Speculation: Habs Mega Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Feels like this proposal has been done in different forms many times.
Edmonton probably won't want to pay big considering they can get a good goalie with less cost or term with the same assets.
Montreal won't want to retain large amounts for long term and they would have to get decent assets back for Price to keep the fanbase from revolting.

I could maybe see a team that is still competitive with an aging core taking on Price (Pittsburgh?). Go all in for a few years and then the cap hit the last couple years doesn't matter in a full rebuild?
I'm not a Pittsburgh fan so maybe they think that's ridiculous, most times I've seen Jarry he hasn't looked good..

I am about 90% sure Price does not finish that contract in Montreal. Not because he sucks or is over the hill. But because the Habs can't rebuild until we move him. And moving him where we retain down to $6M is more value than most will admit on HF boards. Reality.

This is not going away and it's probably the best pitch I can make on a Price trade thread. Habs retain to offer Price at a very good AAV. Habs don't really need proven young assets already in the NHL cause with me, I rather stock the futures and let them grow together while we tank. My plans would be not to add good players now that helps us get to 10-15 range picks vs 1-10 range picks. So yeah... if we can agree on futures, we might have a platform for a deal.

1st and Broberg is not a bad pitch. Do the Oilers prefer to keep Broberg? If so, I would feel the Habs are open to that cause we don't hate Broberg. We just have a lot in the system at LD and a few guys that can play both sides. We would be after 1st's and forwards or that's what I would target. I was looking at Lavoie and Holloway types but I wonder if the Habs are getting screwed here. Risks apply in two ways, not just one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Absolutely not. Look at Price's age and contract. The Oilers cannot take that on, even at 50%.

I bet you McDavid disagrees with you and would love to have Price in net for the Oilers. A healthy Price yes. Things can change quickly and I bet you Price is gearing himself to be ready for the Olympics.

There is no way to spin this. A healthy Price in back to back playoffs was a game changer. He could very well be the difference between a Cup or a 1st round exit.

Price at $6M for 4+ years (age 34-38) is likely better value than whoever the Oilers try to sign in the goalie bargain bin in those 4 years. You can disagree and if you do, I wish you luck searching the goalie bargain bin year after year.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it’s safe to say Montreal are not retaining money on a deal that still has 4.5 years left on it, especially not at 4.5m a year. That just doesn’t make any sense

That is not safe to say. It would be a huge move by the Habs and nobody knows what Molson would do. But we are a big market team and fans will go to the games in rebuild years. Nobody is giving up season tickets. And most of our fan base wants a rebuild anyways where we watch younger players play with no expectations for a while.

It's really 4 years of $4.5M retention. The prorated retention for the rest of year past the deadline is a non factor. If it was up to me, I'd retain 50% on all 3 of Price, Gallagher, and Petry. You and others probably try to say we are trying to push bad players on other teams but that's not the reality. Teams would be interested in those guys at 50%.

If the Wild can absorb over $12M in dead cap, the Habs can absorb $10M for 4-5 years while we rebuild.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would trade Koskinen and our next two firsts for Price at 6M. No interest in trading Broberg. He likely gets a call up and takes the 3LD spot after Christmas if we don't find a veteran to trade for. He is our probable 2LD next year. I am interested in adding a depth defenseman for depth, but am not interested in a 1st for Chairot. Maybe a 4th for Edmunson instead.

I would say over half of the Habs fan base is OK with not taking Broberg and taking other pieces. Not because we hate Broberg, but because we are looking at our pool and we have a lot of LD's already.

Not sure I like it and both sides have to consider the risks. Risks to apply two ways here.
* Price at $6M
for
* Koskinen (cap reasons... Habs let him walk basically)
* 2021 or 2022 1st
* 2024 2nd
* Holloway
* Lavoie

I do believe that other teams would knock on the door if Price was available at $6M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody is suggesting Price at 6 million is bad. People are suggesting that Price at 4 years is bad.

Price for 4 years after we all get to see him play hockey again and in the Olympics (age 34-38)
vs
Digging in the Goalie Bargain Bin for the next 4 years on someone cheaper and younger

Sounds like the Oilers, Avs, and Leafs think you can win cups with a cheap "hot goalie". Good luck with that. If the Oilers can put their faith in a 39 year old Smith and a 38 year old Keith, they can put their faith in a 34-38 year old Star in net.

And think of it this way... If Price had no risks, the cost to acquire would be much higher. Just like with Eichel who just got traded and came with risks cause they really don't know if his preferred surgery will hold up over the next 5 years. Knights made their move and for a younger piece yes. But they considered the risks and they went for it. Knights might win a cup with their core now if Eichel is back to being Eichel when he plays again.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Look, another shooting winger!

We absolutely need to add those. It's not like we have plenty of those not scoring, because there's no one outside Suzuki to pass them the puck.
This. No reason for Montreal to add a scoring winger when they clearly need blueline and center help.

Boeser is also worth way more than Anderson.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
montreal and vancouver do not make good trading partners here at all . both are looking to get younger and are writing off this season. granted boesar may be the the better scorer the difference is not a first and romanov. not even close . especially when you consider anderson is locked in at 5.5 million and boesar's qualifying offer is gonna be near 8 million and has struggled this year . since both teams have an eye towards the future there better off negotiating with other teams for said players .

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I bet you McDavid disagrees with you and would love to have Price in net for the Oilers. A healthy Price yes. Things can change quickly and I bet you Price is gearing himself to be ready for the Olympics.

There is no way to spin this. A healthy Price in back to back playoffs was a game changer. He could very well be the difference between a Cup or a 1st round exit.

Price at $6M for 4+ years (age 34-38) is likely better value than whoever the Oilers try to sign in the goalie bargain bin in those 4 years. You can disagree and if you do, I wish you luck searching the goalie bargain bin year after year.

The Oilers are better off getting a younger goaltender who is signed for similar or less money than Price at 50%. It isn't spin to worry about his age, his status, and the length of his contract for a team that is right up against the cap.

I would say over half of the Habs fan base is OK with not taking Broberg and taking other pieces. Not because we hate Broberg, but because we are looking at our pool and we have a lot of LD's already.

Not sure I like it and both sides have to consider the risks. Risks to apply two ways here.
* Price at $6M
for
* Koskinen (cap reasons... Habs let him walk basically)
* 2021 or 2022 1st
* 2024 2nd
* Holloway
* Lavoie

I do believe that other teams would knock on the door if Price was available at $6M.

Price was available for free in the expansion draft a few months ago and Seattle didn't bite. He misses the first part of the year in rehab and you think the Oilers, or literally ANY team in the league are going to pay a kings ransom for him?

Reactions: soothsayer

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
price has not played a single game this season.
yes because he checked himself into rehab not because hes injured,not like he lost hes skills in 2months and if anything he should comeback stronger now that hes clean

i 100% agree that Price at 10.5mill is negative value but at 6mill cmon now lots of GMs would be interested

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Fan of both teams, MTL does not need Boeser but would need to spend more anyway to get him. VAN can get a better return for him anywhere.

VAN has two problems : weak RD, underperforming team overall. Maybe trading Boeser or Miller solves the first problem but I think Green should go first.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Pretty sure Romanov can play on both sides of the ice? If so then any discussion would have to start with him. Anderson as a replacement RW doesn't really do much for me, would rather have a young RH C come back (think you guys only have Jake Evans who fits that category?). Also no interest in Mailloux, for obvious PR reasons.

Minimum would be Anderson, Romanov and 1st (could expand the trade and include Dickinson in exchange for Jake Evans).
Holyshit that's way to rich for my liking

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Would Price go?

Yes. Rebuild this team. Broberg, 1st and Koskinen for Price at 6, it's a perfect deal for both team. 1st is a 1st, Broberg looks a pretty good D prospect and that's going to be a good asset for Habs to have more depth at D prospect (we are stacked at LD, but we can trade one of them).

I'm all in to trade Price, Petry, Chiarot, Gallagher, Toffoli, Hoffman, Armia for a real rebuild.

Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov and Primeau is the core of the Habs.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Lol *cracks knuckles*.

In 7 seasons Josh Anderson has topped 40 points once and 30 points twice... he's also scored 147 points in 337 games (~0.4 points/ game). Boeser's played 5 seasons (6 if you count his 9 game sample) and he's never had less than 49 points in any full season so far. Of those, he's had two seasons of 0.9 points/ game. This season is his low points/ game mark and he's still at 0.6 points/ game (0.8 points/ game is his career mark, 218 points in 267 games). In other words, he's scored more points in fewer games played and is scoring at double the career rate as Josh Anderson.

You tell me, who's trying to rip whom off? I'll give you a hint, it's the 3rd line winger pretending to be a top-six scorer (which is which? I'll let you figure that one out). And you say that that team doesn't need to add a young and talented asset, maybe more?????
Talking about Anderson and only bringing up points is very disingenuous ...

Montreal doesn't need a peripheral scoring winger at that insane price. We have Hoffman and Toffoli now + Caufield on his way back.
Our 1st is top 5 right now and Romanov is looking like a second pairing dman lately. You're out of your mind. Even without Anderson that would be highway robbery.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Price for 4 years after we all get to see him play hockey again and in the Olympics (age 34-38)
vs
Digging in the Goalie Bargain Bin for the next 4 years on someone cheaper and younger

Sounds like the Oilers, Avs, and Leafs think you can win cups with a cheap "hot goalie". Good luck with that. If the Oilers can put their faith in a 39 year old Smith and a 38 year old Keith, they can put their faith in a 34-38 year old Star in net.

And think of it this way... If Price had no risks, the cost to acquire would be much higher. Just like with Eichel who just got traded and came with risks cause they really don't know if his preferred surgery will hold up over the next 5 years. Knights made their move and for a younger piece yes. But they considered the risks and they went for it. Knights might win a cup with their core now if Eichel is back to being Eichel when he plays again.
In a league with no salary cap, I would agree with you. But in a league where each team has to choose between no depth, or top end players in specific positions, I don't think its unwise to question if allocating one of those major spots to an aging goalie the right move or not.

It isn't necessarily about finding a "cheap hot goalie" either. It's about knowing that the only options out there aren't 1) trading for Price, 2) sticking with what we have, or 3) gambling on a "cheap hot goalie".

Reactions: Hunter368

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would not even take Price with retention for free. His age, injury history, unclear mental status based on his absence this season, for 6 million for 5 years? No way, thats negative value that the Habs are going to keep. There are so many alternatives that sounds way more appealing than that.
Look at his regular season numbers- hint they're bad and have been mediocre for years.

Gets 10x times worse when you toss in the Oilers best prospect and a 1st
Broberg isn't the Oilers best prospect.
Your narrative on Price is really intriging... Let's see where Kuemper brings the Avs, last year it was Grubaeur who was suppose to bring them far, how did it go? Who was it before that, can't remember. All I remember is they are always fine in net, until they aren't

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
For 4 years of a goalie the age of Price, you might be getting a guy who gives you a chance at the cup for only a year or two. Most teams want to have a chance at the cup for more than a year or two.
Most teams don't even have the opportunity. Most teams should take the run at the cup for a year or 2 if it's anywhere close to possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad