That leave a couple million for Mangi and Kylington(who is only making 750k this year).

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It has nothing to do with hatred. Remove the salary cap and every team would take a skilled bottom 6'er who is on a $5.5m cap
It is almost certain that he would not be able to supplant any of the Avs top 6 wingers in the lineup much less be an upgrade on them.
Avs forwards that are better to substantially better than Drouin: Mack, Rants, Kadri, Landy, Nuke, Bura, Newhook. Drouin doesn’t PK either. He’d get 30 seconds of PP2 time a few chances a game.

There isn’t an NHL team that makes less sense for Drouin than the Avs. He’d be a stupidly expensive 11 minute a game bottom six forward that sucks defensively. He’d have another of his mental breakdowns given how little he was played for Bednar.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Avs forwards that are better to substantially better than Drouin: Mack, Rants, Kadri, Landy, Nuke, Bura, Newhook. Drouin doesn’t PK either. He’d get 30 seconds of PP2 time a few chances a game.

There isn’t an NHL team that makes less sense for Drouin than the Avs. He’d be a stupidly expensive 11 minute a game bottom six forward that sucks defensively. He’d have another of his mental breakdowns given how little he was played for Bednar.

Really dude? I know you hate all Habs fans and players or whatever but like chill dude.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
But your point is moot because he isn't a bottom 6's He's easily a 2nd liner. as proven by his stats.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Who better? How many others are Olympic gold medalist?

I guess the Oilers should get Gretzky out of retirement . How many player scored 92 goals in a season ? How many players how players have 4 season with 200 points or more ? Carey Price isn't the same guy that he was 8 years ago . There no argument to be made so not sure why a gold medal is even mention .

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I guess the Oilers should get Gretzky out of retirement . How many player scored 92 goals in a season ? How many players how players have 4 season with 200 points or more ? Carey Price isn't the same guy that he was 8 years ago . There no argument to be made so not sure why a gold medal is even mention .
Of course, Price isn't the same player he was 8 years ago, but it's just as egregious that people in this thread are forgetting his playoff run last year.

People in this thread can diminish the payer and his inflated contract all they want, but he carried the Habs to the finals. He turns up when it counts, which holds a lot of weight with most GMs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I’m not going to argue against the rest of your post because it has some legs but man the bolded. They’re not even in the same solar system in terms of impact on the ice.

Habs are 100% rebuilding. Your offer just doesn’t make sense

Ledge And Dairy

I'd give Backs a slight edge in value over Toffoli, at this point but I'd prefer Chiarot over Zad in the playoffs, without a doubt.
Adding Toffoli, without dropping longterm salary would leave us with about $6.5 million in cap space, assuming we can move the Lucic contract.....that is a huge risk and quite simply not enough. Johnny and Tkachuk should eat up close to 5 on their own. That leave a couple million for Mangi and Kylington(who is only making 750k this year).
I think you should try that math again.

Assuming the cap goes up rhe 1M its projected to increase that leaves Calgary with anout 31M cap space to work with this offseason without any moves. After the main FA signings they probably have just around 5M in cap to sign 6-7 depth players/promote players. Trade out Lucic and add Toffoli and its 6M for the depth players.

Chiarot vs Zad is pretty irrelevant since both players are horrible defensively, bottom pair, and just hit hard.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m not going to argue against the rest of your post because it has some legs but man the bolded. They’re not even in the same solar system in terms of impact on the ice.

Habs are 100% rebuilding. Your offer just doesn’t make sense
Kuemper has proven to be a substantially better regular season goalie than Price over the past few seasons.

With Price, you’re rolling the dice his regular season suck and indifference to those 82 games doesn’t bleed into his post season play.

I don’t see any GM making that bet on Price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad