Habs are the worst defensive team in the league

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Just takes time. Guhle and Hutson are crazy talents and they'll be fine. The Xhekaj experiment needs to end though. He's not a good dman. Move him to wing and see if he can play that. He's a fighter at this point and likely will only ever be that. If they can pick up a top line center it'll be scary. Suzuki is a lot better than most likely think though, but he's a high end 2nd line center imo

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I think some fans see other teams go into deep rebuilds and struggle to find winning culture and see how long it can take to become competative again. See Sabres, Red Wings, Oilers of the 2010's, etc.

IMO completely reasonable to not want to be on the rebuild treadmill.
Not clear to me how any Habs fans thought we’d take a step forward this year, this is a bottom 5 team through and through

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Not clear to me how any Habs fans thought we’d take a step forward this year, this is a bottom 5 team through and through
Habs definitely should be seeing progression at this point though, even if it's small increments. There's enough talent on that team and a goalie who keeps you in most games.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Hutson needs to be sheltered, but that's part of the process for players like him.

The problem is their 3rd pair is probably the worst in the NHL, and they don't have a #1 that can eat minutes without bleeding goals. They simply can't shelter those who need to be.

Chalk it up to growing pains. They'll be good eventually.
growing pains, baby steps, building a home not a house, teaching and learnin, not about wins, standings don't matter,

These clichés / excuses are on the verge
of getting old and tiresome to a lot of Hab fans.

He is so out of his league.
MSL : "building a home not a house" he really said that 😅

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
growing pains, baby steps, building a home not a house, teaching and learnin, not about wins, standings don't matter,

These clichés / excuses are on the verge
of getting old and tiresome to a lot of Hab fans.

MSL : "building a home not a house" he really said that 😅
Yeah, we are three years in the warm and fuzzy stage.

Team has no clue how to play without the puck or how to defend in their own zone but the love fest continues. It was and is still is a PR hiring.

Reactions: PaulD

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That only means they'll get another top 10 pick and probably a top 15 (from Calgary).

They should also add a few good pieces next year (Demidov, Hage, Laine, Mailloux).

No one expected to contend this year (maybe Habs fans?), but i think they are well managed and should be a force in 2-3 years
Correct me if I’m wrong but there are protections on Calgary’s pick that make it a lot more likely that Montreal ends up with Floridas pick no?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, we are three years in the warm and fuzzy stage.

Team has no clue how to play without the puck or how to defend in their own zone but the love fest continues. It was and is still is a PR hiring.
Habs have 2 vets in Savard and Matheson. Guhle had 114 games. X and Barron basically 1 full nhl season of games. Stubble under half a season. Hutson a raw rookie basically.

Habs wanted answers on the kids as to who will be around long term as they have others coming up behind them.

But did they really set themselves up to find out those answers playing that many youngsters at one time? Does it get better after they move off Savard either via trade or ufa? And inserting another raw rookie in his place if most of the other kids don’t take a step this season?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Habs definitely should be seeing progression at this point though, even if it's small increments. There's enough talent on that team and a goalie who keeps you in most games.
Progression in performance isn't always linear. Especially not when a team is hit by waves of significant injuries several years in a row.

But regardless, I think management needs to work harder at building the best roster possible. This team is lacking in several departments.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Correct me if I’m wrong but there are protections on Calgary’s pick that make it a lot more likely that Montreal ends up with Floridas pick no?
Only if Calgary's pick is top 10.

So i'd say they're more likely to get Calgary's pick than Florida's. But that could quickly change.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But regardless, I think management needs to work harder at building the best roster possible. This team is lacking in several departments.
There has to be an acceptance from the team and fans that a better roster also means adding veterans and not just dropping all of your prospects into the NHL. That may very well mean replacing Savard with another veteran if they don't see the progression they hoped with most of their young blueline vs just add Mailloux/Reinbacher in Savard's spot. Might mean moving off any or all of X/Struble/Barron if they don't show enough this season and letting those 2 kids take their spots.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Takes a while for the vast majority of young d-man to get good defensively in the NHL. Hutson is an exciting player who is only going to get better in the D zone as he figures things out.

Unfortunately for him the Habs D on the whole isn't too great at the moment. Take a guy like Lohrei, another exciting offensive minded d-man. Still a long way to go for him in his own end (he's improving), but he is much more sheltered due to being on a team with a strong defensive group. Once Hutson and the other young guys play more games the Habs defense will improve quite a bit. Simply going to take some time. The Habs are headed in a good direction.

Reactions: dukeofjive

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Takes a while for the vast majority of young d-man to get good defensively in the NHL. Hutson is an exciting player who is only going to get better in the D zone as he figures things out.

Unfortunately for him the Habs D on the whole isn't too great at the moment. Take a guy like Lohrei, another exciting offensive minded d-man. Still a long way to go for him in his own end (he's improving), but he is much more sheltered due to being on a team with a strong defensive group. Once Hutson and the other young guys play more games the Habs defense will improve quite a bit. Simply going to take some time. The Habs are headed in a good direction.
Boston has a bunch of Veteran Dman like Lindholm, McAvoy, Carlo, Zadorov who all have hundreds of games of NHL experience under them playing the tough minutes. Peeke had 230 games coming into this season. Wotherspoon had over 50 while Lohrei had 40.

The Bruins have a roster that allows them to shelter Wotherspoon and Lohrei.

Habs have Matheson/Savard and then a massive drop off in experience to Guhle and his 114 games then to Barron in the 90's and X in the 80's for games played. So, did Montreal do a good job in the off-season to set up their roster to develop their young blueline? Or should they have made a call to move off one of X/Struble/Barron in favor of another veteran to help shelter 2/3 of these kids, along with Hutson?

Reactions: Peasy and PaulD

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Guessing time

•When do ya pull the trigger ?

•Candidates for next head coach?

Boston has a bunch of Veteran Dman like Lindholm, McAvoy, Carlo, Zadorov who all have hundreds of games of NHL experience under them playing the tough minutes. Peeke had 230 games coming into this season. Wotherspoon had over 50 while Lohrei had 40.

The Bruins have a roster that allows them to shelter Wotherspoon and Lohrei.

Habs have Matheson/Savard and then a massive drop off in experience to Guhle and his 114 games then to Barron in the 90's and X in the 80's for games played. So, did Montreal do a good job in the off-season to set up their roster to develop their young blueline? Or should they have made a call to move off one of X/Struble/Barron in favor of another veteran to help shelter 2/3 of these kids, along with Hutson?
And a real head coach to shelter current coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad