Speculation: Habs Mega Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Not a fan of Caufield, but he has much more value.

EDM needs to add or change the player offered.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair points. Like I said I'm a fan of both teams and I really don't care about the return or retention. I just think Price would give the Oilers as good of a chance as any available goalie on a cup run over the next 4 seasons. 6.0 per year makes it doable for them.

I agree with you. Others saying Price at $6M is not worth it are out to lunch with their reasoning. The context being provided is weak. Oilers are just about to finish a contract with Koskinen who is younger and cheaper than Price and how did that work out for them?

I have no doubt that the Oilers management and McDavid/Drai/Nurse core would love to have Price at $6M (if he proves he can be healthy again). What he did in the last two playoffs proves that he is still a game changer. It's what top heavy teams like the Oilers, Leafs, and Avs are lacking. But they think they can win with a Bargain Bin Goalie search year after year. What way to ruin prime years of contending

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I like both players, they would look good in Boston but we all know there will be no trade between Boston and Montreal . With that said what would it cost the Bruins for Boeser ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In a league with no salary cap, I would agree with you. But in a league where each team has to choose between no depth, or top end players in specific positions, I don't think its unwise to question if allocating one of those major spots to an aging goalie the right move or not.

It isn't necessarily about finding a "cheap hot goalie" either. It's about knowing that the only options out there aren't 1) trading for Price, 2) sticking with what we have, or 3) gambling on a "cheap hot goalie".

Price at $10.5M vs Price at $6M is two completely different stories in the salary cap narrative. I think teams like the Leafs, Oilers, and Avs (top heavy types) are gambling with very rare prime years from stars cause they think you don't need a good proven goalie.

Canes got very lucky with getting Anderson and he's being paid $0.75M less than Price at 50% retention. If you feel another Anderson will become available, all the power to you. Good luck! Hope you don't ruin good prime years of McDavid and Drai... with or without Price

Wonder what the difference would be if the Oilers faced the Flames in the playoffs. No way the Flames win that series cause their goalie is better right? :sarcasm:

Who would I rather trade Price at 50% retention to? Oilers or Avs? Answer is the Oilers cause I rather the Oilers win a cup vs the Avs. I want the cup back in Canada

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Pretty sure Romanov can play on both sides of the ice? If so then any discussion would have to start with him. Anderson as a replacement RW doesn't really do much for me, would rather have a young RH C come back (think you guys only have Jake Evans who fits that category?). Also no interest in Mailloux, for obvious PR reasons.

Minimum would be Anderson, Romanov and 1st (could expand the trade and include Dickinson in exchange for Jake Evans).
What exactly are you on?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Gallagher and Romanov for Boeser + a pick
Love the player and have followed him very closely since junior. Vancouver not drafting him out of their own back yard is a major mis-step in my opinion. But given his age, style of play, injury history, NMC and 6 years @ $6.5 - I would not want anything to do with him - especially as a big piece for Boeser.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Pretty sure Romanov can play on both sides of the ice? If so then any discussion would have to start with him. Anderson as a replacement RW doesn't really do much for me, would rather have a young RH C come back (think you guys only have Jake Evans who fits that category?). Also no interest in Mailloux, for obvious PR reasons.

Minimum would be Anderson, Romanov and 1st (could expand the trade and include Dickinson in exchange for Jake Evans).
This has got to be a joke

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Everybody talks about Boesers qualifying offer........

Everbody knows how that works right..........

No way Boeser signs a 1 year deal, unless he is choosing to walk, so who ever has him , will sign a multi-year deal, with a cap hit lesst than the 8 million..........

Everone uses that as a scare tactic...............but for most contracts, it is not a real concern

Sure it happens, but just not that often...........
Thank you for this. At least someone understands how these work.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I disagree that the Oilers are better off with getting a younger goalie cause you just did that with Koskinen with his 3 year contract. Price at 50% vs Koskinen at $4.5M A whopping $0.75M in the difference and you get way more value on the ice with Price (if healthy... I got to keep repeating that).

Price would have been taken if his cap hit was $6M or $5.25M. Bad example with Seattle bud.

You are entitled to say no but your reasons are weak.

You are ignoring the obvious: the length of Price's contract. Would Seattle have taken him if he was @ 50%? Maybe? But they were obviously targeting Dreidger and Grubauer. We'll never know, will we?

Don't try and make it sound like teams are lining up to get Price. No one is at the moment. Oilers don't have to pay what you're demanding. That is pure fantasy.

Price at $10.5M vs Price at $6M is two completely different stories in the salary cap narrative. I think teams like the Leafs, Oilers, and Avs (top heavy types) are gambling with very rare prime years from stars cause they think you don't need a good proven goalie.

Canes got very lucky with getting Anderson and he's being paid $0.75M less than Price at 50% retention. If you feel another Anderson will become available, all the power to you. Good luck! Hope you don't ruin good prime years of McDavid and Drai... with or without Price

Wonder what the difference would be if the Oilers faced the Flames in the playoffs. No way the Flames win that series cause their goalie is better right? :sarcasm:

Who would I rather trade Price at 50% retention to? Oilers or Avs? Answer is the Oilers cause I rather the Oilers win a cup vs the Avs. I want the cup back in Canada

This is the standard BS argument for overpayments on trades with the Oilers. Literally this and "Yes, our guy hasn't scored more than 40 points in his career, but with McDavid he'd get 90! So you have to pay for him like he is a 90 point player!"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not a fan of Caufield, but he has much more value.

EDM needs to add or change the player offered.

Habs won't be trading Caufield. I don't see the point to try for a lateral move. He's not even close to Galchenyuk or KK disappointment yet. Just cause we sent him to the AHL, it don't mean we are not still high on him. Like others, he has to figure out consistency against NHL men. He's not a star so in most cases like this, it takes time and patience.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Oilers say yes, Habs say no... pretty easily. While Yamo might be contributing more right now, the fact that Caufield has more ELC years and a higher upside makes this an instant accept from us.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are ignoring the obvious: the length of Price's contract. Would Seattle have taken him if he was @ 50%? Maybe? But they were obviously targeting Dreidger and Grubauer. We'll never know, will we?

Don't try and make it sound like teams are lining up to get Price. No one is at the moment. Oilers don't have to pay what you're demanding. That is pure fantasy.

This is the standard BS argument for overpayments on trades with the Oilers. Literally this and "Yes, our guy hasn't scored more than 40 points in his career, but with McDavid he'd get 90! So you have to pay for him like he is a 90 point player!"

I'm not ignoring the length. I've said it was age 34-38 in a few posts. Give me a break here.... Oilers are spending $7.7M on Keith and Smith who are probably way over the hill than what Price will be at 37/38.

This is a solid offer. You don't like it but Price at 50% or close to it after he is healthy again is not some joke. And in my proposal, I'm not asking for any current roster player you value.

Let me put it this way... If Price was a pending UFA and was healthy and producing from Jan-end of the year, you don't think he gets a 4 year deal at $6M being offered? If you think the answer is no, you're wrong.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
A few things to consider before...
* Price returns and is back to his normal self.
* Price also plays Olympics and his injury concerns and time loss is in the past.
* Oilers continue to have a great season and are looking for goalie and D upgrades.
* Price is open to waiving his NMC to join the Oilers for cup runs

The base of the offer to be discussed further if there is interest (Trade deadline move):
* Price (Retention down to $6M)
* Chiarot (Retention down to $2M)
for
* Futures (TBD....)
* Koskinen (cap reasons)
* Whatever you want to send back to even out the cap hits but no longer than 1 or 2 years in term.

What are the Oilers willing to spare in futures to make this deal work? 1st round pick and Grade A prospect would be the starting point in case some think we are liquidating Price for whatever. That's not the idea here. The idea is offering Price and Chiarot with retention but we get very solid futures in return. Any interest? Might mean a cup for the Oilers and for the Habs, we accelerate our rebuild
Montreal reject trade.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Historically, RD have more value than LD and Savard was retained at 75%. If you can get a 1st for Chiarot, kudos to you. I wouldn't and will not be happy if the Oilers give a 1st for him. We're not one Chiarot away from winning the Stanley Cup, unlike Tampa with Savard.
I may be wrong but I think EDM will spend their 1st on a Dman this year. Don t forget, next year, Nurse s extension kicks in which will make cap management even harder. My guess is Holland goes after a McCann type of Forward and a Chiarot kind of D

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I would add Jonathan Quick to this list. Before someone jumps in and says he's washed up, he 4-4-1 this year with a SV% of .940 and has looked better than Cal Petersen.
He's got 2 years left (including this year) at $5.8MM and Kings can retain. He wouldn't even be expensive to acquire.

And a champ already. I like Quick. Can't imagine him coming to Edmonton though.

Reactions: TFHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ben Chairot for Justin Holl

Keep Holl and offer picks. A 1st or two 2nd's and you might have a deal if other teams don't trump those future returns. Chiarot is a playoff warrior and he's going to be an interest of many teams. Does he get a 1st? Not sure. What I see happening is most teams offer two pieces (2nd and Grade B) and whoever wants him the most, might have to offer one more part or a late 1st to be a front runner. Hard to say what happens or how that develops. Trade deadlines are tricky

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers would do this without a second thought.

Ignoring all upside, which is the majority of Caufield's value, he's also two years away from the raise Yamamoto is likely to get next summer. So he's also much better value in terms of cap impact.

Yamamoto's 'chemistry' with Draisaitl has failed to pay dividends for him this far and it may ultimately result in the team moving him in the coming months.

When it comes to Montreal though, I'm not really sure why there'd be any interest there anyways with Toffolli, Anderson, Gallagher and Armia all under contract. The Habs need a center.
I can see why you say this, but I think that if Holland is dealing Yamamoto, he is going to go after someone more experienced who can help now. I don't think Caufield is the kind of guy to help the Oilers now, so Kenny might dismiss the idea of bringing him in. His Keith and Hyman deals show that Holland is very much in the "win now" frame of mind.

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Desperate for what? MB got a 2nd+4th for Scandella who was way worse, and he even wanted to resign him, wouldn't be surprised if he did the same with Chiarot but got a 1st instead. Especially at 50% retained.
I'm not really sure with the Habs, to be honest. They consistently confuse me.

It could be that they're desperate to shed anywhere from $10-30M as they are the second highest spending team in the league while also simultaneously playing like they are possibly the worst team in the league.

Or it could be that they are desperate to add even MORE overpriced wingers and defensemen so they can pretend they are something they are not and 'compete' again, in which case teams will take advantage of Montreal's absolutely horrible bargaining position by making "disingenuous offers", as Habs fans like to call them.

Either way they're screwed. In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad