GDT: Habs at Leafs (Now, Monday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anderson with CC/Suzuki why are they even bothering, they know it never works long term.
Pearson/Monahan/Gallagher aka the Cripples line

Evans's linemates should make him look good I guess.

I guess RHP/Dach/Salf start the season together, this is their 3rd pre-game.

That defense.
Norlinder doesn't have the cardio to play with Savard.
Xhejak/Kova might end up the 3rd pair this season.
Harris will have to carry Mailloux defensively, but not a bad pair.

I'm really starting to think that Mailloux will start in the NHL.

And :laugh: at Armia already injured. Not way people change my mind. It was self-inflicted to the waiver wire.

The Caufield / Suzuki / Anderson line was not tried for more than 5 games in a row (from what I recall anyways). And I actually watch all the games (win's or losses).

I think past injuries were more of a factor than the performance from that line. Our coaches have been moving parts around more than the average coach does and this dates back to the Thierrien days. Ask Lehkonen how many line-mates and centers they tried him with.

Reactions: River Meadow

Jul 6, 2016
Dear god I MISS DROUIN!!!
GO HABS GO!
If Drouin would had not collapsed under pressure in MTL, he would had played with Suzuki and Caufield on the first line.

Agreed.

He’s been fine, but what concerns me about him is he still has a ton to work on defensively and he needs to get more reps in because he’s missed a lot of development time.

He’s a perfect fit for Laval this year, both for his development and the team.

I figure it may just be the team trying to immerse him in the atmosphere and building relationships with the rest of the team since he hasn’t partaken in previous years. Making up for lost time if you will.
Why bother ? He will be send down after this coming game tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: River Meadow

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
The Caufield / Suzuki / Anderson line was not tried for more than 5 games in a row (from what I recall anyways). And I actually watch all the games (win's or losses).

I think past injuries were more of a factor than the performance from that line. Our coaches have been moving parts around more than the average coach does and this dates back to the Thierrien days. Ask Lehkonen how many line-mates and centers they tried him with.

Interesting..... noted for future reference.

Now I know who to tag to ask how X game went. : D

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
They never stick together because it doesn't work. CC/Suzuki's 3rd wheel has to be good at board battles and able to cycle the puck. That's not Anderson, he's a "on the rush" player even if he wants to get better at the other things since MSL joined.

Jul 6, 2016

We will see the regular line up at the last pre season game only.

Could be:

Newhook-Suzuki-Caufield
RHP - Dach - Anderson
Slaf- Monahan - Gally
Pearson or Pezz - Evans - Armia or Ylonen

Heineman will be sent down to Laval

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Would hurt more if we had him at a time when we wanted or expected to make the playoffs and go on a run.

Do you think that is next year? I don't. I think Gallagher is the biggest problem because the term overlaps when Dach needs a new contract and at a time when our compete window opens.

Would you just look at it... Anderson tried with Suzuki and Caufield. You should call MSL and tell him he is crazy. You have context into how Anderson can't keep up. I think MSL would love to hear from you on what you have to share? :sarcasm:

Projected lines for tonight's game...
Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
RHP - Dach - Slaf
Pearson - Monahan - Gallagher
Heineman - Evans - Ylonen

How long will he hold that position? Not sure... I can see them also trying Monahan, Dach, and Newhook on that line too.

Personally, I hope they create stability after their tinkering process is over.
Anderson was really bad on this Line last year from what I recall. They need to increase his trade value though. But he is the kind of player who does not create anything for his Line mates. Maybe he proves me wrong this year.

Reactions: the

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They never stick together because it doesn't work. CC/Suzuki's 3rd wheel has to be good at board battles and able to cycle the puck. That's not Anderson, he's a "on the rush" player even if he wants to get better at the other things since MSL joined.

Not how I see it. It doesn't stick because there are injuries to other players and our depth in past seasons sucked. Especially up the middle.

Anderson belongs with better centers than Evans or Dvorak. Figure it out but lets not push him down and then jump on his back.

Do you have actual context into Anderson's production with Caufield and Suzuki?
* Total Ice time
* Goals for and against
* Corsi

I'm not asking for Anderson to be a staple on the PP with them. But at 5/5? I don't see problems at all. Of course he is not as skilled as Dach is and Monahan is more matured to play with them as well but what does that mean to you? Demote Anderson to play with Dvorak or Evans and expect him to produce on his own? Think about it more

We will see the regular line up at the last pre season game only.

Could be:

Newhook-Suzuki-Caufield
RHP - Dach - Anderson
Slaf- Monahan - Gally
Pearson or Pezz - Evans - Armia or Ylonen

Heineman will be sent down to Laval

I think we are going to try several different rosters and it will extend into the 1st month of the season.
Personally, if Anderson is not with Suzuki/Caufield at 5/5, I'd prefer Monahan or Dach. Newhook maybe.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anderson was really bad on this Line last year from what I recall. They need to increase his trade value though. But he is the kind of player who does not create anything for his Line mates. Maybe he proves me wrong this year.

"Really" Bad eh? If you have to exaggerate, you don't have a good point.

I told you earlier today... MSL and the players will be doing similar things to what I am saying and bang... the roster comes out with Anderson on the Suzuki/Caufield line. After you spend a lot of time trying to tell me it was a bad idea.

MSL >>>>>>>>> RationalExpectaions. You sure it was "really" bad now? MSL is crazy for trying it right?

Jul 6, 2016
Not how I see it. It doesn't stick because there are injuries to other players and our depth in past seasons sucked. Especially up the middle.

Anderson belongs with better centers than Evans or Dvorak. Figure it out but lets not push him down and then jump on his back.

* Total Ice time
* Goals for and against
* Corsi

I'm not asking for Anderson to be a staple on the PP with them. But at 5/5? I don't see problems at all. Of course he is not as skilled as Dach is and Monahan is more matured to play with them as well but what does that mean to you? Demote Anderson to play with Dvorak or Evans and expect him to produce on his own? Think about it more

I think we are going to try several different rosters and it will extend into the 1st month of the season.
Personally, if Anderson is not with Suzuki/Caufield at 5/5, I'd prefer Monahan or Dach. Newhook maybe.
Newhook can't win a faceoff to save his life. He must be used on a wing where his speed will serve him well. Dach , despite his shortcomings on faceoffs, has all the other tools to be a dominant centerman. Monahan can play anywhere , but he is a natural center with decent faceoffs skills. Dvorak will be back soon.

That is why a RHP-Dach-Anderson line makes sense.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Armia really injured already? f***ing hell we got one more year of this guy as well

77zS1JV.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Newhook can't win a faceoff to save his life. He must be used on a wing where his speed will serve him well. Dach , despite his shortcomings on faceoffs, has all the other tools to be a dominant centerman. Monahan can play anywhere , but he is a natural center with decent faceoffs skills. Dvorak will be back soon.

I agree Newhook is not a sure shot center. More like a winger who can play center if needed. Good to have that option because we had to play Drouin at center last year at times. That's not good either

I have a few different things I would try after tinkering with several options. I'm open to Newhook on the Suzuki/Caufield line but I'm also open to Anderson, Monahan, and Dach.

For all we know, they have different line-ups depending on match-up games where teams give us different challenges. Maybe Anderson plays with Suzuki/Caufield in the Leafs games for example. He does show up in those games.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

* Total Ice time
* Goals for and against
* Corsi

It's not about demoting Anderson, it's about his playstyle not providing what CC/Suzuki are missing, i.e. a player that goes to the dirty area, play along the board and recuperate pucks.

CC/Suzuki/Anderson last season:
2022-2023: 65:10 TOI, 38.71 CF%, 28.90 xGF%, 6 GF 6 GA, 5 HDFC 20 HDFA, 57.69% ozone starts
It was better the year before:
2021-2022: 255.52 TOI, 50.82 CF% , 49.31 xGF%, 12 GF 11 GA, 47 HDFC 56 HDFA, 54.38% ozone starts

CC/Suzuki with Monahan:
2022-2023: 50:40 TOI, 55.40 CF%, 42.88 xGF%, 5 GF 3 GA, 5 HDFC 10 HDFA, 58.62% ozone starts

RHP/Suzuki/Anderson:
2022-2023: 120:46 TOI, 46.67 CF%, 55.71%, 10 GF 3 GA, 36 HDFC 24 HDFA, 53.25% ozone starts

Reactions: Habs Halifax

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
"Really" Bad eh? If you have to exaggerate, you don't have a good point.

I told you earlier today... MSL and the players will be doing similar things to what I am saying and bang... the roster comes out with Anderson on the Suzuki/Caufield line. After you spend a lot of time trying to tell me it was a bad idea.

MSL >>>>>>>>> RationalExpectaions. You sure it was "really" bad now? MSL is crazy for trying it right?

So because MSL does something it is the right thing ?

Let s omit the fact that they may want to increase Anderson s trade value rather than present the best lineup, last year s PP scored 16% of the time. According to you it was perfect ?

Reactions: Runner77

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Tonight on the 8-million pucks podcast, Cole and Nick discuss the best ways to humiliate Maple Leafs fans. As they are still auditioning for their permanent co-host this season, what a good time to have Josh Anderson as a guest on the show! To speak about the experience they shared preparing an OT GWG goal against Toronto, our hosts tried to have a fan favorite on the show, Alex Galchenyuk, but he declined the invitation as he's currently out of the country. Don't miss out! Live from Toronto, 7 pm, presented by Chipotle.

6-3 Toronto, Habs will take too many penalties, Leafs' PP1 unit will make our young D suffer

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

Not sure about 5 games. That's the first line MSL made when he joined and he said "that's a line that will be together for a long time".
Then we found out that's a line that works well together but not for a long time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure about 5 games. That's the first line MSL made when he joined and he said "that's a line that will be together for a long time".
Then we found out that's a line that works well together but not for a long time.

I don't have the proof on how many games they tried it so most if not all of us are relying on memory.

The area that can be not comprehended well is why it was changed. Some say performance and ignore the injuries to the other lines that forces changes.

If it was so bad, MSL would not be trying it again. That's my take on it anyways. And I do think they might try it with certain teams in the match-up game. Anderson has performed very well against the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad