Proposal: Habs rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Petry and Toffoli can get 1sts from contenders at the deadline, Drouin maybe if there’s retention and they’re in love with him.

Price with significant retention is immensely appealing to a couple of teams (Edmonton, Colorado and maybe Carolina or San Jose) and a sideways move at best for everyone else. Even at 6 he is injured a lot.

Keep picks, keep guys like Suzuki and Cauffield, eat shit for a few years and draft well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Can the Habs actually properly rebuild with their current roster? Who do they have to build around? They need a young top goalie, and stud d man, and a top line centre. I think Suzuki is the only piece the actually have to build around. He’s excellent.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
would calgary be interested in a straight up swap of gallagher for monohan ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Trading Price would have to involve a third team eating salary.

That becomes a complex puzzle.
this is not the year to contemplate trading carey price . he hasn't played , coming off a surgery and his voluntary entry into the players assistance program has him at a low point in value . next year after a year of healing and getting refocused his value will improve. this combined with the fact that once his bonus is paid in july it will become much easier to find a third team to take on some cap

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Can the Habs actually properly rebuild with their current roster? Who do they have to build around? They need a young top goalie, and stud d man, and a top line centre. I think Suzuki is the only piece the actually have to build around. He’s excellent.

All rebuilds have to start somewhere.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Price will get interest from the Oilers and Colorado as he should. Multiple teams would be interested in the D the habs have . Hoffman will be a hard sell.

Base on what ? No cap ? Holland has never spent big money on a goalie he not about to start on an injured prone goalie that hasn't been good for a few years outside of 1 playoff run .

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The first players I would like to see traded (other then Price)
  • J. Allen: 1st.
  • J. Petry: 2nd + B prospect.
  • B. Chirot: 1st.
  • B. Gallagher: 2nd (+ more. if Habs retain some $)
  • T. Toffoli: 1st + prospect
  • M. Hoffman: A few pucks
So I’m guessing Habs will retain on Price and get at least a 1st.

Too bad they traded for Dvorak…

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Petry - untradeable because of contract/sucks this year

Chariot - 2nd, maybe 1st in a bidding war in a sellers market

Toffoli - 1st but he's having a down year so maybe less than a 1st. I'm sure they'll want to keep him

Armia - untradable because of new contract

Price @ 6 mil - Not gonna happen. Habs aren't retaining that much for that long

Hoffman - first year with the Habs, can't really trade him unless he asks for it.

Poehling - Not worth much, rather keep him at this point

Drouin - A team might take a chance on him, he is very skilled but very soft. Probably a trade vs a decent prospect and a cap dump.

Savard - Negative value right now

That's my 2 cents (Habs fan)
The recency bias on Petry shouldn’t be a factor. He’s been a stud RD for years including last year. This year is a total gong show for the Habs. His contract is good for his value. I can completely see him going to Pittsburgh as Letang leaves

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nice one.

I agree with keeping Petry, (Edmundson too), Tofffoli, and Hoffman.

I would retain $ on Price if he was going to bring back a 1st - Edmonton possibly.

I would send Savard to Vancouver for two seconds in ‘22 and ‘23.

Chiarot for a late first (not sure what team and not sure if they’ll get back a first - it maybe 2 seconds) OR see if you could persuade Colorado to move Girard for Chiarot +(futures).

In the offseason move Drouin to Arizona for one of their 25 second round picks.

Trade Josh Anderson for a good package - ‘22 1st + really good prospect.

keep Armia and Lehtonen if you cannot get something of value - I assume the team will want to compete next season. Rangers might bite on both Armia and Chiarot not sure the gets them Kravtsov.

Kulak for a 3rd.

mall of that draft capital could be used to jettison other contracts or combine to move up in draft or combine to bring in solid vets

Next season -
Hoffman Suzuki Caufield
Toffoli Dvorak Gallagher
Lehtonen Evans Armia
That is a good top 9
With a top 4 of
Edmundson - Petry
Girard (?) - Romanov

Add the picks and prospects from deal.

Girard isn’t available. If Chairot is part of such a deal. He’s barely a +. The base would be Guhle + or Caufield+

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Petry-Hard Yes
Toffoli -could see it easily
Price- fit to play, a 1st is a no brainer
Chiarot- ill bet my bottom dollar he gets a first. Playoff warrior and plays HARD MINUTES.

Taking the rose colored glasses off.

teams are tight against the cap and have short term horizons. If there were UFAs to be or 1+ yrs to UFA there woukd be a better market for them. Not for 3+ yrs and montreal isn’t retaining 3+ yrs.

Price is a cap problem and he’s on the downside of his career. We’ve seen many threads on goalies that have fallen off. Can happen to Price next.

chiarot is not a D that gets a 1st. Historical deadline trades ofUFA to be vet D is a 2nd+. They only way it becomes a 1st if there are criteria such as team makes final 4 then 2 becomes a 1.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

sorry, but I do not see Jake Allen getting a 1st from anyone... he's the definition of 'inconsistent'

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Taking the rose colored glasses off.

teams are tight against the cap and have short term horizons. If there were UFAs to be or 1+ yrs to UFA there woukd be a better market for them. Not for 3+ yrs and montreal isn’t retaining 3+ yrs.

Price is a cap problem and he’s on the downside of his career. We’ve seen many threads on goalies that have fallen off. Can happen to Price next.

chiarot is not a D that gets a 1st. Historical deadline trades ofUFA to be vet D is a 2nd+. They only way it becomes a 1st if there are criteria such as team makes final 4 then 2 becomes a 1.
Habs do not have Cap problems at the moment, ergo Price is not a cap problem. Price played his best hockey of his career in the playoffs last year. How is he on the downslope when his best hockey was performed recently?

And as for this season, he is on LTIR due to personal issues (not performance issues).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Do you see some random 3rd team eating 4+ years of Price AAV?

that’s not complex. That’s a puzzle missing most of its pieces and can’t be assembled. That’s going to be a non starter for 32 NHL teams.
I don't see a 3rd team eating cap. I don't see the Habs trading Price because of his cap. Habs also do not need to trade Price.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I don't see a 3rd team eating cap. I don't see the Habs trading Price because of his cap. Habs also do not need to trade Price.
It’s true they do not need to trade him.

Nevertheless, Gorton said he would talk with Price and this discussion would dictate where to go from here. What was understood by this is that Gorton will ask Price if he wants a shot at the cup or not (aka Lundqvist situation a few years ago).

If Price wants the chance to win a cup, there will definitely be a trade.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Nevertheless, Gorton said he would talk with Price and this discussion would dictate where to go from here. What was understood by this is that Gorton will ask Price if he wants a shot at the cup or not (aka Lundqvist situation a few years ago).

If Price wants a trade than i do see the Management trying to accommodate it but there's no chance that the Habs retain 50% while getting crap in return NOT A CHANCE.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

lol Gally gets you a 2nd ?
Come on now :thumbd:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Nope - with the cap retention needed, “definitely a trade “ is not realistic at all.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Once you consider that there will be other sellers and realize there aren't enough contending teams with firsts to acquire all of them, you should consider re-evaluating the viability of your valuations.

Reactions: McJedi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad