Proposal: Habs rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Once you consider that there will be other sellers and realize there aren't enough contending teams with firsts to acquire all of them, you should consider re-evaluating the viability of your valuations.
Will see. I stand by those. It’s possible some go a little lower and some go a little higher.

But if the Habs take the rebuild road, don’t see why they couldn’t fetch something in the vicinity of those.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
For some reason....Jonathan Drouin to buffalo makes sense to me..... (if cap isn't of concern, i know they have space but just wanting to spend money in general) complete fresh start into a locker room that would view him as one of if not the most purely skilled player on the team....maybe a fresh start with young up and coming linemates like thompson or cozens etc.... could be the change he needs, where mistakes won't get him benched or scratched, confidence in players like a drouin is huge and it's evident he's had none of it for a long time. I wonder if drouin to buffalo for like a 3rd or something would make sense for both teams.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
For some reason....Jonathan Drouin to buffalo makes sense to me..... (if cap isn't of concern, i know they have space but just wanting to spend money in general) complete fresh start into a locker room that would view him as one of if not the most purely skilled player on the team....maybe a fresh start with young up and coming linemates like thompson or cozens etc.... could be the change he needs, where mistakes won't get him benched or scratched, confidence in players like a drouin is huge and it's evident he's had none of it for a long time. I wonder if drouin to buffalo for like a 3rd or something would make sense for both teams.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Once you consider that there will be other sellers and realize there aren't enough contending teams with firsts to acquire all of them, you should consider re-evaluating the viability of your valuations.
there are realistically 11 teams in the east and 11 in the west vying for a playoff spot . each team is usually looking for 2-3 players to enhance their chances . the habs don't need to move that whole list this season . i'm expecting chariot kulak lehkonen and maybe gallagher this year to be sold . next year it'll be drouin byron allen and maybe one or two of price/petry when their value returns to normal. hab fans just gotta realize to do this right it will take 2-3 years and not 1

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Do you really think all these guys are going out in the next 2-3 months? They’re probably all getting traded over the next 2-3 years lmao no one can unload that many players in so little time

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Will see. I stand by those. It’s possible some go a little lower and some go a little higher.

But if the Habs take the rebuild road, don’t see why they couldn’t fetch something in the vicinity of those.
Need to have several buyers and buyers with cap space.

Those two things are both in short supply.

Realistically, the Habs will bring back most of their current team next season. It will take a three seasons for the Habs to retool their roster. It won’t come close to occurring prior to the 2022 draft. Expect just the contracts for Chairot and Lehkonen to be turned into 2022 draft picks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You sure about that? 34 year old defenseman, not exactly known for his defensive play, with 2 assists on the year and signed 3 more years @ $6.25. I have my doubts.

Players with term are seldom traded at, or near, the deadline. Teams want help for this year. They don't want to tie their hands for next year.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Need to have buyers and buyers with cap space. Realistically, the Habs will bring back most of their current team next season. It will take a few seasons for the Habs to retool their roster. It won’t come close to occurring prior to the 2022 draft. Expect just the contracts for Chairot and Lehkonen to be turned into 2022 draft picks.
this is absolutely correct. selling low on guys like price and petry for example would be rediculous . once price's bonus is paid in july it'll be much easier to find a third team to take on some cap because it won't be all real dollars . give him a year to get healthy and any team that shits the bed in the playoffs again because of goaltending will come calling .

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
this is absolutely correct. selling low on guys like price and petry for example would be rediculous . once price's bonus is paid in july it'll be much easier to find a third team to take on some cap because it won't be all real dollars . give him a year to get healthy and any team that shits the bed in the playoffs again because of goaltending will come calling .
Does that make Pitt the surprise dark horse for Price this offseason? Their goalie really was problem #1 last playoffs. Perhaps with Lemiux at the helm.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Does that make Pitt the surprise dark horse for Price? Perhaps with Lemiux at the helm.
to be honest no gm should be risking anything on price this year . next year however COULD be a whole different story

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Realistically, the Habs will bring back most of their current team next season. It will take a three seasons for the Habs to retool their roster. It won’t come close to occurring prior to the 2022 draft. Expect just the contracts for Chairot and Lehkonen to be turned into 2022 draft picks.

Not necessarily. Montreal can take cap dump with 3 or less years left on their deal to make the money work - Especially on deals for Price, Petry and Gallagher. That would help facilitate any deal involving high cap players

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I would put Poehling in the mix. He has a good 1st official year with us but his ceiling still unfit the team's nead. If a team want to securise their actuali line-up and give up more non-established player with higer upside, I would do it, even more if for a dman,

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

I would keep Lehkonen, at first anyway. Home grown, good attitude, works hard, etc. Good to have him around.

Habs will have cap space if they can trade some players.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
we're you on another planet during last year's playoffs ?

Last year's PO Habs were a total fluke. And 22 games do not outweigh the last 5 years anyway.

What has he done since then? Oh yeah, not a game played. Right now, there is no guarantee he will ever play again and if he does how good will he be at age 34? And you think someone is going to want to tie themselves to him for another 4 years after this one?

If he was on an expiring contract it would be very different. The risk to a team's cap management would be much less.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Last year's PO Habs were a total fluke. And 22 games do not outweigh the last 5 years anyway.

What has he done since then? Oh yeah, not a game played. Right now, there is no guarantee he will ever play again and if he does how good will he be at age 34? And you think someone is going to want to tie themselves to him for another 4 years after this one?

If he was on an expiring contract it would be very different. The risk to a team's cap management would be much less.

Over the last 5 years when it really mattered?

- Carried the whole Habs team to the stanley cup finals with a 2.28 GAA and .924 Save %
- Took out Pittsburgh by himself in the playoff bubble with a 1.78 GAA and .938 Save %
- Almost elimited cup favorite by himself in 2017 with a 1.86 GAA and .933 Save %

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

- Carried the whole Habs team to the stanley cup finals with a 2.28 GAA and .924 Save %
- Took out Pittsburgh by himself in the playoff bubble with a 1.78 GAA and .938 Save %
- Almost elimited cup favorite by himself in 2017 with a 1.86 GAA and .933 Save %

Should GMs be bacward-looking or forward-looking?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

2017 was the old Carey Price. :laugh:

So what your saying is that Edmonton should pick him up. Not play him because then they will miss the PO, but once in, give every game and win the Cup for sure. :laugh:

Those little spurts of the old Price should not tempt any GM into acquiring him, unless they are looking to get fired.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
we're not talking a 20-something year old in his prime Price

honestly, MAF prolly makes the most sense
Not really. If the Oilers are going to spend they mays well take a real swing. MAF is an improvement mo doubt but he is a half a season solution at best. Oilers have a chance here f9r a few runs while the big boys still in their prime...John Gibson makes the most sense if the ducks falter

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Not really. If the Oilers are going to spend they mays well take a real swing. MAF is an improvement mo doubt but he is a half a season solution at best. Oilers have a chance here f9r a few runs while the big boys still in their prime...John Gibson makes the most sense if the ducks falter
I was talking about who's rumored to be available.. I don't see ANA trading JG unless it's a MASSIVE overpay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad