Proposal: Habs rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Habs are hosting the 2022 draft.
Habs are *rebuilding* , they want and need first picks for this year.

Players that could help contenders this year for late first picks.
Also Habs have 3 x 3rd picks 2022 that could be put in there .
Could also add some prospect like Norlinder , Ylonen , Harris, Tuck , Struble, Mailloux

Petry
Chariot
Toffoli
Armia
Price @ 6 mil
Hoffman
Poehling
Drouin
Savard

Witch team could use these guys for picks.

You can't burn it all down if you do, you become Buffalo and Buffalo is now rebuilding the rebuild They will hit 15 years before they make the playoffs they have A LOT of holes

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Petry - untradeable because of contract/sucks this year

Chariot - 2nd, maybe 1st in a bidding war in a sellers market

Toffoli - 1st but he's having a down year so maybe less than a 1st. I'm sure they'll want to keep him

Armia - untradable because of new contract

Price @ 6 mil - Not gonna happen. Habs aren't retaining that much for that long

Hoffman - first year with the Habs, can't really trade him unless he asks for it.

Poehling - Not worth much, rather keep him at this point

Drouin - A team might take a chance on him, he is very skilled but very soft. Probably a trade vs a decent prospect and a cap dump.

Savard - Negative value right now

That's my 2 cents (Habs fan)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You can't burn it all down if you do, you become Buffalo and Buffalo is now rebuilding the rebuild They will hit 15 years before they make the playoffs they have A LOT of holes

Smart and possibly only way to do it properly would be to move Price now and then slowly move out the other « aging » pieces over the next 3 years. Pick top 10, hope for a bit of luck in the lottery and cycle off veterans for younger pieces while always keeping a bit of leadership to shelter young guys.

The good news for Montreal is we already have a few good pieces to build off with in Suzuki and Caufield at forward plus Romanov and Guhle at defense. Also, we have a couple of good complementary pieces that are still young and could contribute when we’re ready in Anderson, Evans, Poehling, Dvorak and Edmundson if he’s still around.

What Montreal need is to offload Price, Gallagher, Petry, Toffoli, Hoffman, Drouin over the next 2-3 years. Montreal ability to take on bad short term contract for teams to take on these guys while we get back decent assets will surely help us rebuild the right way.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Upgrade goaltending totally agree, Price is not the solution especially with that contract
Well that depends on multiple things. Money aside he is best goalie available.
The question is how bad do the Oilers want to win and not waste any more prime years ?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Age catches up to everyone. Flames saw it with Gio and Habs fans already saw it with Weber. Unless there's heavy retention, I don't see many good fits for Petry.
He still skates like the wind, effortless stride. Not age related

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Toffoli - 1st but he's having a down year so maybe less than a 1st. I'm sure they'll want to keep him

Hoffman - first year with the Habs, can't really trade him unless he asks for it.

Drouin - A team might take a chance on him, he is very skilled but very soft. Probably a trade vs a decent prospect and a cap dump.

Nice one.

I agree with keeping Petry, (Edmundson too), Tofffoli, and Hoffman.

I would retain $ on Price if he was going to bring back a 1st - Edmonton possibly.

I would send Savard to Vancouver for two seconds in ‘22 and ‘23.

Chiarot for a late first (not sure what team and not sure if they’ll get back a first - it maybe 2 seconds) OR see if you could persuade Colorado to move Girard for Chiarot +(futures).

In the offseason move Drouin to Arizona for one of their 25 second round picks.

Trade Josh Anderson for a good package - ‘22 1st + really good prospect.

keep Armia and Lehtonen if you cannot get something of value - I assume the team will want to compete next season. Rangers might bite on both Armia and Chiarot not sure the gets them Kravtsov.

Kulak for a 3rd.

mall of that draft capital could be used to jettison other contracts or combine to move up in draft or combine to bring in solid vets

Next season -
Hoffman Suzuki Caufield
Toffoli Dvorak Gallagher
Lehtonen Evans Armia
That is a good top 9
With a top 4 of
Edmundson - Petry
Girard (?) - Romanov

Add the picks and prospects from deal.

Reactions: HabsQC

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Weber was a machine during the playoffs despite playing with a career ending injury.
So you're suggesting a team pay a 1st for the hope that Petry can gut out 1 playoff run and then go on LTIR. I know that's not what you were actually suggesting, but last season the asking Price for Weber would have been high and any team making that deal would be screwed because time is the great equalizer. There is a definite level of concern when players hit that mid 30's range and there is drop off in their on ice play. If that player has multiple years left on their deal it is worse. I do think Petry would get a 1st right now but maybe the Weber comparable isn't a great one.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Nice one.

I agree with keeping Petry, (Edmundson too), Tofffoli, and Hoffman.

I would retain $ on Price if he was going to bring back a 1st - Edmonton possibly.

I would send Savard to Vancouver for two seconds in ‘22 and ‘23.

Chiarot for a late first (not sure what team and not sure if they’ll get back a first - it maybe 2 seconds) OR see if you could persuade Colorado to move Girard for Chiarot +(futures).

In the offseason move Drouin to Arizona for one of their 25 second round picks.

Trade Josh Anderson for a good package - ‘22 1st + really good prospect.

keep Armia and Lehtonen if you cannot get something of value - I assume the team will want to compete next season. Rangers might bite on both Armia and Chiarot not sure the gets them Kravtsov.

Kulak for a 3rd.

mall of that draft capital could be used to jettison other contracts or combine to move up in draft or combine to bring in solid vets

Next season -
Hoffman Suzuki Caufield
Toffoli Dvorak Gallagher
Lehtonen Evans Armia
That is a good top 9
With a top 4 of
Edmundson - Petry
Girard (?) - Romanov

Add the picks and prospects from deal.
So a couple concerns here -
1) Vancouver just hired a president that has publicly stated he isn't moving high picks and he wants to build a fast skating team. Solution: trade 2 x 2nds for the slowest defender in the league...

2) If the Habs are getting Girard and Chiarot is part of the package - Chiarot is the cap dump, the + needs to be the value of Girard. Not sure in a potential rebuild the Habs will part with the futures pieces needed to entice the Avs to replace Girard with Chiarot.

3) The Zona deal isn't the way the Yotes work. They take on other teams cap hit players and want picks in return for absorbing the cap hit. The cap hit also needs to higher than actual cash owed. That deal would need to be Drouin + 2nd for a 5th in order to get the Yotes attention.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
So a couple concerns here -
1) Vancouver just hired a president that has publicly stated he isn't moving high picks and he wants to build a fast skating team. Solution: trade 2 x 2nds for the slowest defender in the league...

2) If the Habs are getting Girard and Chiarot is part of the package - Chiarot is the cap dump, the + needs to be the value of Girard. Not sure in a potential rebuild the Habs will part with the futures pieces needed to entice the Avs to replace Girard with Chiarot.

3) The Zona deal isn't the way the Yotes work. They take on other teams cap hit players and want picks in return for absorbing the cap hit. The cap hit also needs to higher than actual cash owed. That deal would need to be Drouin + 2nd for a 5th in order to get the Yotes attention.

Here is my reasoning -
1. Nucks need RHD - adding Savard improves the PK and allows a solid pairing for Hughes. It’s funny they want a faster skating team and somehow the slowest defender in the league Luke Schenn is getting more time under Boudreau

2. I wouldn’t call Chiarot a cap dump - he’d be a key playoff acquisition. Toews, Byram, And Girard on paper look great, but Chiarot is exactly what they need in the playoffs. MTL gets a young PMD - yes they would have to give something as well but adding Chiarot would mean that + is less. But, we may not see eye to eye on this - I think Chiarot is NOT a cap dump - if you feel he will garner a good return at the TDL, then why not expand a deal and get someone for today and tomorrow.

3. yes - zona hasn’t done a move like this but they will need to reach the floor and hey have so many picks - they could use some of those picks to buy low on someone like Drouin, who may be able to bounce back in a less pressure filled environment.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Here is my reasoning -
1. Nucks need RHD - adding Savard improves the PK and allows a solid pairing for Hughes. It’s funny they want a faster skating team and somehow the slowest defender in the league Luke Schenn is getting more time under Boudreau

2. I wouldn’t call Chiarot a cap dump - he’d be a key playoff acquisition. Toews, Byram, And Girard on paper look great, but Chiarot is exactly what they need in the playoffs. MTL gets a young PMD - yes they would have to give something as well but adding Chiarot would mean that + is less. But, we may not see eye to eye on this - I think Chiarot is NOT a cap dump - if you feel he will garner a good return at the TDL, then why not expand a deal and get someone for today and tomorrow.

3. yes - zona hasn’t done a move like this but they will need to reach the floor and hey have so many picks - they could use some of those picks to buy low on someone like Drouin, who may be able to bounce back in a less pressure filled environment.

1 - Schenn doesn't cost 2 x 2nds - he's playing because he was already on the team and we have injuries to Poolman and Hamonic- the team with a brutal right side so the solution is to add another slow plug signed for multiple years and give up 2 second rounders. Yes the Canucks need RHD, if they go after a 30+ year old defender that has significantly slowed in recent years and give up valuable assets to acquire, it will be a complete failure of the new management group. Savard is a 3rd pairing guy if your team has serious playoff dreams. Montreal needs a replacement for Weber - how about 2 x 2nds for Myers. My reasoning being Habs need RHD - adding Myers improves their right side.....

2 - In a deal for Girard, Chiarot is not the most valuable piece. Not really a dump, but definitely not the big piece in a trade for Girard. Regardless of how you think the left side of the Avs D looks Girard is far more valuable than Chiarot. So if you meant the plus to be a 1st + good prospect - then maybe the Avs consider, but the gap between 23 year old Girard signed for 5.5 more years at a very good cap number and 30 year old UFA to be Chiarot is significant. I can't think of a rental trade that netted a team a proven 23 year old #3 NHL dman signed long term so those +'s better have some serious value.

3 - There will be teams lining up to off load contracts in the off season. Paying full value for Drouin doesn't seem like the type of move the Yotes are making right now. 1 year of play on a rebuilding team doesn't add value, they would be lucky to get their 2nd back at the trade deadline. I see the Yotes doing very similar trades to this off season where they add picks to take on other teams cap problems. This past season they added Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Ladd, Stralman and Gostisbehere in exchange for Garland (who needed a new contract), rid themselves of the OEL contract, 1st round pick, 5 x 2nd round picks, 3rd round pick, 2 x 7th round picks, and a prospect. Why would they have any interest to pay a 2nd for Drouin, when they could get a player with a similar cap hit, slightly less offense but also collect 2 x 2nds in the deal. The Yotes aren't 1 Drouin away from being a cup contender. I don't see Arizona at the point of this re-build where they are using assets to acquire 1 year rentals.

Reactions: Gman88

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Habs are hosting the 2022 draft.
Habs are *rebuilding* , they want and need first picks for this year.

Players that could help contenders this year for late first picks.
Also Habs have 3 x 3rd picks 2022 that could be put in there .
Could also add some prospect like Norlinder , Ylonen , Harris, Tuck , Struble, Mailloux

Petry
Chariot
Toffoli
Armia
Price @ 6 mil
Hoffman
Poehling
Drouin
Savard

Witch team could use these guys for picks.

only guy you’re getting a 1st round pick for from that list is Chairot and that assumes 50% retention. None of the rest would return a 1st. A couple of those guys are negative value contracts. The longer the contract, the less valuable it is and harder it will be to move.

a little surprised Lehkonen isn’t listed. It’s your pending UFAs that have the most realistic trade potential/ value. I agree with the guy above that noted Allen may have some value, especially if he starts to play better than he has so far this year.

if anyone wanted a Hoffman, he’d have been signed by that team as a UFA last summer.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Why is a rebuilding team dealing away prospects?
To have a better prospect.
Let's say Poehling , still really young and will be a great 3rd center.
But let's say Habs want Columbus *Hawks* first pick and columbus is interested in Drouin and Poehling to get a better prospect that would be ready to play in 2 or 3 years in the NHL Habs would probably be willing to trade their prospect

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Well that depends on multiple things. Money aside he is best goalie available.
The question is how bad do the Oilers want to win and not waste any more prime years ?
best goalie available?
really?

what's his 'availability' right now? he hasn't played a single game has he?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

pretty levelheaded take. I'd add that not only would MTL not wanna pay for Price 4 more years, but no other team will want to either

and he's not pulling a 1st regardless

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
pretty levelheaded take. I'd add that not only would MTL not wanna pay for Price 4 more years, but no other team will want to either

and he's not pulling a 1st regardless
Exactly. Can't see any GM retaining that much, for that long. They'd be better off retaining 50% on Anderson. Much cheaper for the Canadiens and the return would be way better than Price.
The Canadiens are in a pretty tough situation. Outside of the entry level guys, the only guys that are interesting, at their current cap hits are maybe Toffoli, Dvorak and Edmundson. I'd love Suzuki and don't mind Evans but their new contracts are really pushing it, with a lot of risk involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad