Speculation: Habs Mega Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
This deal makes no sense for habs or oilers. Habs are om the verve of a rebuild and need young players who have talent.
Oilers need win now players.

Plus yams doesn't cut it.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
All first rounders are not the same. Chiarot being worth a late 1st, I agree there.

Most people only value offensive D men. Chiarot is the type of player a good team needs though.

At the same time I don't see Montreal selling Chiarot. I think they keep him.

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Ben Chiarot could totally land a first at the trade deadline. All you would need is one contending team that could use him.

With that being said, Montreal is too desperate and everyone knows it.

They will not get a first for Chiarot, in my opinion.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Habs don't do it... upside.

Oilers shouldn't worry too much about it. They have the more NHL ready player now and that's what they need. Caufield (once he sticks) will end up making more anyway, plus Yama is another heater away from decent trade value this summer if they can't sign him cheap.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Savard (1st + 3rd), Scandella, Greene (2nd) all were inferior players to Chiarot and seem to say you are wrong.

Historically, RD have more value than LD and Savard was retained at 75%. If you can get a 1st for Chiarot, kudos to you. I wouldn't and will not be happy if the Oilers give a 1st for him. We're not one Chiarot away from winning the Stanley Cup, unlike Tampa with Savard.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
he's got a modified no trade clause for 10 teams so the value is pretty limited, doubt it's enough to get a first. maybe a 2nd with retention.

I dont see why Chariot will refuse to be traded to any of the playoffs team that would be interested in him. He only needs to stay with that team for a couple of months and he gets a chance at the playoffs.

Reactions: Vachon23

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
...and when he gets injured again? His regular season save % for the last 4 years he played

and it goes without saying 99% of the oiler base did not want to have BOTH Smith and Koskinen as the tandem this year. Price has played a lot of games in his career--how much gas does he have left?

Price at 34 has played 707 games
Smith at 37 has played 645 games

This does not include playoff games 29 games for Smith VS Price who has about 80.

At this point in time--I do not want the oilers to pay 6 mill for a 34 year old goalie unless they are the cloned versions of Patrick Roy, Hasek or Broaduer,

Comparing Smith to Price for starting is a bad comparison. Smith has good games and bed game and then gets injured. He is proof you should not name any G over 35 as a starter full time

Fair points. Like I said I'm a fan of both teams and I really don't care about the return or retention. I just think Price would give the Oilers as good of a chance as any available goalie on a cup run over the next 4 seasons. 6.0 per year makes it doable for them.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I hate the Canadiens and could care less if they do anything right but let me give them some free advice.......................don't do it

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ben Chiarot could totally land a first at the trade deadline. All you would need is one contending team that could use him.

With that being said, Montreal is too desperate and everyone knows it.

They will not get a first for Chiarot, in my opinion.
Desperate for what? MB got a 2nd+4th for Scandella who was way worse, and he even wanted to resign him, wouldn't be surprised if he did the same with Chiarot but got a 1st instead. Especially at 50% retained.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I can't image Montreal would be interested in Yamamoto as the main piece coming back in a deal for Caufield...

I think a deal would look something like...

To Edmonton: Caufield

To Montreal: Broberg, Yamamoto

I wouldn't trade Broberg for Caufield alone let alone with Yamamoto.

Reactions: TFHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Oilers are better off getting a younger goaltender who is signed for similar or less money than Price at 50%. It isn't spin to worry about his age, his status, and the length of his contract for a team that is right up against the cap.

Price was available for free in the expansion draft a few months ago and Seattle didn't bite. He misses the first part of the year in rehab and you think the Oilers, or literally ANY team in the league are going to pay a kings ransom for him?

I disagree that the Oilers are better off with getting a younger goalie cause you just did that with Koskinen with his 3 year contract. Price at 50% vs Koskinen at $4.5M A whopping $0.75M in the difference and you get way more value on the ice with Price (if healthy... I got to keep repeating that).

Price would have been taken if his cap hit was $6M or $5.25M. Bad example with Seattle bud.

You are entitled to say no but your reasons are weak.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yamamoto has bounced back from his poor start. I think Edmonton considers this because Caufield has more ELC time left, but I'm not sure if they would actually do it because of Yamamoto's chemistry with Draisaitl. I think Montreal doesn't because they like Caufield and have no reason to move him.
The Oilers would do this without a second thought.

Ignoring all upside, which is the majority of Caufield's value, he's also two years away from the raise Yamamoto is likely to get next summer. So he's also much better value in terms of cap impact.

Yamamoto's 'chemistry' with Draisaitl has failed to pay dividends for him this far and it may ultimately result in the team moving him in the coming months.

When it comes to Montreal though, I'm not really sure why there'd be any interest there anyways with Toffolli, Anderson, Gallagher and Armia all under contract. The Habs need a center.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I can't image Montreal would be interested in Yamamoto as the main piece coming back in a deal for Caufield...

I think a deal would look something like...

To Edmonton: Caufield

To Montreal: Broberg, Yamamoto

Wouldn't do Broberg straight up for Caufield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad