Speculation: Habs Mega Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I may be wrong but I think EDM will spend their 1st on a Dman this year. Don t forget, next year, Nurse s extension kicks in which will make cap management even harder. My guess is Holland goes after a McCann type of Forward and a Chiarot kind of D

If Chiarot continues to play like he has been and also whoever he is with in the playoffs (we believe he will be dealt), he's going to get many offers and he will get to choose his city. He might stick with the team that trades for him at the deadline or not. Hard to say. I can see Chiarot getting a 4x4 deal or something like that

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Before you even know what the futures are? :sarcasm:

You might reject it but don't speak for the entire Habs fan base
Montreal reject this trade. Ownership isn't retaining 4,500,000 per x 4 + seasons and they can trade Chiarot without retaining any salary.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm not ignoring the length. I've said it was age 34-38 in a few posts. Give me a break here.... Oilers are spending $7.7M on Keith and Smith who are probably way over the hill than what Price will be at 37/38.

This is a solid offer. You don't like it but Price at 50% or close to it after he is healthy again is not some joke. And in my proposal, I'm not asking for any current roster player you value.

Let me put it this way... If Price was a pending UFA and was healthy and producing from Jan-end of the year, you don't think he gets a 4 year deal at $6M being offered? If you think the answer is no, you're wrong.

Price when he is healthy is not some joke. Never said that. However to a cap team it doesn't make sense to invest in him for the assets you're asking for. You mention Smith and Keith; that is precisely WHY the Oilers should not make this kind of trade. Smith is hurt and Keith is a mixed bag at his age. I don't think the Oilers should get aging veterans at the end of their careers in order to make a run for the Cup.

This ask:

* Price at $6M
for
* Koskinen (cap reasons... Habs let him walk basically)
* 2021 or 2022 1st
* 2024 2nd
* Holloway
* Lavoie

Is waaaay too much coming from the Oilers. Grand slam homerun for the Habs though.

Disagree? Pitch that kind of trade to any other fanbase on here and you'll get lit up.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Savard (1st + 3rd), Scandella, Greene (2nd) all were inferior players to Chiarot and seem to say you are wrong.

I think trying to use a cherry picked past deadline trade holds little value. Each deadline varies in terms of needs and supply/demand. But what I will say is that Chiarot has more value than Savard. Better skater and plays a better physical game... especially in the playoffs. Savard is a fringe top 4D and Chiarot is a top 4D at this stage.

With the right pairing partner, Chiarot can change things for the coach in the match-up game. He's just the type to carry his partner though. But if you are missing a physical skating LD, he's a good target.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price when he is healthy is not some joke. Never said that. However to a cap team it doesn't make sense to invest in him for the assets you're asking for. You mention Smith and Keith; that is precisely WHY the Oilers should not make this kind of trade. Smith is hurt and Keith is a mixed bag at his age. I don't think the Oilers should get aging veterans at the end of their careers in order to make a run for the Cup.

This ask:

* Price at $6M
for
* Koskinen (cap reasons... Habs let him walk basically)
* 2021 or 2022 1st
* 2024 2nd
* Holloway
* Lavoie

Is waaaay too much coming from the Oilers. Grand slam homerun for the Habs though.

Disagree? Pitch that kind of trade to any other fanbase on here and you'll get lit up.

There is no way you are getting Price with retention like that and giving futures outside the NHL only. 1st, 2nd, Holloway and Lavoie is 4 pieces you might want to trade and I get that but we also don't want to trade Price with retention where he wins a cup with the Oilers and we end up with disappointments as well. Futures outside of the NHL take time and in a lot of cases, they disappoint.

And to be honest, I'm not even sure I like that return. I'd have to evaluate it further. Not an automatic no or yes but a platform to discuss. But you don't like it so nothing to discuss. It's not cheaper than that if that's what you are thinking

And yes, nothing happens until Price plays again. It's a deadline type idea after he shows ability to be healthy again.

And like an other Habs fans said... Habs retaining that much is not something you can slip under the rug. It's a serious decision to retain that much for 4 years.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It's up to the Oilers to decide that. Price has had injury issues lately but he has shown his true form in back to back playoffs. If you are low on Price at $6M, that's your choice.

A bigger chance Price disappoints than a late 1st and Broberg busting? Do you want to try to prove that? Good luck
Much easier to live with two busts than a .907sv% 6 million dollar aging goalie for four years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Much easier to live with two busts than a .907sv% 6 million dollar aging goalie for four years.

Check out his playoff stats over the last two years. That's when it counts and when it counts, he is a proven performer. But you try to say he is just some .907 Sv% type all day long if you wish.

HF boards is comical... Habs get all the way to the finals and some say you are only there because of Price. Throw out a Price with retention down to $6M and you get your weak context of trying to say he is just some .907 Sv% guy.

Which one is true? You Habs haters can't have it both ways :laugh:

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Are there better options than Price for 6M x 4 years? Very probably yes. And Koskinen, who is the Oilers' backup unless Smith is injured, which he is right now, is off the books at the end of the year.
Oh so next year the Oilers woN't ven have a goalie, considering Smith and Koskinen are gone... Who's going to play there?

Any UFA will cost 6M$ on a deal for a good #1 G (See Grubauer, etc...)

So, again, 4 X 6 for Price, or 6X6 for any other UFA you'll sign who'll probably end up worst anyways!

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Check out his playoff stats over the last two years. That's when it counts and when it counts, he is a proven performer. But you try to say he is just some .907 Sv% type all day long if you wish.
Fine. He's worth the world if he's 100% healthy and does not regress in the next 4 years.

In my opinion any trade for Price will have retention and conditional picks attached

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fine. He's worth the world if he's 100% healthy and does not regress in the next 4 years.

In my opinion any trade for Price will have retention and conditional picks attached

There are no guarantees with either Price or the futures outside of the NHL that the Oilers would send back. Risks apply two ways and not just one way.

Reactions: Homesick

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Both teams need a big shakeup.
Both in difference conference.
A trade would make sense.

To Vancouver:
Brendan Gallagher (a local)
Jonathan Drouin
Christian Dvorak
Artturi Lehkonen

To Montreal:
JT Miller
Brock Boeser
Bo Horvat

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
200.gif

Mods have their work cut out for them on this one

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Oh so next year the Oilers woN't ven have a goalie, considering Smith and Koskinen are gone... Who's going to play there?

Any UFA will cost 6M$ on a deal for a good #1 G (See Grubauer, etc...)

So, again, 4 X 6 for Price, or 6X6 for any other UFA you'll sign who'll probably end up worst anyways!

Lots of people outside of Quebec watch the Canadiens. That means lots of people have seen Price struggle the last few years. Yes, he had an outstanding playoffs--just incredible, the best there is when he's on. But you can't pretend that the recent past hasn't happened. And I think Canadian fans have an emotional attachment to Price that skews their valuation of him. His recent struggles are absolutely a concern for any team thinking about acquiring the 34-year-old for the next 4 years, even at 6M, which is still 7th in the NHL in terms of cap hit for a goalie. Just because the Oilers don't have a starter locked in for next season doesn't mean they need to make a bad trade.

From my own perspective, I might consider Price at the TDL after having a fair sample size of where he is at this season (assuming he gets on the ice soon?). Broberg and a 1st is probably going to be a non-starter though.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Bakersfield has enough offense right now and the Habs need young prospects. Both teams would pass

member 334057

Both teams need a big shakeup.
Both in difference conference.
A trade would make sense.

To Vancouver:
Brendan Gallagher (a local)
Jonathan Drouin
Christian Dvorak
Artturi Lehkonen

To Montreal:
JT Miller
Brock Boeser
Bo Horvat
Not a fan of either team but wow that looks really bad for Vancouver. Even removing Horvat or Boeser Vancouver still says no.

Reactions: Benstheman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad